The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Chemical Lemon

Don't follow rumors so this came as a big surprise. They did a great job on a touch of zen and dragon inn this year, I wonder if that influenced this decision 

• Like 1

4k for old kung fu? one can only dream bud. :D

i wonder what elements they will be using since all of seasonal pictures movies have mould stains on them cos the owner kept them on a shelf instead of in a film lab ,this is proberbly why the jap released used jap prints instead of a scan of the negatives.

Edited by lungfei
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.co.jp/「酔拳」「蛇拳」製作35周年記念限定3枚-Blu-ray-ジャッキー・チェン/dp/B00FQ6GDPY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482654950&sr=8-4&keywords=drunken+master

Well, unless a new scan was done then this will be the scan that was used for the Japanese blu-ray release from a few years ago. That release was probably the one that Hong Kong Rescue used to make their boot. I imagine that Eureka! will do an excellent job with this release and we should support them so that they may release some more martial arts films at some point. They could easily end up releasing Snake in the Eagle`s Shadow as there is an HD master for that one ready to go too.

This box set release was from Dimension Films/Sony and pretty sure it was a 2k scan from the negative; and not a theatrical print. If they were using a theatrical print for the HK cut, then they got really lucky as it looks excellent (other than color timing, which was emphasizing the green). As an extra, there was a Japanese theatrical print included, but, it is a different edit than the HK master used. It is missing the opening fight scene, plot and title sequence. Instead, the Japanese print opens with Jackie practicing his forms. Hope that Eureka! re-do the color timing to be more like the Japanese theatrical print, which I think is more authentic to how it should look.

Here are some screenshots from the main film (HK):DM 1.png

DM 2.png

DM 3.png

DM 4.png

DM 5.png

DM 6.png

DM 7.png

Now, check out the Japanese theatrical print that was also included in the box set as an extra:

DM Japanese print 1.png

DM Japanese print 2.png

DM Japanese print 3.png

DM Japanese print 4.png

DM Japanese print 5.png

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WVBRJ1L/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B06WVBRJ1L&linkCode=as2&tag=httpeurekacou-21

Up for pre-order 24th April 2017, extras include;

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES: 

• Definitive transfer from 4K digital restoration
  • The original complete Cantonese soundtrack, rarely heard on home video
  • Alternate Cantonese, English and Mandarin audio options
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Audio commentary by Hong Kong film experts Ric Meyers and Jeff Yang
  • New video interview with director Yuen Woo-ping
  • Video interview with Jackie Chan
  • New video interview with film scholar Tony Rayns
  • New video appreciation by director Gareth Evans (The Raid film series)
  • Deleted scene
  • Original trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new writing and archival imagery

I'll be getting this for sure & I hope it does well and they keep the releases coming!!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, andy338 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WVBRJ1L/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B06WVBRJ1L&linkCode=as2&tag=httpeurekacou-21

Up for pre-order 24th April 2017, extras include;

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES: 

• Definitive transfer from 4K digital restoration
  • The original complete Cantonese soundtrack, rarely heard on home video
  • Alternate Cantonese, English and Mandarin audio options
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Audio commentary by Hong Kong film experts Ric Meyers and Jeff Yang
  • New video interview with director Yuen Woo-ping
  • Video interview with Jackie Chan
  • New video interview with film scholar Tony Rayns
  • New video appreciation by director Gareth Evans (The Raid film series)
  • Deleted scene
  • Original trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new writing and archival imagery

I'll be getting this for sure & I hope it does well and they keep the releases coming!!

Hope they do release so other Asian/Martial Arts titles.

I'm not sure about their choice for the audio commentary with Ric Myers. I've never heard Jeff Yang do a commentary before, so cant comment on him.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
13 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Hope they do release so other Asian/Martial Arts titles.

I'm not sure about their choice for the audio commentary with Ric Myers. I've never heard Jeff Yang do a commentary before, so cant comment on him.

I'm pretty sure that is the old commentary from the R1 Columbia Tristar release.

Here is Brian T (from HKMDB forums; tried to get him to come on here) on the commentary:

This is a decent track for newbies to the joys of Hong Kong cinema, touching as it does on information that could come in handy should one decide to venture outside the cinema of Jackie Chan. To devotees, everything these commentators say will be old hat, but there's a nice sense of pace here and the two are never at a loss for things to say. Yang's contribution is slight and, one might say, arguable, since his book on Asian Cinema is a comparitive lightweight, and Meyer's presence may also be regarded by some with suspicion, as he's known for the occasional error (too much research at IMDB, perhaps?) or cultural faux pas like the one here in which he declares that Asians can "understand" the martial arts and their use in movies, the way "we" can suss out variances in music stylings. Nonetheless, this is hardly the latter's worst endeavour, and he's to be commended (as always) for his obvious love of the subject. Not a dynamic listen by any stretch, with Meyers dominating for the duration, but well-paced and informative at a beginner's level, and a reasonable springboard into the world of Hong Kong cinema for those new to the field.

• Like 3

Others have mentioned on the Eureka facebook page that the Ric Myers commentary is poor and riddled with errors, apparently it is on (I think) the Australian release, so yes it's a little disappointing but I only tend to listen to the commentaries once anyway so I won't let it spoil the release.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, andy338 said:

so yes it's a little disappointing but I only tend to listen to the commentaries once anyway so I won't let it spoil the release.

If only Jackie himself would sit down with someone to talk about his films. You are right, the commentary doesn't spoil the overall release.

10 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I'm pretty sure that is the old commentary from the R1 Columbia Tristar release.

Here is Brian T (from HKMDB forums; tried to get him to come on here) on the commentary:

Thanks for information MOOIP, much appreciated.

masterofoneinchpunch
Just now, DragonClaws said:

If only Jackie himself would sit down with someone to talk about his films. You are right, the commentary doesn't spoil the overall release.

Thanks for information MOOIP, much appreciated.

It has been years since I have heard the commentary myself and I had not taken any notes on it.  But I do remember there being some factual issues (and given what I learned since I had last listened to it I sure I could find a lot more.)  This is a case where a newer commentary should have been done.  Heck Yang has learned a lot more since this commentary.  Here is my small review on Yang's book.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andy338 said:

Others have mentioned on the Eureka facebook page that the Ric Myers commentary is poor and riddled with errors, apparently it is on (I think) the Australian release, so yes it's a little disappointing but I only tend to listen to the commentaries once anyway so I won't let it spoil the release.

Yep, it's on the Australian release.

On 12/25/2016 at 10:36 AM, reason108 said:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/「酔拳」「蛇拳」製作35周年記念限定3枚-Blu-ray-ジャッキー・チェン/dp/B00FQ6GDPY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482654950&sr=8-4&keywords=drunken+master

Well, unless a new scan was done then this will be the scan that was used for the Japanese blu-ray release from a few years ago. That release was probably the one that Hong Kong Rescue used to make their boot. I imagine that Eureka! will do an excellent job with this release and we should support them so that they may release some more martial arts films at some point. They could easily end up releasing Snake in the Eagle`s Shadow as there is an HD master for that one ready to go too.

This box set release was from Dimension Films/Sony and pretty sure it was a 2k scan from the negative; and not a theatrical print. If they were using a theatrical print for the HK cut, then they got really lucky as it looks excellent (other than color timing, which was emphasizing the green). As an extra, there was a Japanese theatrical print included, but, it is a different edit than the HK master used. It is missing the opening fight scene, plot and title sequence. Instead, the Japanese print opens with Jackie practicing his forms. Hope that Eureka! re-do the color timing to be more like the Japanese theatrical print, which I think is more authentic to how it should look.

Here are some screenshots from the main film (HK):DM 1.png

DM 2.png

DM 3.png

DM 4.png

DM 5.png

DM 6.png

DM 7.png

Now, check out the Japanese theatrical print that was also included in the box set as an extra:

DM Japanese print 1.png

DM Japanese print 2.png

DM Japanese print 3.png

DM Japanese print 4.png

DM Japanese print 5.png

the emphasis on green is to try and mask the presence of mould staining. ;)

you can see the mould stains clearly in HD so it is true then about mr NG not putting his films in a film vault. :(

here is a extra from soulblade dance of the drunken mantis which shows before and after mould removal.

https://vid.me/jXGX

https://vid.me/WAHA

here is a snippet from tsui hark's the butterfly murders same damage present.

https://vid.me/k2Li

this might also explain why hkl release of legend of a fighter drunken master and snake in the eagle shadow were masked off to 1:77 to hide damage on the negative. ;) also why ninja in the dragon's den has heavy dnr applied to it.

Edited by lungfei
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Asmo said:

Yep, it's on the Australian release.

Sure thats the Enlgish track that Hong Kong Legends used for their first DVD release of Drunken Master?.

• Like 1

now people on facebook complaining that they used the recent dub instead of the classic one with ted thomas and crew. :D

Edited by lungfei

1 hour ago, lungfei said:

now people on facebook complaining that they used the recent dub instead of the classic one with ted thomas and crew.

You could have a triple disc set loaded with brand new extras, commentaries, countless audio options etc, and still get complaints.

• Like 4

Propably shouild support this. It`s not one JC I would have wanted as BR..Snake in the eagles shadow or dragon fist please...

Still one of his best films right after absolute favs  but I can imagine never wanting to hear rick meyers commentary if not mood for jokes..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

You could have a triple disc set loaded with brand new extras, commentaries, countless audio options etc, and still get complaints.

You're absolutely right & this is what gets me about many fans nowadays. To get these films on blu ray, uncut & with various language options as well as an assortment of extras is a real treat and we should all support the release so Eureka (hopefully) can bring us more titles but already on facebook there's loads of negativity about the new english dub.  I preferred the old one too but the new one really isn't that bad and this is still an upgrade on my HKL dvd. As I said before stuff like commentary & extras tend to be a once only watch for me anyway so i'm really not fussed if they are not quite up to scratch. I have to say as well that I think the cover looks great, artwork tends to be another thing that many people moan about.

Edited by andy338
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, andy338 said:

You're absolutely right & this is what gets me about many fans nowadays. To get these films on blu ray, uncut & with various language options as well as an assortment of extras is a real treat and we should all support the release so Eureka (hopefully) can bring us more titles but already on facebook there's loads of negativity about the new english dub.

When Asian films first started to appear on DVD via lables like HKL, there didn't seem to be as much negativity. That said the internet was a much smaller place back then. Just having the option to change the audio track, and have a nice uncut digital print in the original ratio was enough. With internet shopping, came further options for buyers/fans. You could pick up another release, if you didnt like the one available in your area. Or even better, pick up titles that you didnt have access to in your country. Then fans became spoiled and this was no longer enough, slowly becoming more and more picky. Don't get me wrong all companies should strive to make the best release they can. However, its not as easy as many people think to get a film out there. We all pick stuff apart and point out dislikes, but if you focus on these things too much, you'll find a reason to not buy most releases from any genre.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

When Asian films first started to appear on DVD via lables like HKL, there didn't seem to be as much negativity. That said the internet was a much smaller place back then. Just having the option to change the audio track, and have a nice uncut digital print in the original ratio was enough. With internet shopping, came further options for buyers/fans. You could pick up another release, if you didnt like the one available in your area. Or even better, pick up titles that you didnt have access to in your country. Then fans became spoiled and this was no longer enough, slowly becoming more and more picky. Don't get me wrong all companies should strive to make the best release they can. However, its not as easy as many people think to get a film out there. We all pick stuff apart and point out dislikes, but if you focus on these things too much, you'll find a reason to not buy most releases from any genre.

This is true, if you listen to interviews/podcasts with guys like Rick Baker (Eastern Heroes) & Bey Logan they explain that there's really not much money to be made from these films which is why companies like HKL & Dragon Dynasty stopped trading so there's very little incentive for companies to even bother, with that in mind arranging brand new commentaries etc which all adds to cost is not really an option. For those of us who grew up watching grainy, censored vhs tapes these blu rays are f***ing awesome!!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Sure thats the Enlgish track that Hong Kong Legends used for their first DVD release of Drunken Master?.

I was referring to the Ric Meyers commentary. No idea about any tracks that the HKL DVD had, as I've never owned it.

7 hours ago, Asmo said:

I was referring to the Ric Meyers commentary. No idea about any tracks that the HKL DVD had, as I've never owned it.

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2122

I did own DM hkl but traded it off as mentioned never that huge fan of flick but bad aspect ratio helped decision of getting rid...

Cover art tho quite crap, in this forthcoming dual format release nicer..It`s not likely amazon drops price of this small label release but if it does to 15£ I get it!now thinking...

About time! Love the cover! Can`t wait for this; will certainly be getting it day 1. This will be a nice compliment to my Japanese release. At least there will be English subs this time around. Hope that it really is the complete original Cantonese audio track because that seems to be the thing that everyone has been complaining about for all these years. Now, the real question will be if the "definitive" transfer (from a 4k digital restoration) is the same one as the Japanese version or is this a newer transfer? Sounds like this is as good as it gets no matter what. My guess is that it will be the same master as the one used for the Japanese release. I do wish that they would color correct it to look more like the Japanese theatrical print though. 

• Like 2