The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

DragonClaws

Maybe the City Hunter stuff should be moved in the modern Martial Arts forum?.

I know I suggested this before, but maybe we should dedicate a thread to Eurek'as releases?.

New art-work for the City Hunter release.

• Like 2

Now Eureka has got hold of City Hunter?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Hunter-Blu-ray/dp/B07F8C25DB?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07F8C25DB&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• BRAND NEW 2K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
  • Original Cantonese mono audio track (also available in 5.1 presentation)
  • Optional English and Mandarin audio tracks
  • Interviews with Jackie Chan
  • Interview with director Wong Jing
  • Interview with stuntman and longtime member of Jackie Chan's stunt team, Rocky Lai
  • The Jackie Chan Experience - an interview with Richard Norton
  • Evolution of a Fighter - an interview with Gary Daniels
  • Outtake montage
  • First print only: A Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film
  • First print only: Limited edition slipcase
Edited by Bull3t42
  • Like 1

DarkKnight

No suprise on the lack of Bey Logan Commentary.

Next thing they'll release Crime Story.  I bet you.

Edited by DarkKnight

I just preordered CITY HUNTER because it ostensibly includes the original mono track.  I hope we get what's been promised!

1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

Next thing they'll release Crime Story.  I bet you.

I sure as hell hope so!  There's never been a good release of that underrated Jackie flick

Though, on my list of least favorite JC movies, I might have to get this. Rather surprised that Eureka would release it. Instead, I would have expected Wheels on Meals or OUATIC to get the next treatment. I am assuming they will at some point in the future. It makes sense then that Eureka will continue its HKL styled releases. Good news either way! I am all in favor of porting all those old extras onto these new releases. I certainly don't have all of the HKL releases and it saves space to have everything on one release. The only loss then, really, is the Bey Logan commentary. 

Yeah, maybe it is time to create a dedicated Eureka thread now. We now know that there will be some additional titles, but how many, no clue. Well, I am sure some people know but they are not allowed to say. I really was only expecting a few of the more popular JC titles and perhaps OUATIC and then that would be it from Eureka. However, secretly, I really would love to see them release as many as they can. They are doing an excellent job so far. If 88 and Eureka can continue to get more Golden Harvest titles to us and 88 the SB titles, then, all that I have to worry about is how to fit these future titles into my budget. I guess that there could be worse things in life to worry about. 

• Like 3

ShawAngela

i recently got the Eureka release of Dragon Inn and when I tested the discs, it looks GREAT !!

I'll buy also Iron Monkey and a musical I had seen in a cinema when I was around 15 years old : Cover girl, with Rita Hayworth.

• Like 2

Irongod2112

Hello everyone! :)

To those who don't know me from the bluray.com forum. I just want to let everyone here know I'm currently working with Eureka on their Hong Kong bluray releases. Take a look at all the (updated as of yesterday) specs on the Police Story box set and I think you guys will be very pleased with what I was able to accomplish with them so far.

I'm currently looking for help from the fans for upcoming releases.

That includes City Hunter.

So if anyone has any rare photos lobby cards or anything cool you think should be on this release & future releases please contact me.

I'm especially looking for someone who has a large HK laserdisc collection with the ability to rip audio.

I'm currently looking for the HK laserdisc of City Hunter put out by Star.

I want Eureka to use the impressive stereo audio from that LD as another option to go with the mono track.

Sorry to post in this thread but I figured this was the best place to post this. If someone wants to start a Eureka thread I can post updates there if you guys would like.

Btw I have respect for HKR and what  they do and they are welcome to contact me as well.

Hope to hear from some of ya soon! :)

• Like 6

DragonClaws
31 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

Sorry to post in this thread but I figured this was the best place to post this. If someone wants to start a Eureka thread I can post updates there if you guys would like.

Which forum do Kung Fu fandom forum reader's/contriutor's think the thread would be best suited to, as they have both old school, A Touch of Zen, Drunken Master, Dragon Gate Inn. Plus much later titles, such as City Hunter and Police Story 1&2.

Edited by DragonClaws

Irongod2112
3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Which forum do peole think the thread would be best suited to, as they have both old school, A Touch of Zen, Drunken Master, Dragon Gate Inn. Plus much later titles, such as City Hunter and Police Story 1&2.

I wasn't sure ethier which is why I posted in this thread :)

DragonClaws
6 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

Maybe the general Martial Art's discussion thread?.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/3/2018 at 1:47 AM, jrodefeld said:

I recently saw this DVDBeaver review of the new Eureka Blu-ray of Iron Monkey.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/iron_monkey_blu-ray.htm

This paragraph caught my eye:

"Iron Monkey suffers also in that it is presented here only in the cut Miramax provided for its North American distribution.

Man, when I read this I almost shit! 😜 I'm so glad this is NOT the case (for those that don't read back first) the quote was from a review discussing both the US Blu-ray release (cut) and the new Eureka release which IS the original Hong Kong version of the film. I went on a 25 second emotional roller-coaster ride that started out with outrage, disbelief and confusion. 😂

On 7/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, Bull3t42 said:

Got my copy of Iron Monkey the other day but, not had a chance to check it out yet. Still watching Lone Wolf & Cub...

Much as I dig IRON MONKEY, it cannot be watched over LONE WOLF AND CUB. If that were the case, what kind of world would this be? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! 😄

1 hour ago, Irongod2112 said:

Hello everyone! :)

To those who don't know me from the bluray.com forum. I just want to let everyone here know I'm currently working with Eureka on their Hong Kong bluray releases. Take a look at all the (updated as of yesterday) specs on the Police Story box set and I think you guys will be very pleased with what I was able to accomplish with them so far.

I'm currently looking for help from the fans for upcoming releases.

That includes City Hunter.

So if anyone has any rare photos lobby cards or anything cool you think should be on this release & future releases please contact me.

I'm especially looking for someone who has a large HK laserdisc collection with the ability to rip audio.

I'm currently looking for the HK laserdisc of City Hunter put out by Star.

I want Eureka to use the impressive stereo audio from that LD as another option to go with the mono track.

Btw I have respect for HKR and what  they do and they are welcome to contact me as well.

Hope to hear from some of ya soon! :)

Wow @Irongod2112, that's great news. Thanks for looking out for these releases from a fan's POV. Hopefully some of the forum people will be willing and able to help provide these releases with the elements that will make them great.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Which forum do Kung Fu fandom forum reader's/contriutor's think the thread would be best suited to, as they have both old school, A Touch of Zen, Drunken Master, Dragon Gate Inn. Plus much later titles, such as City Hunter and Police Story 1&2.

Good question.

59 minutes ago, Irongod2112 said:

No worries. This thread was a decent first choice.

52 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I agree @DragonClaws. I'll start a thread there for this, and @Irongod2112 can add any info about it there, and members can keep in touch publicly on the things needed and progress in finding them.

• Like 4

@Irongod2112 , thank you SO much for advising Eureka on these crucial releases!  I just checked out the updated POLICE STORY box specs.  Wow, so much better than before!  Do you know if they're doing any much-needed digital cleanup and color grading on the extended Japanese cut?  And, might you be able to get them to subtitle the theme song during the opening and closing credits of the Japanese cut?  And English subtitles for all versions will be properly translated and not dubtitles, yes?  Also, it appears they sourced the original English dub that fits the HK version from a Dutch VHS...?  Is there no better source than that?  From whence came the original dub used for HKR's release?

Re: CITY HUNTER, super stoked for this, especially if the Star LD stereo soundtrack can be located, ripped and added!  Whatever happens, might you be able to ensure that the hilarious "Gala Gala Happy" song is properly subtitled (along with the rest of the film of course, no dubtitles allowed!)?  I've never seen it subtitled outside of theatrical prints and the old LD, and without subtitles it's a bust for English-only speakers.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for what you're doing, and hopefully some of our denizens here can help out with materials for extras!

• Like 1

I think a Eureka thread is a good idea as it seems there's a lot more to come from them and they're doing a great job so far. City Hunter isn't really one of my faves either but it's a decent film and i'm sure the disc will be great so i'll probably get it. I don't want to make the same mistake that I made with the HKL titles that I didn't bother with and then regretted it when they went out of print.

• Like 3

Irongod2112
1 hour ago, WaverBoy said:

IronGod, thank you SO much for advising Eureka on these crucial releases!  I just checked out the updated POLICE STORY box specs.  Wow, so much better than before!  Do you know if they're doing any much-needed digital cleanup and color grading on the extended Japanese cut?  And, might you be able to get them to subtitle the theme song during the opening and closing credits of the Japanese cut?  And English subtitles for all versions will be properly translated and not dubtitles, yes?  Also, it appears they sourced the original English dub that fits the HK version from a Dutch VHS...?  Is there no better source than that?  From whence came the original dub used for HKR's release?

Re: CITY HUNTER, super stoked for this, especially if the Star LD stereo soundtrack can be located, ripped and added!  Whatever happens, might you be able to ensure that the hilarious "Gala Gala Happy" song is properly subtitled (along with the rest of the film of course, no dubtitles allowed!)?  I've never seen it subtitled outside of theatrical prints and the old LD, and without subtitles it's a bust for English-only speakers.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for what you're doing, and hopefully some of our denizens here can help out with materials for extras!

The extended Japanese cut of Police Story will be the same quality as the Japanese bluray. It will have the superior laserdisc audio and I have supplied them quality subtitles for it as well. No dub titles I promise! :) The songs were not subtitled.

City Hunter I'm working on getting the LD audio from another fan but it's not a done deal yet so if anyone has this ready to go please message me.

I need laserdisc audio for everything HK related going forward so any laserdisc guys out there that can rip audio please contact me. I use to have one of the largest HK LD collections but sadly sold them off in the late 90s :(  but I still have all that knowledge to use when getting proper audio tracks.

Just talked to Eureka today about City Hunter and they should be adding subtitles to Gala Gala Happy song.

Can anyone recommend the best subtitles for City Hunter? I personally have no problem with the HKL DVD subs but I know some people are a bit more picky. 

Going forward I will try to answer all questions anybody might have in this thread and try to update when possible. Thanks :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

IronGod, thank you SO much for advising Eureka on these crucial releases!  I just checked out the updated POLICE STORY box specs.  Wow, so much better than before!  Do you know if they're doing any much-needed digital cleanup and color grading on the extended Japanese cut?  And, might you be able to get them to subtitle the theme song during the opening and closing credits of the Japanese cut?  And English subtitles for all versions will be properly translated and not dubtitles, yes?  Also, it appears they sourced the original English dub that fits the HK version from a Dutch VHS...?  Is there no better source than that?  From whence came the original dub used for HKR's release?

I had a tv recording of City Hunter, in which I'm sure the song was properly subtitled. I'm not sure if I still have it, or if it featured the same theatrical subtitles.

• Like 2

ShawAngela
On 6/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, ShawAngela said:

Talking about Eureka, I had seen their blu ray release of Iron Monkey available for preorder on zavvi a few weeks ago, but when I tried to preorder it a few days ago, this titles has totally disappeared from zavvi's site.

Does anyone know what happened ?

Ok, Iron Monkey has reappeared ! But I don't see any English subtitles mentioned in the description. Can anyone confirm if there are English subtitles in this release or not, please ?

I tried to find the related post talking about this release, but well, either I didn't properly search, either I didn't search for long enough and I'm a little bit busy at this moment, so, sorry if the information has already been mentioned somewhere in the forum and thanks for any answer regarding this matter.

• Like 1

ShawAngela
10 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Ok, Iron Monkey has reappeared ! But I don't see any English subtitles mentioned in the description. Can anyone confirm if there are English subtitles in this release or not, please ?

I tried to find the related post talking about this release, but well, either I didn't properly search, either I didn't search for long enough and I'm a little bit busy at this moment, so, sorry if the information has already been mentioned somewhere in the forum and thanks for any answer regarding this matter.

Ok, sorry for the above post. I directly went to Eureka site and found that there are English subtitles, so, everything is alright !!

• Like 2

I can see The Odd Couple appearing in these releases, already available on a japanese BD-R in True HD,it looks excellent but the english subs were poor.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 12:14 PM, Irongod2112 said:

The extended Japanese cut of Police Story will be the same quality as the Japanese bluray. It will have the superior laserdisc audio and I have supplied them quality subtitles for it as well. No dub titles I promise! :) The songs were not subtitled.

City Hunter I'm working on getting the LD audio from another fan but it's not a done deal yet so if anyone has this ready to go please message me.

I need laserdisc audio for everything HK related going forward so any laserdisc guys out there that can rip audio please contact me. I use to have one of the largest HK LD collections but sadly sold them off in the late 90s :(  but I still have all that knowledge to use when getting proper audio tracks.

Just talked to Eureka today about City Hunter and they should be adding subtitles to Gala Gala Happy song.

Can anyone recommend the best subtitles for City Hunter? I personally have no problem with the HKL DVD subs but I know some people are a bit more picky. 

Going forward I will try to answer all questions anybody might have in this thread and try to update when possible. Thanks :)

Might you be able to persuade them to subtitle the POLICE STORY theme song for the opening credits of the Japanese cut?  And THANK YOU for getting them to subtitle Gala Gala Happy for CITY HUNTER!!!  And for all your other efforts to get these HK classics released properly!

Irongod2112
12 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Might you be able to persuade them to subtitle the POLICE STORY theme song for the opening credits of the Japanese cut?  And THANK YOU for getting them to subtitle Gala Gala Happy for CITY HUNTER!!!  And for all your other efforts to get these HK classics released properly!

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Again I'm still looking for any fans who want to contribute to City Hunter and the next releases I'm currently working on that I can't currently discuss at this time.

Everything for the Police Story set is complete and no more changes can be done unfortunately. I even tried to get the soundtrack for Police Story 1 on this release but it was just not in time.

Still looking for anyone that has HK laserdiscs and the ability to rip audio.

I'm looking for quite a few things for future releases.

• Like 1

i have a lot of HK Laserdiscs but none of the "2k or 4K" remastered Series Movies because they sucked badly on HK LD (no subs, often Fullscreen etc). the only Stereo Remix on LD i got from that crap era is TWIN DRAGONS here.

One Armed Boxer
On 6/11/2018 at 3:57 AM, DragonClaws said:

Anyone here thinks its a good idea to have a Eureka Classics thread?, or shall we just stick with creating new one's, with each new release?.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:19 AM, DragonClaws said:

I know I suggested this before, but maybe we should dedicate a thread to Eurek'as releases?.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:58 PM, Irongod2112 said:

If someone wants to start a Eureka thread I can post updates there if you guys would like.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:31 AM, DragonClaws said:

On 7/7/2018 at 3:06 AM, andy338 said:

I think a Eureka thread is a good idea as it seems there's a lot more to come from them and they're doing a great job so far.

Done!  All discussions on the fantastic Eureka! releases have now been consolidated into this thread.  Keep up the great work @Irongod2112!  Look forward to your updates.

• Like 1