The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Omni Dragon

• LIMITED EDITION O-CARD (First print run only)

What exactly is an 'O-CARD'?

• Like 2

No English subtitles ?

I can't see the trailer (don't agree with cookies on twitter...)

I’d be absolutely shocked if there were no English subs on this release... I almost feel like (and hope) they left that bullet point out because its too obvious

• Like 3

Omni Dragon

It says there's English subtitles in the 'Product details' but not the 'Product description':

amazon IRON MONKEY.png

amazon IRON MONKEY b.png

Interesting to see that it's the 17th bestselling Blu-ray and 66th bestselling in DVD & Blu-ray on amazon.co.uk at the moment. I don't think I would have guessed a HK movie would do so well, especially as it's a pre-order about 12 weeks from release.

• Like 3

No English subtitles ?

I can't see the trailer (don't agree with cookies on twitter...)

I’d be absolutely shocked if there were no English subs on this release... I almost feel like (and hope) they left that bullet point out because its too obvious

Well, since Eureka is releasing it, there will be English subs.

It says there's English subtitles in the 'Product details' but not the 'Product description':

amazon IRON MONKEY.png

amazon IRON MONKEY b.png

Interesting to see that it's the 17th bestselling Blu-ray and 66th bestselling in DVD & Blu-ray on amazon.co.uk at the moment. I don't think I would have guessed a HK movie would do so well, especially as it's a pre-order about 12 weeks from release.

Well, Eureka prepared us martial arts films fans by releasing Drunken Master and a couple of King Hu films. Hoping they tackle Police Story and the Once Upon a Time in China series next since there are now true HD masters available. Not that I expect them to become the next HKL label or anything like that. But, they should realize that we need these classic films in true HD with original mono and given the respect that they truly deserve. 

What exactly is an 'O-CARD'?

A slip cover. 

Edited by reason108
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

Well, Eureka prepared us martial arts films fans by releasing Drunken Master and a couple of King Hu films. Hoping they tackle Police Story and the Once Upon a Time in China series next since there are now true HD masters available. Not that I expect them to become the next HKL label or anything like that. But, they should realize that we need these classic films in true HD with original mono and given the respect that they truly deserve@reason108

It would be great to see them release more Hong Kong classics on officially Blu-Ray, or just more Martial Arts titles in general. Might be worth suggesting some titles to them via social media/email?, I know some company's dont listen to fan/consumer feedback, but they might be different?.

And when did slipcovers start being reffered to as O-CARDS'S?.

Local South African promoitonal poster.

33fb5127ead285ec38477e629b83622a.jpg

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 3/26/2018 at 2:11 AM, DragonClaws said:

And when did slipcovers start being reffered to as O-CARDS'S?.

C'mon dude, a slipcover is no longer just a slipcover.

You have your O-Cards, your Lenticular Slips, your Full Slips, Semi-Slips, Slippery Slips....the list goes on.

As much as, you've probably guessed, I find the whole slipcover deal to be quite amusing, I do feel they've played a large part in the revival of physical media.  Collectors will always love physical media, and they only thing they love more, is limited edition physical media.  Slipcovers have become the poison of choice for many distributors to market their products as limited editions, so in all honesty I say good on them, I more than anyone am delighted to see the revival of physical media in niche genres such as ours, so if slipcovers are what it takes, that's fine by me.

Oh, and to specifically answer your question, an O-Card type of slipcover is one that wraps around the DVD case, but you can slip it off either the top or bottom because neither end is enclosed, hence the 'O'.

I'll let you figure out the rest.:tongueout 

• Like 1

DragonClaws
49 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

As much as, you've probably guessed, I find the whole slipcover deal to be quite amusing, I do feel they've played a large part in the revival of physical media.  Collectors will always love physical media, and they only thing they love more, is limited edition physical media.  Slipcovers have become the poison of choice for many distributors to market their products as limited editions, so in all honesty I say good on them, I more than anyone am delighted to see the revival of physical media in niche genres such as ours, so if slipcovers are what it takes, that's fine by me.

They might be putting more effort into the slippery slip-covers than the extras in some cases?. Whats the point in putting a movie on DVD/BR, but not including any extras at all?. It's so they can sell the movie again as a collectors edition, then the limited edition, then the ultimate edition, then the extended edition. Happy with the picture and sound on the latest Kickboxer release, but they put zera extras on there. Disney just re-issued all their Marvel movies with, wait for it, limited eidtion slip case covers. The DVD's are still the same bare bone releases though.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thank you Eureka! Not only for releasing this tremendously entertaining classic, but for giving it the full treatment- booklet, special features, etc.

I just pre-ordered IRON MONKEY and also Eureka's LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN (which I've never seen).

• Like 2

I'll certainly be picking this up as I gave away my hkl platinum edition years ago during a clear out and then regretted it when the hkl titles became much harder to acquire. The extras look like they're the same as the hkl platinum disc but i've no interest in the slipcover thing, I actually bin them as I think blu rays look better in cases.

• Like 1

This is a terrible film  . Sped up to hilt and plenty of stupid wirework.  One of Donnie Yen's worst. They should just release classics. .  This is like the hong Kong equivalent of those boring superhero film's but worse . . No more please. . This was probably first of the film's  I saw were they  fly , swung  and hop round on wires.  Was shocked by how silly  it was .Put me off Kung fu film's for a while.If u love wirefu  get fist of legend instead  as less of it so better film. 

Edited by robbie

If you know me, you probably already know that I'm ecstatic that this is getting a uncut blu-ray release with the original Cantonese mono. I'm hoping they give this treatment to more Hong Kong classics in the future. Definitely considering pre-ordering this release! They deserve the support!

4 hours ago, robbie said:

This is a terrible film  . Sped up to hilt and plenty of stupid wirework.  One of Donnie Yen's worst. They should just release classics. .  This is like the hong Kong equivalent of those boring superhero film's but worse . . No more please. . This was probably first of the film's  I saw were they  fly , swung  and hop round on wires.  Was shocked by how silly  it was .Put me off Kung fu film's for a while.If u love wirefu  get fist of legend instead  as less of it so better film. 

First off, I always appreciate a devil's advocate, so good job!

Anyway, I absolutely love Iron Monkey. It's one of my favorite Hong Kong movies ever. I can understand if you're not into wire-fu. It's definitely not for everyone since some prefer more grounded, realistic fight scenes. I personally tend to really like wire-fu since it allows the choreographer's creativity to fly (literally). I've seen some absolutely crazy stuff done with wire-fu. On top of that, I really enjoy the story in Iron Monkey. Even if you dislike the wire-fu action, I still feel you can still get some entertainment and investment from the story itself. You said "They should just release classics." I'd argue Iron Monkey is a classic and deserves this blu-ray release, even if you personally don't think so. :wink

Out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite martial arts movies? You mentioned Fist of Legend, which I agree is a fantastic movie, but what are some others?

Edited by KenHashibe

On 3/29/2018 at 3:52 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Thank you Eureka! Not only for releasing this tremendously entertaining classic, but for giving it the full treatment- booklet, special features, etc.

I just pre-ordered IRON MONKEY and also Eureka's LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN (which I've never seen).

Hope your copy of Legend of the Mountain has arrived by now. If not, I hope that you truly enjoy it. It`s a very beautiful and poetic film. 

On 4/4/2018 at 3:47 AM, robbie said:

to many  maybe to name. Off top of my head . the ones i enjoyed the most  are  probably   enter the dragon, in line of duty iv ,snake in eagles shadow, snake in monkeys shadow, drunken master 1& 2, undisputed 3, wheels on meals, royal warriors, hitman in hand of buddha, revenge of ninja ., a.w.o.l., bloodsport, best of the best 2, tiger cage 2, righting wrongs, police story project a , warriors two, tiger on beat, firewalker, missing in action 2.,enter the fat dragon, the victim

Iron monkey is so poor in comparison. watching a guy swung round on a wire sucks.  In u.k even when hkl film's were going for quite abit it remained at  £1 in bargain bin.  My views are all unbiased. Alot on here must be  on  payroll or bribed with free gifts  . They do not understand  action films depends on great action scenes , memorable chararacters , capable action stars . .  On here most feel we are after some type of oscar winning acting, wirefu , cgi, superhero nonsense . When should be looking at commando ,the principal ,death wish 3, maniac cop 2, death race 2. etc as benchmarks in action film .

:monk_laughing:All opinions are based on bias. That is why it is an opinion and not a fact.  

• Like 4

I have the UK blu-ray from Eureka and it is a real must-buy for fans of this film! For those without region-free players, one really should pick up the Kino release. The 3 hr version released here really takes the film from a good movie to a classic. 

• Like 2

Very much looking forward to this. I know I shall buy blindly without having seen it. The trailer looks fantastic, and it is King Hu, who was still at the height of his film making powers at this point.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, saltysam said:

Thanks for sharing the link, PS 1&2 Box-Set sounds pretty good to me. Nice to see these getting a U.K release, well done Eureka Entertainment

It cost more to the get these individualy on DVD, when HKL put them out here, around £20 at the time.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

KenHashibe
12 hours ago, saltysam said:

Wow! Good to hear Eureka is releasing the first two films (maybe another company still owns distribution rights to Supercop?)! Knowing Eureka, it's probably the new 4k restorations with original mono tracks and English subtitles. Pretty awesome! I'm gonna hold off on pre-ordering however since I don't currently own a multi-region blu-ray player and because I've heard that the Police Story films will be getting US releases later this year (which I'll talk about in a bit). According to the runtime of 221 minutes, I would assume that this blu-ray has the extended cut of PS2 (which is not my preferred cut of the film) but I'm hoping that they will include the original cut on there as well.

According to sources on the Blu-ray.com forum, Janus Films has acquired the US distribution rights to Police Story (and presumably the sequels though I can't confirm this). This could mean a potential Criterion release which would be amazing! I've been dreaming of a Criterion release of Police Story for a long time and it's great that it may be happening (and soon)! It's nice to see them returning to their Hong Kong action movie roots. Some of the first Criterion releases were for Supercop, Hard Boiled, and The Killer.

• Like 3

If they release this on Criterion, I'd be quite happy to grab it. I have the Dragon Dynasty release of the original, and an old HK dvd of the second. That US cut intrigues me as I've never seen it, even with watching a bunch of his movies back in the day on USA network.

• Like 1

KenHashibe

Here are all of the specifications and special features that Eureka posted:

• Special Limited Edition Box Set (3000 units)
  • 1080p presentations of both films, sourced from immaculate 4K restorations including Police Story 2 in its full 2 hour version for the first time ever in the UK
  • Original Cantonese mono audio track for Police Story
  • Restored Cantonese 5.1 audio presentations for both films
  • Optional English audio tracks
  • Optional Mandarin audio tracks
  • Optional English subtitles
  • The "Police Force" version of the first film, originally re-edited for the US video market and featuring its own electronic score by Kevin Bassinson
  • Jackie Chan (40 mins) A documentary on Jackie Chan s early career from cult film documentary series, Son of the Incredibly Strange Film Show
  • Archival Interview with Jackie Chan (20 mins)
  • Interview with Benny Lai (15 mins)
  • Police Story Deleted and extended scenes, including alternate opening and ending sequences
  • Police Story 2 Outtakes
  • Jackie Chan's Stunts - promotional trailer
  • Box set exclusive Collectors booklets for each film, featuring new essays and archival content

So it seems that there's no original mono for PS2. I hear that the Japanese laserdisc is the only source for the original mono for PS2. I think it's super cool that they're including the original US version of PS along with the original HK cut (some people have misinterpreted this and thought that it only includes the US version. This release more than likely includes both versions). The US cut of PS isn't my favorite, but I've heard some people really like it and have been dying to see it on DVD and Blu-ray. Wish they had included the original cut of PS2.

This may not be an absolutely flawless release, but it's still pretty damn great! Again, I'll be waiting the US release when/if it comes. Having a Region B Blu-ray of PS in my house with no means of playing it would drive my nuts.

17 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

If they release this on Criterion, I'd be quite happy to grab it. I have the Dragon Dynasty release of the original, and an old HK dvd of the second. That US cut intrigues me as I've never seen it, even with watching a bunch of his movies back in the day on USA network.

All I need from the Criterion release is the 4k restoration and the original Cantonese mono with English subs. The US cut would just be more icing on the cake. I'm not a huge fan of the US cut as I prefer Michael Lai's original score (and the telephone scene is cut), but I still enjoy it enough. I do like the synth soundtrack by Kevin Bassinson during the bus chase in the US cut though I definitely prefer the original music. It's nice to watch at least once as a completist.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Hats of to Ereka Entertianment, this looks like one sweet little set, and the aiddtion of the booklets top it off nicely.

Look forward to seeing how the packaging is going turn out.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2