What are we LISTENING to lately?

ministry88

Hey, just noticed after a cursory glance at this particular part of the forums that no one has brought up what kinda music they like or are currently listening to. I myself have been all over the place lately, as my latest haul attests:

-"Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar" (Frank Zappa) : Finally got this 3 CD boxed set after longingly eying it for so long. What a great coup! Being (somewhat) of a Zappa veteran already, this set of Zappa's guitar solos culled from mostly live performances blew me away with Zappa's inventiveness, tone, imagination, emotion, soul, and especially improvisation. And, if it's possible, it sounds unlike anything else the man has released (and that's saying something, as he has something like 50+ main albums ranging from jazz fusion, contemporary classical, hard rock, avant-garde rock, and electronic music!). I'll take Zappa's intuitive, soulful and rules-breaking guitar work over soulless guitar technicians like Yngwie Malmsteen any day. *On a related note, Zappa is in the small company of Jimi Hendrix, Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck, Eddie Hazel, Eddie Van Halen, John McGlaughlin, and Marty Friedman as one of my favorite guitarists.

-"Fuast IV" (Faust) - I've recently starting digging deep into Krautrock after listening to Can's classic album "Tago Mago." Amazingly ahead of its time stuff. Haven't heard this album yet, but can't wait to give it a spin when I have the energy and focus to give it the attentive listen it requires.

-"Sinsemilla" (Black Uhuru) - I love reggae, but think Bob Marley is overrated (gasp!). I think the best reggae is from the late 70s/early 80s when its orchestration got more sparse and just seemed to be more atmospheric (just my impression). Although my fave reggae band is Toots and the Maytals, go figure (hey, can't beat Toots Hibberts's amazing soul-man voice that can go the rounds with the US soul masters like Redding or Mayfield). Anyhoo, I loved this band's album "Red" and will surely love this one once I give it a spin, although it's too bad female vocalist Puma Jones (RIP) isn't on this one (although she's oddly on the cover!) -- I thought she gave a much-needed smoothness to the raspier harmonies of the male singers.

-"Burnt Weeny Sandwich" (Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention) - Again, haven't given this one a spin yet, but I've been meaning to pick this one up for a long time, as it's situated right in the middle of what I think is Zappa's golden era. I've heard it's similar to "Uncle Meat" in its jazzy experimentation and extended jam suites. Sounds good to me! Plus it has some nice doo-wop numbers, I've heard. I love Zappa's (and Captain Beefheart's) plays on doo-wop which manage to extract the unlikely soul and even eerie atmosphere of that genre.

-"Dreadlocks Dread" (Big Youth) - More reggae. Haven't heard it yet, but am looking forward to it. And it's the remaster. I don't buy original CD releases of older rock/reggae albums from before the mid-90s as those first analog-to-digital transcriptions always sound so hollow and tinny.

-"Okie Dokie It's the Orb on Kompakt" (The Orb) - One of my favorite electronic bands for sure. Been with 'em ever since "Orblivion" and would also recommend "U.F.Orb" and "The Orb's Adventures beyond the Ultraworld" as their best. Just gave a quick listen to this one on the airplane and it sounded...different. Not the frothy, hippy-dippy, blissed-out, sample-laden Orb I'm used to, but I'll give it a try. I do like the German approach to electronica (the label is German, and I think Thomas Fehlmann co-produced it), but I don't know if it fits The Orb...

Right now WE are listening to a R&B mixed CD I made, it has Jodeci, Guy, Blackstreet, Babyface, Brian Mcknight, Dave Hollister, Hi-Five, Keith Sweat and Jon B.

Last week I picked up Dave Hollisters newest CD, Witness Protection.

Picked up a couple of new albums I haven't had the time to work in properly yet, but seems good.

KRS-one & Marley Marl - Hip Hop Lives

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens

The Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

Black Milk - Popular Demand

Little Brother - Get Back

J Dilla - Pay Jay

9th Wonder & Buckshot - The Formula

Any thoughts there, Bus? ;)

Picked up a couple of new albums I haven't had the time to work in properly yet, but seems good.

KRS-one & Marley Marl - Hip Hop Lives

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens

The Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

Black Milk - Popular Demand

Little Brother - Get Back

J Dilla - Pay Jay

9th Wonder & Buckshot - The Formula

Any thoughts there, Bus? ;)

Those Blu & Exile and Black Milk cds are pretty good. Pay Jay is good too. Have you heard the new Elzhi?

I'm listening to Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient now.

Hopefully getting Vordul - Megagraphitti and Gza - Pro Tools cds after work today.

Those Blu & Exile and Black Milk cds are pretty good. Pay Jay is good too. Have you heard the new Elzhi?

I'm listening to Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient now.

Hopefully getting Vordul - Megagraphitti and Gza - Pro Tools cds after work today.

I'm pretty happy with them both so far. How is The Main Ingredient? I have Mecca and the Soul Brother lying around but haven't really been listening to it alot. Haven't heard the new Elzhi yet.. any good? Was just listening to Reunion when I read your post actually. Dilla's verse is beyond dope.

I'm pretty happy with them both so far. How is The Main Ingredient? I have Mecca and the Soul Brother lying around but haven't really been listening to it alot. Haven't heard the new Elzhi yet.. any good? Was just listening to Reunion when I read your post actually. Dilla's verse is beyond dope.

The Main Ingredient is a great album. I actually like it more than Mecca and the Soul Brother. They're both classics.

Elzhi's cd is quality. I think it's called The Preface. Black Milk did most of the beats, and Elzhi is nice lyrically. If you like Slum Village, Black Milk, etc, you'll probably like The Preface.

I might have to break out some Dilla when Main Ingredient is over.

ironfistedmonk

Any clubbers on here? I'm well into my dance music and have been since I was about 12 when I heard my first Rave tunes :D

Been listening to Night Music Vol. 3 from The Thrillseekers, brilliant double CD, anything from Above & Beyond is golden, also the Trance World CD's from Armada Records are pretty banging, those Dutch boys know how to make tunes. I know most of you guys are from the US and the dance scene is still pretty underground over there but there are some good producers and DJ's coming out of the US these days, Sean Tyas and George Acosta are pretty good.

Listening to Peggy Lee, Patti Page, Shirley Bassey, Liza Minnelli, Perry Como and Glen Campbell this week as they are all new arrivals from Amazon USA and Amazon UK.

ice cubes raw footage just came out... other than that, nothing really

rap/hip hop is in a droubt

How's Raw Footage? I stopped listening to Cube after Lethal Injection.

I picked up Gza - Pro Tools and Vordul Mega (of Cannibal Ox) - Megagraphitti on Tuesday. They're pretty good. Hip hop definitely isn't what it used to be, but you can find some good stuff if you dig for it.

I picked up Gza - Pro Tools and Vordul Mega (of Cannibal Ox) - Megagraphitti on Tuesday.

Hmm, I was listening to Cannibal Ox (Cold Vein) on my way home from work today. Havent picked up anything new since 8 Diagrams. Waitin for the new Styles Of Beyond Raseda Beach to drop (if it ever does).

Listening to Peggy Lee, Patti Page, Shirley Bassey, Liza Minnelli, Perry Como and Glen Campbell this week as they are all new arrivals from Amazon USA and Amazon UK.

Peggy Lee? I want to listen to her, but i'll only do it on 12''. IDK, i think thats the only way you can listen to her.