Radiance Films (UK) Blu-Ray Releases

Ronin

legendarycurry
4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Yeah that also got a raised eyebrow from me. I'm sure it'll be both the first and last time we see a Benny Chan movie getting compared to Miike Takashi.

Can't wait for Radiance to release Rosa and the cover art is an oil painting of Kara Hui looking all forlorn, and Yuen Biao is in the background with his back turned to camera, the title written in golden cursive at the bottom.

Then the front blurb is an all caps assault on the eyes comparing it to Linklater's Before trilogy, followed by it mentioning how it was written by the beloved auteur that knows how to make a good movie but doesn't know not to wear sunglasses inside,  in collaboration with the writer of Hard Boiled.

The Chungking Express namedropping before calling Rosa "Filled with the intense nature of a Kitano picture and the earnestness of Frank Capra" will have it flying off the shelves no doubt.

Luckily it has a reverse cover so people that wanna see Leung Jaan and the Young Auntie in an action comedy romp directed by the fella that did Incredible Kung Fu Master know they bought the right movie :

Rosa (1986) - IMDb

• Haha 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 3/19/2023 at 5:47 AM, ShawAngela said:

I ordered Big... from radiance almost right after they announced the movie, and I'm almost sure that I didn't receive this. I'll have to check my dvd to verify, but this doesn't rign a bell at all.

@ShawAngela, if you still want that Dirty Arthouse Vol 1 booklet, you can order during Radiance Films flash sale until Monday. But I'm sure the shipping will be more than the booklet itself.

https://www.radiancefilms.co.uk/products/dirty-arthouse-vol-1

Screenshot_2023-07-02 DIRTY-ARTHOUSE-vol 1 jpg (WEBP Image, 1680 × 2024 pixels) - Scaled (34%).jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Ann Hui's Visible Secret coming out in October.

VISIBLESECRET-3D_FRONT.jpg?v=1688473753&

I think it's important to note that this will be a one off single pressing and no standard edition will be released after this edition. Also I believe that Dylan Cheung will be working on new subtitles for this release.

Screenshot_2023-07-05 ѕнσgυη ѕυρяємє ( TimesSqKungFu) Twitter.png

• Like 4

Peter G. & Frankie Balboa reviewing A Moment of Romance. Sounds promising from a technical point of view regarding image & audio quality. Mentioned the color grading was handled by Radiance and the authoring and encoding by David Mckenzie of Fidelity in Motion who has done wonderful work for Eureka, Arrow, etc.

• Like 2

So in addition to Elegant Beast, it's also been confirmed that Radiance will release Koreyoshi Kurohara's 1957 noir, I will Be Waiting as part of a World Noir Vol. 1 box set. I'm only interested in the Kurohara film, so it's a shame it wasn't released separately as I have no interest in purchasing the box set. Limited to 3000 copies.

I AM WAITING

• High Definition digital transfer of I Am Waiting, on Blu-ray for the first time in the world
  • Original uncompressed mono PCM audio for all films
  • Optional English subtitles for all films
  • Newly designed artwork based on original posters
  • Limited edition 80-page perfect bound booklet featuring new writing on the films by critics and experts including Barry Forshaw on noir represented outside the US, William Carroll on post-war occupation period in Japanese cinema, Hayley Scanlon on Japanese noir, Pasquale Iannone on the hybrid nature of Italian cinema, and Sam Wigley on 50s world noir from other countries
  • Limited Edition of 3000 copies, presented in a rigid box with full-height Scanavo cases for each film and removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
  • Audio commentary by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp
  • Yujiro’s Travel Diary – a documentary on star Yujiro Ishihara during location shooting in Europe (1959, 42 mins)
  • The Yujiro Effect – a visual essay by Mark Schilling
  • Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork

In addition, Radiance teased that another Seijin Suzuki and Kinji Fukasaku title is on the way.

World-Noir.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

New blu ray releases from Radiance. Up for pre-order now. Release date Feb 26.

Black Tight Killers

After wooing stewardess Yoriko (Chieko Matsubara, Tokyo Drifter), war photographer Hondo (Akira Kobayashi, Battles Without Honor and Humanity) sees her kidnapped by a team of deadly female assassins who use vinyl records as weapons. Investigating her whereabouts, Hondo uncovers a conspiracy to steal a buried stash of WWII-era gold. Soon he must dodge go-go dancing ninjas and chewing-gum bullets to save Yoriko, whose family secret is tied to the hidden treasure. Every bit as stylish and inventive as the wildest works by his mentor Seijun Suzuki, Yasuharu Hasebe’s spy spoof is a gaudy 1960s pop delight that ranks with the likes of Joseph Losey’s Modesty Blaise and Mario Bava’s Danger: Diabolik!

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High-Definition digital transfer
  • Uncompressed mono PCM audio
  • Audio commentary by Jasper Sharp
  • Archival interview with director Yasuharu Hasebe
  • Trailer
  • Optional English subtitles 
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
  • Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by Japanese cinema expert Chris D.
  • Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings 

By A Man's Face Shall You Know Him

A community struggles against immigrant gangs in the ruins of postwar Tokyo. Only doctor Amamiya (real-life ex-yakuza Noboru Ando) can save them, but he had enough fighting in the war. His pacifism is severely tested by the gangs’ increasingly outrageous taunts and when his neighbours decide to take matters into their own hands, Amamiya is forced to take action. The consequences prove to be much more far-reaching than he could ever foresee. With a story spread across three time periods, Tai Kato’s ambitious revision of the yakuza movie was one of the first films to tackle the taboo subject of Japan’s Korean nationals, greatly influencing later directors such as Kinji Fukasaku and Takashi Miike.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High-Definition digital transfer
  • Uncompressed mono PCM audio
  • Visual essay on Noboru Ando by Nathan Stuart
  • Appreciation by filmmaker Kenta Fukasaku
  • Trailer
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
  • Limited edition booklet featuring new writing 
  • Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings 

Screenshot_2023-11-08 Black Tight Killers (LE).png

Screenshot_2023-11-08 By A Man's Face Shall You Know Him (LE).png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thundered mantis said:

These guys were not gonna release Rosa? I can't find it on their catalog nor in the coming soon announcements

I totally forgot about this title. They were also rumored to release a couple of Mike titles with Visitor Q being one of them. I love that film so that would make me a happy camper.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

They tweeted the other day that they are not releasing Visitor Q and it appearing on that invoice was a mistake leftover when they were setting up their website.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, dwk said:

They tweeted the other day that they are not releasing Visitor Q and it appearing on that invoice was a mistake leftover when they were setting up their website.

Killjoy! :laugh

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I totally forgot about this title. They were also rumored to release a couple of Mike titles with Visitor Q being one of them. I love that film so that would make me a happy camper.

Finally someone who loves Visitor Q! Very, very underrated movie. Needed to see it three times to realize it's not only twisted and bizarre (and brilliant), it's also beautiful. And it needs a BR release!

21 minutes ago, dwk said:

Well at least I was happy for those few seconds believing that day has finally arrived. 

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

These guys were not gonna release Rosa?

I believe that was a humorously sarcastic post from @legendarycurry, and definitely wasn’t to be taken seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

thundered mantis
16 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I believe that was a humorously sarcastic post from @legendarycurry, and definitely wasn’t to be taken seriously.

Yeah I read it diagonally and didn't grasp it. Damn I've been expecting it for 6 months lol

• Haha 1

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=33703

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy

Description: Before he made his name in Lone Wolf and Cub Tomisaburo Wakayama starred in this triptych of violent samurai spectacles that draw on James Bond and Spaghetti Westerns for inspiration yet feature the familiar style and blood-spattering action of the period. Wakayama stars as Doctor and spy-for-hire Shikoro Ichibei who in Shigehiro (The Streetfighter) Ozawa's Killer's Mission is hired to prevent the sale of firearms to a hostile Shogun. In Eiichi (13 Assassins) Kudo's follow-up, The Fort of Death, Ichibei is hired on a Seven Samurai-style mission to protect a village of farmers from a ruthless Lord. The final film sees Ozawa return for Eight Men to Kill, in which Ichibei is hired to recover a cache of stolen gold from the government's mine. Featuring an array of weapons and gadgets that would make Q proud with Ichibei supported by a band of helpers including fellow spies, ronin and female ninjas, the Bounty Hunter films deliver action thrills galore and deserve to sit alongside the celebrated action epics that followed.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
High-Definition digital transfer of each film presented on two discs, made available on Blu-ray for the first time in the world
Uncompressed mono PCM audio
Audio commentary on Killer's Mission by Tom Mes
Interview with film historian and Shigehiro Ozawa expert Akihito Ito about the filmmaker
Visual essay on Eiichi Kudo by Japanese cinema expert Robin Gatto
Series poster and press image gallery
Trailers
Optional English subtitles
Six postcards of artwork from the films
Reversible sleeves featuring artwork based on original posters
Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by samurai film expert Alain Silver, an obituary of Eiichi Kudo by Kinji Fukasaku and an interview piece on Shigehiro Ozawa after his retirement from filmmaking
Limited Edition of 3000 copies, presented in a rigid box with full-height Scanavo cases and removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
U.S. STREET DATE: MARCH 26.
UK STREET DATE: MARCH 25.

• Like 7

Wow! Didn't see that coming. I better tag @Shosetsu. He might be interested in this release.

A couple more Asian releases scheduled from Radiance is the Chinese neo-noir film Suzhou River & Kiju Yoshida's A Story Written with Water.

Screenshot_20231213-105006.png

Screenshot_20231213-104955.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3

If you didn't check out the news on Blu-ray news for the upcoming Radiance release of the Bounty Hunter trilogy, here's what you missed. 

• Like 6

The Bounty Hunter trilogy is a must buy for me. I enjoyed all three films when I first watched them a few years ago. I would love for Radiance Films to one day release the Mute Samurai series, also starring Tomisaburo Wakayama.

• Like 4

On 12/13/2023 at 8:05 AM, Yihetuan said:

Wow! Didn't see that coming. I better tag @Shosetsu. He might be interested in this release.

A couple more Asian releases scheduled from Radiance is the Chinese neo-noir film Suzhou River & Kiju Yoshida's A Story Written with Water.

Screenshot_20231213-105006.png

Screenshot_20231213-104955.png

Thanks,  brother, for the tag. Yes, I definitely love Samurai Bounty Hunter.  Both swords and guns at the same time! What's not to like.

Incidentally it also stars Yumiko Nogawa who also acted in many TV shows.  For example, Matsudaira Ukon starring Kotaro Satomi.  Also Momotaro Samurai starring Hideki Takahashi.

• Like 4

Radiance is releasing Noburo Nakamura's 1964 film, The Shape of Night on blu ray in April.

Screenshot_20240110-115348.png

• Like 1