What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

• Administrator
Huge Hendrix fan here. I wish they would release Live in Atlanta 70' in DVD form. I used to have it on VHS that I taped off of TV. I realize that most of it is on YouTube but I want an official dvd as I have everything else that has been released.

Atlanta is so much better than Isle of Wight,I'm sure Jimi is rolling in his grave that that show even got released. It has some brilliant moments but the fatigue,dope,equipment problems,poor organization really undermined the performance. Still, it has a sort of majestic pathos that is compelling, In From the Storm' is great and actually the newer material is pretty good, I think Jimi was tired of playing Foxey Lady,Watchtower etc and it clearly shows.

I agree completely with everything you said here. The family has been slowly releasing better versions of previously released stuff along with some never before released product too. I feel sure that the Atlanta '70 show will get it's due in a sweet release sometime soon.

I just watched Jimi on the Dick Cavett show again recently. Fun stuff. :nerd:

Despite the Alan Douglas-produced CD's having way too many problems to mention, I always loved the 1994 JIMI: THE BLUES CD. All of it was great, but the 12 minute long electric version of Here My Train A Comin' is simply astounding. I just ordered the 2010 re-release of Jimi Blues (CD/DVD Deluxe Edition) with an Amazon Gift Card I got for Christmas. Can't wait to hear it and check out the mini-doc. I'm anxious to hear if there's a big difference.

Did you happen to pick up the Winterland (5 CD Box Set) Amazon.com Exclusive? I'm tempted, but it's steep.

Justin Bieber

:neutral:

Oh, I can beat that.....

The-Backyardigans.jpg

:ooh: You poor, poor man. Your kids better take care of you when you get old bro. They really owe you!

• Administrator
I wish we could get this Black Sabbath Live in Paris 1970.(in HD) This is the awesomest shit Ive ever seen!!! GEEEZEER!!!!

Man... that rocked. I've always loved that song. Thanks for posting the clip.

The Silver Fox
I agree completely with everything you said here. The family has been slowly releasing better versions of previously released stuff along with some never before released product too. I feel sure that the Atlanta '70 show will get it's due in a sweet release sometime soon.

I just watched Jimi on the Dick Cavett show again recently. Fun stuff. :nerd:

Despite the Alan Douglas-produced CD's having way too many problems to mention, I always loved the 1994 JIMI: THE BLUES CD. All of it was great, but the 12 minute long electric version of Here My Train A Comin' is simply astounding. I just ordered the 2010 re-release of Jimi Blues (CD/DVD Deluxe Edition) with an Amazon Gift Card I got for Christmas. Can't wait to hear it and check out the mini-doc. I'm anxious to hear if there's a big difference.

Did you happen to pick up the Winterland (5 CD Box Set) Amazon.com Exclusive? I'm tempted, but it's steep.

:neutral:

:ooh: You poor, poor man. Your kids better take care of you when you get old bro. They really owe you!

I had the Blues cd but somebody borrowed it and it never got returned, great stuff the Red House,Jam 292,Here my Train etc. great playing all around. I'm gonna get that again. I never got the 5 disc Winterland set, like you said too steep. I got Axis Bold As Love\with dvd) for Christmas. The dvd is okay as it is basically Kramer going through some of the tunes in the studio messing around with faders etc. which is cool and Chas Chandler offers a few insights but it really is a pretty minor supplement.

With the advent of YouTube it seems there is some unbelievable Hendrix footage posted every other day,like the Albert Hall show from 1969(killer,killer Red House) I can't believe I used to pay like 20 bucks for a crummy 3rd generation VHS of Stockholm 69 which is a pretty hit and miss affair ha,ha.

3RPGuYl8ddc

I wish we could get this Black Sabbath Live in Paris 1970.(in HD) This is the awesomest shit Ive ever seen!!! GEEEZEER!!!!

That whole show is awesome!

Been listening to a lot of Hawkwind lately.

Secret Executioner

Been listening to alot of King Crimson these last few days.

Classic albums such as Larks' Tongues In Aspic or Islands (didn't like this one at first but now I love it), the compilation A Young Person's Guide To King Crimson (a 2-LP set with one of the most beautiful artworks ever) and some live material I could find on the Web: excerpts off Earthbound (their first official live album released in 1972), The Great Deceiver 4-CD set (now 2 2-CD sets, including 1973-1974 live material) and Live At Plymouth Guildhall, an official bootleg release from the "King Crimson Collectors' Club".

(is it me or do many of us seem to be into late 1960s/early 1970s music lately ? :tongue:

Secret Executioner

A fine turntable, some nice records and there you go for a great afternoon:

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon

Yes - Close To The Edge

OpiumKungFuCracker
No, what is that? Is it psychedelic music?

I think so/ Brit pysched/pop/garage stuff... Quote from Allmusic.com:

Originally appearing on LP from the Bam Caruso label in the 1980s, and then on CD on the Past & Present imprint in 2003, these first ten volumes (boxed) in the Rubble Collection were conceived and collected by Phil Smee. For fans of the Nuggets series, both the two American volumes and the British Nuggets, you won't find a lot of overlap. The Nuggets comps were and are for people who want what was at least the stuff of legend, if not readily available. The collection here digs deep and are, for the most part, flawless in what they present. This set, and its companion volumes 11-20 (a separate box), are very different creatures. For starters, they dig a lot deeper into the hopelessly obscure 45s and tapes of Brit psychedelia, freakbeat, Mod, and pop. For every cut by Sharon Tandy & les Fleur de Lys, the Glass Menagerie, Pretty Things, and Flying Machine and the Clique, there is at least one to match from acts like Peter & the Blizzards, Skip Bifferty, Life 'N' Soul, and Factotums. You're getting the idea. This is for the listener who wants to dig down and get virtually everything. There are some things missing here (the second box picked up a lot of that slack), and like other series' that go down into the underbelly of the '60s, some of what's here is drek. But there are real gems, too -- ,check out the Sharon Tandy cuts like "Hold On," on disc nine, or the Velvett Fogg's "Lady Caroline," on disc ten, or Fairytale's "Lovely People" that kicks off volume six. Then there's the completely cracked and whacked, such as Dragonfly's "Celestial Empire," Orange Seaweed's "Pictures in the Sky," and Focus Three's "10,000 Years Behind My Mind." In addition to these ten handsome volumes in a single fold-in case, there is a 93-page booklet completely annotating tracks and offering discographies for artists who actually had them. In 2007, Fallout in the U.K. reissued this box again, in a limited numbered (on the bottom) limited license, limited edition of 1000 copies at a more reasonable price than the previous version.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-rubble-collection-vol-1-10-mw0000321244

Straight from the Headbangers Ball!! well maybe not straight, but awesome nonetheless!!:squigglemouth:

g34JM4WLny0

Killer, underrated band!!

I think Halford must have got a lot of crap for it not sounding too much like Priest. What did you think of Small Deadly Space? That one was a bit of a departure.

HNrzlfuaioo

masterofoneinchpunch

Also a fan of Ministry especially the Land of Rape and Honey and The Brain is a Terrible Thing to Taste period. I liked Psalm 69 quite a bit too (when this was released I saw Ministry twice on the Lollapolluza tour at the Shoreline Amphitheater, when Thieves hit it was the biggest mosh pit I have ever been in when several smaller pits combined to cover about one third of the grass, I was a bit bloody after that).

Killer, underrated band!!

I think Halford must have got a lot of crap for it not sounding too much like Priest. What did you think of Small Deadly Space? That one was a bit of a departure.

HNrzlfuaioo

Yea! Underrated!! I didnt get a chance to get hear Small Deadly Space the first time around, (actually Im enjoying it now) I listened to more Priest but liked Fight also.

Also a fan of Ministry especially the Land of Rape and Honey and The Brain is a Terrible Thing to Taste period. I liked Psalm 69 quite a bit too (when this was released I saw Ministry twice on the Lollapolluza tour at the Shoreline Amphitheater, when Thieves hit it was the biggest mosh pit I have ever been in when several smaller pits combined to cover about one third of the grass, I was a bit bloody after that).

my parents hated Psalm 69!! :bigsmile: I loved it!!

Yea! Underrated!! I didnt get a chance to get hear Small Deadly Space the first time around, (actually Im enjoying it now) I listened to more Priest but liked Fight also.

Have you heard the original version of SDS or the remix/remaster (I think the remaster is only available via download or in the "Into the Pit" boxset)? There's a remaster of War of Words too, but I think the original sounds better, whereas with SDS, the original and the remaster both sound good.

Fight did the Priest songs they played justice as well, always liked this one (sounds better on cd than on youtube):

_EIoK0WPccI

I listen to a lot of Priest too, saw them in 2008. Still one of the best bands I've seen live.