The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

I prefer to watch the original Cantonese with English sub. Really no use for the English dub but it sucks for those that want it.

On 3.4.2017 at 9:17 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Call me a snob, but I don't really do customs. I tend to lean towards legitimate releases. I know, I know I'm probably preventing myself from getting some nice, "definitive" versions of classics.

I`m with you on this. Have to be pretty heavy reasons if go for custom/dvd-r(if official release is shorter cut, bad aspect ratio or poor quality then perhaps if great movie is concerned). Just mere audiotrack, not worth it, one exception though. Would like to get Shaolin Temple(shaw brothers) with English audio because bit surprisingly dialogue in that is smarter than in subtitled version. Hoping 88 releases it:cool

Well, I was really hoping for a review of the blu-ray, itself. But, cool! There has been an on-going question/issue about the color timing due to the previous Japanese release being green tinted on the HD master that was used for the main film. There was also an included 35mm theatrical print that looked more like a film from that era should look. The Eureka trailer for the new blu-ray release looks a lot better and it seems that the green push is no longer an issue; or, not as much as one. Really looking forward to this release and hope that it is as perfect as can be. Only time will tell!

Mike Leeder

its a really good looking disc, although i am not the best one for the indepth disc assesement, I still love my laserdiscs!  

Its a pity ref clearence issues preventing the use of original dub, and the Tony Raynes piece is a bit "oooh this is a Masters of Cinema release?" condescension piece but the audio commentary by Jeff Yang and Ric Myers is as funny as ever...Ric who has recently started claiming a close friendship to Jackie Chan since they first met in Hong Kong in 1978 ,( Kung Fu Trailers of Fury) states on here that since he first met Jackie in 84 or 85.....ah contradiction city, "I think thats Bolo, some people think its Bolo, I am not sure if its Bolo" etc

Jeff Yang tries to put across various info while Ric waffles

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

its a really good looking disc, although i am not the best one for the indepth disc assesement, I still love my laserdiscs!  

Its a pity ref clearence issues preventing the use of original dub, and the Tony Raynes piece is a bit "oooh this is a Masters of Cinema release?" condescension piece but the audio commentary by Jeff Yang and Ric Myers is as funny as ever...Ric who has recently started claiming a close friendship to Jackie Chan since they first met in Hong Kong in 1978 ,( Kung Fu Trailers of Fury) states on here that since he first met Jackie in 84 or 85.....ah contradiction city, "I think thats Bolo, some people think its Bolo, I am not sure if its Bolo" etc

Jeff Yang tries to put across various info while Ric waffles

I think that anyone other than Ric Myers could have done that commentary; perhaps some random dude off the street. :laugh Really no idea why they used that old interview. A black eye on what otherwise appears to be a stellar release. Yeah, too bad about that English dub but I only plan on watching it with the Cantonese soundtrack with English subs.

My copy dispatched so hopefully it shouldn't`t be too long before I can watch it. I still think that the Japanese box set that was released in 2013 is a great box set. The only problem with that release was the lack of English subs and the PQ for DM was slightly off; with a greenish tint to the skin tones in certain scenes. Hopefully, this release from Eureka does not have that problem; or less of an issue with it.

Edited by reason108
  • Like 1

My order was dispatched this pass Saturday, I should be receiving it in the next week or so (my Amazon UK orders usually takes 2+ weeks to be delivered here in the USA). 

I ordered directly from Eureka so I have no idea how long it takes. But, hopefully not as long as Amazon. I have seen recently that some companies are using faster shipping, same cost, than Amazon and releasing earlier than the listed release date. It never use to be that way in the past. But, I am not going to complain that I am getting something sooner than release date at a cheaper price and faster shipping for the same price. :smile 

• Like 1

Received my copy today. What I thought it would be regarding PQ! The Cantonese audio sounds complete. Others have verified it too. A decent release with a couple of nice extras. 

• Like 2

Great news!

I originally saw the Hong Kong cut of this film and I thought, poor King Hu, he really lost "it", and that his last good film was Raining in the Mountain. Then I saw the full cut and everything that didn't make sense in the HK cut was explained and it is another masterpiece.

I hope they do all the King Hu - Hsu Feng films. Wish they were all on the same label in the US though.

• Like 2

Looks good to me! I will just stick to the Eureka! releases and not worry about the US release unless there is something really amazing about it. 

• LIMITED EDITION O-CARD (First print run only)
  • Stunning 1080p presentation from a brand new 2K restoration
  • Original Cantonese mono audio track (also available in 5.1 presentation)
  • 5.1 English audio track
  • Isolated Music & Effects track
  • Interview with Donnie Yen (20 mins)
  • Interview with producer Tsui Hark (25 mins)
  • Interview with Yu Rong-kwong (27 mins)
  • Interview with stuntwoman and actress Li Fai (25 mins)
  • Interview with actress Angie Tsang (20 mins)
  • Iron Fist (16 mins) A behind-the-scenes look at the action choreography of Iron Monkey
  • Shadow Boxing (8 mins) a featurette on Hong Kong action choreography featuring Alex Yip
  • Footage of Li Fai and Angie Tsang competing at the 2003 Wu Shu Championships
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • A collector s booklet featuring a new essay on the film (First print run only)
  • Like 5

TheKungFuRobber

would be interesting if original UNCUT Version or the horribly butchered USA Version...

It will be the uncut version. The American version was not released over here, as the film was released through Scenepalm Limited of The Rank Organisation in the UK back in 1993, and later through Medusa Communications with license from Star TV Filmed Entertainment (now Fortune Star). I believe HKL mainly sourced their prints from directly from hired broadcast tapes like Eastern Heroes did in their early days, which explains why a lot of their media was presented in 1:78.1 rather than 2:35.1. Fortune Star still own the rights to the film everywhere except for in the USA. I wish I could say the same for many other movies, such as Rumble in the Bronx, Enter the Fat Dragon, Tiger and Crane Fist and First Strike which are all owned by Warner Brothers/New Line or 20th Century Fox unfortunately.

Eastern Heroes put out some excellent flicks which are now out of print. If we could get a new official release of Hitman in the Hand of Buddha, Secret Rivals, Snuff Bottle Connection and Hells Windstaff I'd be very happy, because these films are sitting in the hands of Seasonal Films and I'm sure are complete versions available.

• Like 5