The Weird Weapons of Shaw Brothers

waywardsage

Not a Shaw film but I like the weapon that the evil eunuch in Dynasty uses against Dorian Tan & David Tang, where he turns his golden armor into a flying bladed weapon. It will be nice when 3D film archive finally releases the 3D blu ray of this movie next year!

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 6

On 10/17/2020 at 5:55 AM, Yihetuan said:

Not a Shaw film but I like the weapon that the evil eunuch in Dynasty uses against Dorian Tan & David Tang, where he turns his golden armor into a flying bladed weapon. It will be nice when 3D film archive finally releases the 3D blu ray of this movie next year!

Thank you!!!! Been waiting for this.  I saw it on Youtube some time ago.  Tan Tao Liang used a metal umbrella against that spinning armor.

• Like 5

On 2/14/2015 at 12:54 AM, Eastern Evil said:

I can't think of the movie right now - actually seen them in more than one, but I like the weapons that look like 2 hands holding giant pencils. - funniest looking things I ever saw.

This right here is my favorite weapon! Have to find a picture...

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
6 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

Which Shaw was it where a guy picks up a statue to fight?

Don't remember anyone using an actual statue, but Wang Lung Wei wields the weird, elongated "swimmer" figure looking thing in Ten Tigers of Kwantung... but I think that was already mentioned.

wanglungweitentigers.jpg

• Like 5

Secret Executioner
On 11/1/2020 at 3:58 AM, HyperDrive said:

Which Shaw was it where a guy picks up a statue to fight?

I'm not sure it's a weird weapon. You can drop a big one to block the way or throw a smaller one at opponents to make them fall or inconvenience them. At most you can use one with a spear or something to impale an opponent I guess. But using it like in the picture posted by @TibetanWhiteCrane seems kinda weird. :bs_confused:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Guns in the banjos from Operation Lipstick. Not super weird, but kinda fun.

oplipgun.jpg

Nos that You mention that, there are also the Lily Ho's  secret weapons in The lady professional, and the strange weapons used by the girls detectives in The foxy ladies...

• Like 4

Cognoscente

I like the ring chains that Lau Wing used in The Dragon Missile. It inspired Wong Jing when he wrote the script to Shaolin Prince, and later when he wrote Royal Tramp II.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

Wong Lik wears these connected 7 rings like a bracelet until he uses them against Hsia Yu in TEN TIGERS OF KWANTUNG. I think I saw something similar in another movie. 

20210615_103041.jpg

20210615_103123.jpg

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

12 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Wong Lik wears these connected 7 rings like a bracelet until he uses them against Hsia Yu in TEN TIGERS OF KWANTUNG. I think I saw something similar in another movie. 

The main villain uses that in Eunuch of the Western Palace.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2020 at 10:08 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Don't remember anyone using an actual statue, but Wang Lung Wei wields the weird, elongated "swimmer" figure looking thing in Ten Tigers of Kwantung... but I think that was already mentioned.

wanglungweitentigers.jpg

Argh ! I was about to mention this one as a "iron siren" weapon, but you won me...

• Like 3

FightingFool

While not that weird, not usual concept either when Ti Lung attachs 2 small memorial marks to pole and defeats villains with his new weapon in the end of Opium and the kung fu master.

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

Not a good screenshot but I was too lazy to try again. LION VS LION has two fighters using an overlarge shaving razor (half-hidden) as well as the corresponding overlarge razor strop.

image.thumb.png.c0e629b148cbb08bb808a2009fa12b66.png

• Like 3

On 9/26/2023 at 6:28 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Not a good screenshot but I was too lazy to try again. LION VS LION has two fighters using an overlarge shaving razor (half-hidden) as well as the corresponding overlarge razor strop.

image.thumb.png.c0e629b148cbb08bb808a2009fa12b66.png

I was just about to mention this one. I watched the movie for the first time two days ago, and I loved it !!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I was just about to mention this one. I watched the movie for the first time two days ago, and I loved it !!

Been ages since watched ivl, but remember liking it. Good action and comedy was far better than in some other Shaws. Fate of Lo Mang came as surprise. Might be I remember wrong but recall there was night scene with ghosts or something, that felt unnecessary and was bit dire but otherwise fine flick which rarely gets discussed about.

should view it again to refresh memory.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChillyChong said:

Been ages since watched ivl, but remember liking it. Good action and comedy was far better than in some other Shaws. Fate of Lo Mang came as surprise. Might be I remember wrong but recall there was night scene with ghosts or something, that felt unnecessary and was bit dire but otherwise fine flick which rarely gets discussed about.

should view it again to refresh memory.

Yes, Lo Meng was the real main character for once in a movie, and his fate made me angry ! Yang Pan Pan's fate as well !

Yes, there was a kind of haunted house at the end. The scenes were very dark and it was difficult to see something, but it was a enjoying movie.

• Like 2

As far out and wacky as some of these weapons may appear, not all of them were simply created for the movies. Some are variations of real weapons, while others are exact replicas. Then there are those which were just there to entertain the audiences of the era. I'm by no means a weapons expert when it comes to Martial Arts cinema. However, after looking into the history of Asian weapons, I was surprised to find that their screen counterparts, were not just the creative ideas of the prop team.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

As far out and wacky as some of these weapons may appear, not all of them were simply created for the movies. Some are variations of real weapons, while others are exact replicas. Then there are those which were just there to entertain the audiences of the era. I'm by no means a weapons expert when it comes to Martial Arts cinema. However, after looking into the history of Asian weapons, I was surprised to find that their screen counterparts, were not just the creative ideas of the prop team.

I heard the flying guillotine was actually produced but was not feasible.  Imagine if it was. 

001.jpg

• Like 2