The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

21 hours ago, DiP said:

Unfortunately not. Someone here quoted a response from Eureka concerning the HK cut and they won't bother including it because they consider it an "inferior" version of the movie.

Really? That’s a surprising response. Eureka usually take their customers seriously.  And they do sometimes comment and take suggestions over at blu-ray.com. They have already contacted a member over there when he mentioned that he had a high quality digital file of the original mono track from ps2.

His latest comment about it all is this:

Eureka got back to me today and are letting
me help them and would like my input on future HK films they will be releasing icon_biggrin.gif

So I just sent them the original
Cantonese mono from the Japanese laserdisc.

And they have it now rock.gif 

They unfortunately cannot do the PS2 theatrical cut because they are not allowed to alter the 4k scan in any way.

They did however offer to maybe include a standard def version for the fans.

Now I told them if it was the same source as the HKL DVD it would probably be better to skip it. But if it was a newer source with correct audio that would be worth it. 

Nothing is set in stone yet though.

What do you guys think? Let me know and I will relay it back to them. 

Im also trying to get them to include the full Japanese cut of PS1 as an extra. They are looking into it, but probably won't be able because of the rights. 

They are double checking for me though so pray for a miracle icon_smile.gif

So it all has to do with rights.

Edited by Chrisron
  • Like 2

A standard def version of the HK cut would do just fine (for me anyway), that way I could replace my HKL disc. Perhaps if enough requests are made for it they might change their mind?

I've pre-ordered this and can't wait for it to come next week. I'm not nitpicking but can't help noticing all the old HKL extras are on it except for the Bey Logan commentary, have Eureka made a decision not to use it because of the recent allegations against him?

A standard Def cut even if uses the same source as the HKL DVD would be better than nothing. As an extra I'd welcome it.

Police Story 2 HK cut is 2hours long right? In that case it's the one I saw.

I really need to watch the US cut, curious to see what's "better" about it. 

edit: If they cut the interrogation scene with the girls it's almost automatically inferior to me

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Guess each person has a different view of what cut is the best, or which one's should not be included. This doesnt just apply to PS2, but any film. Hard if not impossible to get a definitive cut/edit of a single film, as often the filmakers themselves all have different ideas, about what to cut or include. Then there's the international version, that includes new footage, and remove other parts. I've never watched the longer cut of PS2, but I find the international version long enough. That said, I wouldnt moan about the inclusion of alternatives cuts on any physical release.

On 6/13/2018 at 9:42 AM, DragonClaws said:

Guess each person has a different view of what cut is the best, or which one's should not be included. This doesnt just apply to PS2, but any film. Hard if not impossible to get a definitive cut/edit of a single film, as often the filmakers themselves all have different ideas, about what to cut or include. Then there's the international version, that includes new footage, and remove other parts. I've never watched the longer cut of PS2, but I find the international version long enough. That said, I wouldnt moan about the inclusion of alternatives cuts on any physical release.

Though not always financially possible for certain releases, I always prefer to just have the main movie on one disc and the extras on a separate disc. But, there are exceptions to that rule. For instance, if all a company has is a trailer or a couple of trailers it would not make sense to do that. But, normally, I just want to see the main film in the best PQ it can be in. So, the less compression used or perhaps, better bit rate, etc, all of that adds to a better PQ (generally speaking). So, if there are a sh*t-ton of extras then just put them on a 2nd disc. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 7:50 AM, andy338 said:

I've pre-ordered this and can't wait for it to come next week. I'm not nitpicking but can't help noticing all the old HKL extras are on it except for the Bey Logan commentary, have Eureka made a decision not to use it because of the recent allegations against him?

It’s possible and probably the reason why! But, it’s all assumptions at this point. I’m not aware that Eureka has made any formal statement and doubt they would. Unless it would have cost them more money or Bey had some contractual stipulation with Premier Asia, then it probably would be the only other real reason why. But, again, this is just my guess and I have no insider knowledge.

looks like this will have the japanese cut in HD (With sidetitles) as an extra but with the superior laserdisc audio. Also seems certain that an SD version of the theatrical PS2 will be on there as well.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, saltysam said:

looks like this will have the japanese cut in HD (With sidetitles) as an extra but with the superior laserdisc audio. Also seems certain that an SD version of the theatrical PS2 will be on there as well.

Hope they're at least allowed to do what they can to clean up the Japanese cut.

I recently saw this DVDBeaver review of the new Eureka Blu-ray of Iron Monkey.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/iron_monkey_blu-ray.htm

This paragraph caught my eye:

"Iron Monkey suffers also in that it is presented here only in the cut Miramax provided for its North American distribution. The balance between comedy and violence is made to be more agreeable to Western audiences – the ones who can't or won't read subtitles, we must presume. (On the other hand, I'm no fan of undercranking, which the original version suffers from during some of the fight scenes.) And a new music score was also composed. OK, this isn't a case like the seriously truncated Seven Samurai with which many Americans first became acquainted, but to not have both versions is a missed opportunity as well as, I want to believe, a miscalculation. It would be nice if this collection of Blu-rays, especially the Chinese movies, is not purchased in huge numbers but, instead, rented; and that the distributor will learn the right message from this. They certainly won't pay much attention to those reviewers, many I imagine, who feel much as I do."

This is discouraging news.  The new restorations are great, but the distributors still need to step up and present these films the way they ought to be presented.  Eureka is a fairly good label, even if this title isn't among the more prestigious "Masters of Cinema" collection.  If even they are still screwing up these releases, I don't have too much faith in the other releases coming down the pike.

Luckily Hong Kong Rescue will continue to do right by these films and release them the proper way.  Why these studios can't show these films the same respect is mind-boggling.

I'm still waiting for my supplier of cases to have more in stock.  They've been back-ordered for several weeks but they assure me they'll have new titles in stock within a week or two.  If you've recently placed an order, it'll be sent out as soon as I can possibly send it.  If you'd like to place an order, feel free but be aware that there may be a small delay in fulfilling the order.

https://hkrservices.lpages.co/hong-kong-rescue-collection/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrodefeld said:

I recently saw this DVDBeaver review of the new Eureka Blu-ray of Iron Monkey.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/iron_monkey_blu-ray.htm

"Iron Monkey suffers also in that it is presented here only in the cut Miramax provided for its North American distribution. The balance between comedy and violence is made to be more agreeable to Western audiences – the ones who can't or won't read subtitles, we must presume. (On the other hand, I'm no fan of undercranking, which the original version suffers from during some of the fight scenes.) And a new music score was also composed. OK, this isn't a case like the seriously truncated Seven Samurai with which many Americans first became acquainted, but to not have both versions is a missed opportunity as well as, I want to believe, a miscalculation. It would be nice if this collection of Blu-rays, especially the Chinese movies, is not purchased in huge numbers but, instead, rented; and that the distributor will learn the right message from this. They certainly won't pay much attention to those reviewers, many I imagine, who feel much as I do."

This is discouraging news.  The new restorations are great, but the distributors still need to step up and present these films the way they ought to be presented.  Eureka is a fairly good label, even if this title isn't among the more prestigious "Masters of Cinema" collection.  If even they are still screwing up these releases, I don't have too much faith in the other releases coming down the pike.

Luckily Hong Kong Rescue will continue to do right by these films and release them the proper way.  Why these studios can't show these films the same respect is mind-boggling.

I'm still waiting for my supplier of cases to have more in stock.  They've been back-ordered for several weeks but they assure me they'll have new titles in stock within a week or two.  If you've recently placed an order, it'll be sent out as soon as I can possibly send it.  If you'd like to place an order, feel free but be aware that there may be a small delay in fulfilling the order.

https://hkrservices.lpages.co/hong-kong-rescue-collection/

That review seems to reflect the US version. The Eureka release contains the HK version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Paragraphs in white refers to the US BD whereas those in green the UK BD.

Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

Got my copy of Iron Monkey the other day but, not had a chance to check it out yet. Still watching Lone Wolf & Cub...

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, jrodefeld said:

Like @Asmo has already pointed out, the Eureka release doesnt contain the U.S cut. I cant say this enough, official releases have much more legal red tape to go through, and they have to put up money for the extra features, rather then just lift from other releases.

9 hours ago, jrodefeld said:

"Iron Monkey suffers also in that it is presented here only in the cut Miramax provided for its North American distribution.

How can someone have reviewed the Eureka release, when it doesnt contain the U.S cut?, or am I getting crossed wires here?.

16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Like @Asmo has already pointed out, the Eureka release doesnt contain the U.S cut. I cant say this enough, official releases have much more legal red tape to go through, and they have to put up money for the extra features, rather then just lift from other releases.

How can someone have reviewed the Eureka release, when it doesnt contain the U.S cut?, or am I getting crossed wires here?.

As @DiP pointed out, the review makes reference to both the UK and US blurays. So I guess you could look at it as a comparison of each. 

• Like 1

DragonClaws
1 minute ago, Asmo said:

As @DiP pointed out, the review makes reference to both the UK and US blurays. So I guess you could look at it as a comparison of each. 

Thanks for pointing that out @Asmo, I just didnt want the official releae to be wrongly bad mouthed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for pointing that out @Asmo, I just didnt want the official releae to be wrongly bad mouthed.

Don't blame you, it's a solid release. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Asmo said:

That review seems to reflect the US version. The Eureka release contains the HK version.

You're right, my mistake.  That paragraph was directly below the cover art for the Eureka release, so I thought that was the version being discussed.  Plus it was preceded by "Presented from a brand new, stunning 2K restoration, Eureka Classics is proud to present this iconic martial arts classic making its UK debut on Blu-ray."

Anyway, I don't want to give the wrong impression about this release.  If it is indeed a solid effort from Eureka, then people should buy it.  Good for them.

• Like 2

KenHashibe

Wow!

Big news regarding the upcoming Police Story 1/2 Blu-ray from Eureka. They've just added a ton of extras that I'm sure a lot of you will be excited to hear (I've highlighted everything that's new):

Disc One - Police Story

• Police Story (100 mins) – 1080p presentation sourced from the incredible new 4K restoration
  • Four unique Audio options: Original Cantonese Mono audio track; Restored Cantonese 5.1; Restored English 5.1 dub track AND an additional audio track featuring an alternate English dub sourced from a rare Dutch VHS release of Police Story that has never been officially released on any other version of the film
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Police Story: The Japanese Cut (105 mins - HD) – Originally released exclusively to Japanese home video, this extended cut of the film was transferred to HD from a film print in 2012 and makes its UK debut here with it’s original Cantonese audio and English subtitles for the first time ever
  • Police Story: The Police Force Cut (84 mins - SD) – A unique version of the film edited exclusively for the American home video market, featuring a unique dub track and electronic score
  • Police Story – Alternate and Deleted Scenes, including alternate opening and ending sequences
  • Archival Interview with Jackie Chan (20 mins)
  • “Jackie Chan Stunts” – Promotional trailer
  • Trailers
  • Collectors Booklet featuring new writing on the film and a selection of rare archival material

Disc Two - Police Story 2

• Police Story 2 (121 mins) – 1080p presentation of the extended version of the film, sourced from the incredible new 4K restoration
  • Original Cantonese Mono audio, along with restored Cantonese and English 5.1 options
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Police Story 2: The Original Hong Kong Version (101 mins - SD) – The original cut of Police Story 2, presented with it’s original Cantonese mono audio track and optional English subtitles
  • Optional Audio Commentary with Miles Wood and Jude Poyer (Hong Kong Version of the film)
  • Police Story 2: Original UK Version (90 mins - SD) – An alternate cut of the film created for the film’s UK VHS release, featuring a unique English dub track
  • “Jackie Chan” - Son of the Incredibly Strange Film Show (40 mins)
  • Archival Interview with Benny Lai (15 mins)
  • Outtakes
  • Trailers
  • Collectors Booklet featuring new writing on the film and a selection of rare archival material

Looks like Eureka is really concerned with making their costumers happy! This is pretty close to a perfect release (at least in my opinion). I'm especially interested in that alternate English dub for PS from a Dutch VHS. And thankfully they have the Japanese version of PS and the Cantonese mono now for PS2. Now I'm somewhat distraught though, since I was okay with not buying this initially and just wait for a US release. But now, I'm considering buying a multi-region Blu-ray player just so I can get this! We'll see what happens. I wouldn't be particularly happy to drop almost $200 to see this. 😁

Excellent news nonetheless!

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1

KenHashibe

Eureka is continuing its trend of releasing Hong Kong classics with City Hunter! Release date: September 17, 2018.

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/city-hunter

• Limited edition slipcase (First print run only)
  • Stunning 1080p presentation from a brand new 2K restoration
  • Original Cantonese mono audio track (also available in 5.1 presentation)
  • Optional English and Mandarin audio tracks
  • Interviews with Jackie Chan
  • Interview with director Wong Jing
  • Interview with stuntman and long time member of Jackie Chan’s stunt team, Rocky Lai
  • "The Jackie Chan Experience" - an interview with Richard Norton
  • "Evolution of a Fighter" - an interview with Gary Daniels
  • Outtake Montage
  • A Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film (first print run only)

• Like 1

DragonClaws
17 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

Looks like Eureka is really concerned with making their costumers happy! This is pretty close to a perfect release (at least in my opinion). I'm especially interested in that alternate English dub for PS from a Dutch VHS. And thankfully they have the Japanese version of PS and the Cantonese mono now for PS2. Now I'm somewhat distraught though, since I was okay with not buying this initially and just wait for a US release. But now, I'm considering buying a multi-region Blu-ray player just so I can get this! We'll see what happens. I wouldn't be particularly happy to drop almost $200 to see this. 😁

Excellent news nonetheless!

Fantastic news, thanks for sharing this @KenHashibe, they are clearly trying their best, but I'm sure some fan's still wont be happy. It's upto you Ken, but if moneys tight, I'd buy the release, before it goes up in price, like they sometimes do. You can always pick up a Blu-Ray player later, though I know this means waiting longer to see it.

Hats off to the team over at Eureka.

206564_slip.jpg

DragonClaws
18 minutes ago, KenHashibe said:

Eureka is continuing its trend of releasing Hong Kong classics with City Hunter! Release date: September 17, 2018.

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/city-hunter

Hope these releases get enough support, for them to continue this turned of releasing H.K titles into 2019 and beyond. Hopefuly with a few lesser known pictures released, for the die hard fans, who already have multple versions of the more well known titles.

I dont have as much free cash for importing a lot of titles, which means I have to be picky at times. Its wonderful to see people on the forum from all over the world, supporting releases from a smal label in Britian, and vice versa.