The Weird Weapons of Shaw Brothers

waywardsage

The abacus was flag of iron I think. The lute in deadly melody. Dude uses a gold naked chick statue in I think a venoms movie. I loved the sleeve knives and other weapons in avenging eagle

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but Shaw Bros. were always good about incorporating special weapons in a lot of their films. Some made sense, some didn't.

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous
The abacus was flag of iron I think. The lute in deadly melody. Dude uses a gold naked chick statue in I think a venoms movie. I loved the sleeve knives and other weapons in avenging eagle

haha I just watched Avenging Eagle last night! I think the name "sleeve knife" sounds so funny too. But it makes sense. But then they came from his shoe first then attached to his wrists. Why not shoe knife? Or wrist knife?

Guest Anonymous

really? I think another movie uses it too but I cant remember which.

In the film Shaolin Intruders was the weapon the Shakujo.  It is a staff carried by Temple monks.  There are several different kinds of Shakujo.  They are differentiated by the different design at the top of the staff.  Those different designs represent different symbols or beliefs according to the particular religious  sect.  The one I saw was what I would describe as a cage-type design like the bars of a cage except the bars curve together into an oval shape.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 4

Not weird but I have to say I was disappointed at the movie Legendary Weapons of China.  It did not measure up to his title.  In comparison,  there was a much better variety of weapons in Gordon Liu's Heroes of the East.  Even the lowly weapon the tonfa was included in Liu's movie.  I used to have a friend who is a kung fu fan and he always used to say the tonfa is the least popular.  I guess that depends on how many movies have featured that weapon.  So if anybody can list any other appearances, that would be nice.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2019 at 2:35 AM, Shosetsu said:

Not weird but I have to say I was disappointed at the movie Legendary Weapons of China.  It did not measure up to his title.  In comparison,  there was a much better variety of weapons in Gordon Liu's Heroes of the East.  Even the lowly weapon the tonfa was included in Liu's movie.  I used to have a friend who is a kung fu fan and he always used to say the tonfa is the least popular.  I guess that depends on how many movies have featured that weapon.  So if anybody can list any other appearances, that would be nice.

List of weapons used in both films:

Heroes of the East
------------------
Saber
Two-handed straight sword
Katana
Yari
Spear
Three-section staff
Nunchaku
Tonfa
Butterfly Swords
Sai
Rope Dart
Kusari-kama
Shurikens, darts, arrows, etc.

Legendary Weapons of China
--------------------------
Spear
Staff
Halberd
Trident
Jian;
Dao (and Shuangdao)
Daggers
Chain Whip
Crutch/Tonfa
Axe
Melon Hammer
Hooks
Rattan Shield
Butterfly Swords
Fists
Monk's Spade
Three-Section Staff
Kwan Do

• Like 4

On 8/8/2015 at 5:27 AM, Tosh said:

Peacock dart (Magic Blade?)

While the Peacock Dart is the most unusual weapon in The Magic Blade, I don't think I've seen anything quite like Ti Lung's tonfa like sword (also in The Magic Blade) before: 

The Magic Blade 4.png The Magic Blade 3.png

TheMagicBlade+1976-116-b.jpg

On a side note here's another but similar topic to this one:

www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/3052-craziest-weapon-spoilers-for-various-films-inside/ 

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

Always liked the iron ball shooting crossbow from Deadly Duo.... don't think I ever saw that one in any other movie.

vlcsnap-2019-10-22-12h21m22s42.png

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 7

Fu Sheng in Avenging Eagle has blades in his sleeves and shoes.

Chen Hung Lieh has the same sort of blades in his sleeves in Shaolin Invincibles.

In Trilogy of swordsmanship, in the third section The White Water Strand, Ku Feng uses a similar net to the ones used by the gladiators, but with bells on the meshes, that is sometimes flexible and sometimes unbending to imprison the opponents.

I can't take a screenshot of it because the dvd can't be played in the computer...

Yi Yuen uses his braid as a weapon in Shaolin INvincibles, while there are two guys using their tongues like blades (30cm length !!!)

• Like 4

On 4/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, ShawAngela said:

In Trilogy of swordsmanship, in the third section The White Water Strand, Ku Feng uses a similar net to the ones used by the gladiators, but with bells on the meshes, that is sometimes flexible and sometimes unbending to imprison the opponents.

I can't take a screenshot of it because the dvd can't be played in the computer...

Here is a nice still that displays the weapon well:

425102201_trilogyofswordsmanship-still04.thumb.jpg.2a6ab02198fca8c1ac4f867df21798ee.jpg

And this one is not that weird, but while I have the folder open, does anyone know what the proper Chinese name of the weapon that Bolo is holding in this picture is called? It's a metal (brass, steel, iron, bronze?) rod about the length of a sword. I guess it's used for breaking sword blades and has a pointed tip.

1844556501_trilogyofswordsmanship-still13.thumb.jpg.b11d87a4e64dc7570905de07830701f9.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/20/2020 at 9:39 PM, panku said:

And this one is not that weird, but while I have the folder open, does anyone know what the proper Chinese name of the weapon that Bolo is holding in this picture is called? It's a metal (brass, steel, iron, bronze?) rod about the length of a sword. I guess it's used for breaking sword blades and has a pointed tip.

Probably the Hard Whip, or Bian 鞭.

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

The Phoenix Lute from the TEMPLE OF THE RED LOTUS trilogy shoots needles like a machine gun or something. Ku Feng provides his bow with "Flaming Marbles" ammunition, maybe not that unusual as a weapon but there is a scene where everyone is so happy that he uses them to ignite a warming fire in a cold rainy night which I thought rather amusing. 

phoenixlute.PNG

luteinaction.PNG

lutevictim.PNG

kufeng_swordandlute.PNG

fire.PNG

flamingmarbles.PNG

• Like 5

@Iron_Leopard recently started a topic on Chor Yuen's Web of Death and that reminded me of the 5 Venoms Spider. That has to be one of the weirdest weapons as well. You just knew things weren't going to end well once you heard that ominous siren effect and the spider unleashed its deadly venom on its poor victims!

• Like 7

Invincible Fist (1969)

An abacus that shoots darts and doubles as a three-sectioned staff.

heavy_abacus.png

• Like 3

You can see it at 1:07 in the original trailer.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
11 hours ago, DrNgor said:

@SMK, @One Armed Boxer - I bet this can be integrated into the more general Bizarre Weapons thread.

Hey Doc, let’s meet in the middle, since this thread was specifically created for SB. I’ve moved any posts from the Bizarre Weapons thread that we’re discussing SB flicks to here.

• Like 2

I almost forgot.  Ku Feng's cool eagle claws in "Avenging Eagle."

d47db8bdb1f4aa1c2dfd6381e81500a4.jpg

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

Ghost King swings this club which is prettily adorned with skulls in TWIN BLADES OF DOOM, this club is as long as a spear or Guan Dao and has a pike on the other end. 

TwinBladesClub2.PNG

TwinBladesClub.PNG

• Like 3