Radiance Films (UK) Blu-Ray Releases

Ronin

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31315

Big Time Gambling Boss

Description: Tokyo, 1934. Gang boss Arakawa is too ill and a successor must be named. The choice falls on Nakai, but being an outsider he refuses and suggests senior clansman Matsuda instead. But Matsuda is in jail and the elders won't wait for his release, so they appoint the younger and more malleable Ishido to take the reins. Clan honour and loyalties are severely tested when Matsuda is released, resulting in an increasingly violent internal strife. An atmospheric tale of gangland intrigue written by Kazuo Kasahara (Battles Without Honour and Humanity) and starring Tomisaburo Wakayama, (Lone Wolf and Cub, The Bounty Hunter Trilogy) and genre legend Koji Tsuruta, Big Time Gambling Boss is one of the all-time classics of the yakuza genre. Paul Schrader called it the richest and most complex film of its type, while novelist Yukio Mishima hailed it as a masterpiece. Radiance Films is proud to present this crucial re-discovery for the first time ever on Blu-ray.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
High Definition digital transfer of the film
Original LPCM audio
Visual essay by genre expert Chris D on the film and its place within the period and genre (2022)
Ninkyo 101: A masterclass with Mark Schilling, author of The Yakuza Movie Book (2022)
Trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by maarko phntm
Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Stuart Galbraith IV, and critic Hayley Scanlon
Limited edition of 2000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
REGION-B "LOCKED"
STREET DATE: JANUARY 2.

bigtime.png.29bd98feb5e04519d66650b36c8a955e.png

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Thanks ! It's not mentioned if there are english subtitles.

Do your releases have subtitles?
- Each English language film will have English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing while foreign language films will have English subtitles, newly translated or modified to our standards where required. Our licenses only permit us to include English subtitles.

https://www.radiancefilms.co.uk/pages/faq

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

5 hours ago, Ronin said:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31315

Big Time Gambling Boss

Description: Tokyo, 1934. Gang boss Arakawa is too ill and a successor must be named. The choice falls on Nakai, but being an outsider he refuses and suggests senior clansman Matsuda instead. But Matsuda is in jail and the elders won't wait for his release, so they appoint the younger and more malleable Ishido to take the reins. Clan honour and loyalties are severely tested when Matsuda is released, resulting in an increasingly violent internal strife. An atmospheric tale of gangland intrigue written by Kazuo Kasahara (Battles Without Honour and Humanity) and starring Tomisaburo Wakayama, (Lone Wolf and Cub, The Bounty Hunter Trilogy) and genre legend Koji Tsuruta, Big Time Gambling Boss is one of the all-time classics of the yakuza genre. Paul Schrader called it the richest and most complex film of its type, while novelist Yukio Mishima hailed it as a masterpiece. Radiance Films is proud to present this crucial re-discovery for the first time ever on Blu-ray.

High Definition digital transfer of the film
Original LPCM audio
Visual essay by genre expert Chris D on the film and its place within the period and genre (2022)
Ninkyo 101: A masterclass with Mark Schilling, author of The Yakuza Movie Book (2022)
Trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by maarko phntm
Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Stuart Galbraith IV, and critic Hayley Scanlon
Limited edition of 2000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
REGION-B "LOCKED"
STREET DATE: JANUARY 2.

This title will be released in the US as well, so this edition should actually be Region AB. You can already pre order it from Diabolik or MVD's shop

• Like 2

It's also available to pre-order on amazon & I expect the price will drop in line with the Amazon.uk/Diabolik prices closer to the actual release date. Props to Francesco for starting a niche label in these times of dwindling physical media sales. You have to have a passion for the material because you sure aren't doing it for the profit. Hope to see more ninkyo-eiga films released from his new label in the not to distant future.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Gambling-Boss-Nobuo-Kaneko/dp/B0BF7K5Q1Y/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Big+Time+Gambling+Boss+[Blu-ray]&qid=1663201981&sr=8-2

• Like 2

I love the fact they are releasing part 4 of a series. Don't get me wrong, there are several films in the Gambling Den series that are very good (I like part 6 in particular). But this recent "release them all or no purchase" attitude has been killing our chances of getting so many great films. Either a long series don't get released at all, or one series gets released and then we've reached the quota already. I'd much rather get 10 masterpieces from 10 different series than one 10 film series where half of the entries are mediocre.

Anyway, great to see this coming. I can finally retire my old Toei DVD.

bigboss0.jpg

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

It's also available to pre-order on amazon & I expect the price will drop in line with the Amazon.uk/Diabolik prices closer to the actual release date. Props to Francesco for starting a niche label in these times of dwindling physical media sales. You have to have a passion for the material because you sure aren't doing it for the profit. Hope to see more ninkyo-eiga films released from his new label in the not to distant future.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Gambling-Boss-Nobuo-Kaneko/dp/B0BF7K5Q1Y/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Big+Time+Gambling+Boss+[Blu-ray]&qid=1663201981&sr=8-2

It's much more cheaper on the radiance site !

I just got it for 18,04£ including tax and shipping, while if I convert the Amazon price to £, it costs around 30 £, plus the shipping !

1 hour ago, Takuma said:

I love the fact they are releasing part 4 of a series. Don't get me wrong, there are several films in the Gambling Den series that are very good (I like part 6 in particular). But this recent "release them all or no purchase" attitude has been killing our chances of getting so many great films. Either a long series don't get released at all, or one series gets released and then we've reached the quota already. I'd much rather get 10 masterpieces from 10 different series than one 10 film series where half of the entries are mediocre.

Anyway, great to see this coming. I can finally retire my old Toei DVD.

bigboss0.jpg

Your dvd cover is much more beautiful and colorful than the blu ray one...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 7:00 PM, Yihetuan said:

One of Tetsuya Watari's best acting performances. Who can forget him snacking on a certain something...

I think you're thinking of Graveyard of Honor.  However, I actually like Yakuza Graveyard more.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Vegeta84 said:

I think you're thinking of Graveyard of Honor.  However, I actually like Yakuza Graveyard more.  

My bad, you're right. I mixed the two up but I prefer Graveyard of Honor,

• Like 1

As expected, the pre-order price on Amazon has dropped significantly and now cheaper than ordering direct from Radiance Films with international shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Gambling-Boss-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B0BF7K5Q1Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+big+time+gambling+boss&qid=1668187902&sr=8-1

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Frankie being a bit coy about those Japanese titles but since the "Halloween" reference, once can infer that they will be horror themed.

Screenshot_2022-12-06 Radiance Films on Twitter.png

• Like 1

Nice long interview with Radiance Films head honcho, Francesco Simeoni.

https://arthousecult.com/interview-with-francesco-simeoni-owner-and-ceo-of-radiance-films/

of specific interest to most of us on here, who are solely interested in his Asian releases. It's a shame he couldn't get Meiko Kaji to do a supplemental feature for Yakuza Graveyard:

Art House Cult: With your first slate, I’ve got a few questions regarding those. The initial releases in January are “Big Time Gambling Boss” and “The Working Class Go To Heaven.” What was the thought process behind choosing those as the inaugural releases?

Francesco Simeoni: So, that’s why I wanted to do that. I wanted to be distinct, and “Big Time Gambling Boss” is essentially the same kind of thing. For me, it’s a good starter because it’s a Yakuza film, but it’s not a Yakuza film which sort of is sold entirely on very obvious genre tropes. It’s not a Fukasaku film, basically. So that’s why I chose to do that and not “Yakuza Graveyard” as the opening. For me that was just something that signaled a slightly different intent. Although I do have “Yakuza Graveyard” and I do really like Fukasaku, and will do stuff like that, I’m much more interested in the films like “Big Time Gambling Boss.”

Art House Cult: One of the upcoming releases is Fukusaku’s “Yakuza Graveyard.”. I’ve got two questions on that. First off, are you working with Toei? Did they have the master for that one?

Francesco Simeoni: Yeah.

Art House Cult: Secondly, my introduction to Arrow video was actually with the “Battles Without Honor and Humanity” Box set. I was fortunate because that set popped up on a website and so I bought that. I know that was one of the inaugural releases for Arrow in the States. Were you the brains behind that set?

Francesco Simeoni: Yeah, yeah, yeah. That has got a very long history, because when I just started Arrow, they had just bought “Battle Royale” and we did that and I went to Japan and I met with Toei and everything. When I was there I was like, so… you have “Battles Without Honor and Humanity.” And we started talking about it there and they wanted an absolute fortune for it. So I kept pestering them for years and years until we’d launched in the US and we’re feeling sort of quite bullish. The industry was still almost easy by that point. So we went for it. We got them for UK and US and, as I predicted, it was a very big success. They’ve done really, really well. At the same time, I was working “Female Prisoner Scorpion” as well.

Art House Cult: Oh yeah. Great. I’ve got both of those.

Francesco Simeoni: Yeah, those were real passion projects for me. I produced “Female Prisoner Scorpion” in that set. But “Battles Without Honor and Humanity,” I worked with Mark Walkow on that one. He’s a real expert and there’s a great book and everything. It’s always difficult with Japanese releases because a lot of these people aren’t around or just don’t want to be interviewed. I mean, even with “Yakuza Graveyard,” we tried to get Meiko Kaji and she just said, “I don’t want to, I’m too busy”.

Art House Cult: The “Battles” set was amazing. That’s what really sparked my interest in Arrow. When that arrived, I just sat back and watched all those films. I love watching all those same stunt men arriving to get their asses whipped again in scene after scene. The whole thing is great.

• Like 3

Tom Mes with his copy of Big Time Gambling Boss. I actually thought he was involved with this project but apparently as a producer and not in the supplemental features. It's Chris D., Mark Schilling, Stuart Galbraith IV and Hayley Scanlon.

Screenshot_2023-01-05 (1) Tom Mes ( midnightmes) Twitter.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

Yakuza Graveyard

Description: When he falls for the beautiful wife of the jailed boss of the Nishida gang, things start to spiral out of control for detective Kuroiwa (Tetsuya Watari, Graveyard of Honour). In a world where the line between police and organised crime is vague, he finds himself on the wrong side of a yakuza war when his superiors favour Nishida's rivals, the Yamashiro gang. Co-starring the iconic Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood) and featuring Nagisa Oshima as chief of police, Yakuza Graveyard sees director Kinji Fukasaku (Battles without Honour and Humanity) at the peak of his powers.

High-Definition digital transfer
Original uncompressed mono PCM audio
Appreciation by filmmaker Kazuya Shiraishi (2022)
The Rage and the Passion - A visual essay by critic Tom Mes on Meiko Kaji and Kinji Fukasaku's collaborations (2022)
Gallery of promotional imagery
Easter Egg
Trailer
Newly translated English subtitles
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mika Ko on the representations of Koreans in the yakuza film, and newly translated re-prints of a contemporary review and writing by screenwriter Kazuo Kasahara
Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
REGION-A/B "LOCKED"
U.S. STREET DATE: MAY 16.
UK STREET DATE: MAY 15.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=32108

• Like 2

Radiance Films release of Yakuza Graveyard is up for pre-order at diabolikdvd.com with a street release date of May 16 in the US and Canada. Curious about the easter egg!

Tech specs & Extras:

Blu-ray Limited Edition Special Features:

• High-Definition digital transfer
  • Original uncompressed mono PCM audio
  • Appreciation by filmmaker Kazuya Shiraishi (2022)
  • The Rage and the Passion – A visual essay by critic Tom Mes on Meiko Kaji and Kinji Fukasaku’s collaborations (2022)
  • Gallery of promotional imagery
  • Easter Egg
  • Trailer
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
  • Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mika Ko on the representations of Koreans in the yakuza film, and newly translated re-prints of a contemporary review and writing by screenwriter Kazuo Kasahara
  • Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
  • Like 1