The Weird Weapons of Shaw Brothers

waywardsage

waywardsage

I think it would be really cool to post an ongoing list of everyones favorite bizarre weapons from the Shaw Brothers films. It would be really great if we could categorize these with screen caps, the film's title and what the weapon is called.

If we can get this going, perhaps we can make it a sticky at the top of the threat. Plus, it'd be a really cool resource if someone is looking for a particular film with a particular strange weapon that they can't remember?

What does everyone think?

• Like 1

I think it would be really cool to post an ongoing list of everyones favorite bizarre weapons from the Shaw Brothers films. It would be really great if we could categorize these with screen caps, the film's title and what the weapon is called.

If we can get this going, perhaps we can make it a sticky at the top of the threat. Plus, it'd be a really cool resource if someone is looking for a particular film with a particular strange weapon that they can't remember?

What does everyone think?

Awesome idea... do we have to limit it to Shaw films though? I've seen some funky stuff in other movies as well.

yinyanghand.jpg

Yin-Yang Hand! (Forced to Fight - 1971)

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
Cheuk Yi Fan - Sword in Sleeves :cool:

(How do you embed youtube on this site? use a Certain '[ ]' wrap? )

Insert everything after "v=" in the url between youtube brackets.

ylKnPxPY_Cc

• Like 1

Here is one from "Budda's Palm"

It is called the "Golden Dragon Dagger". Looks like a lightsaber o_0

Lightsaber.png

This is a cool idea Sage.

• Like 1

Eastern Evil
Insert everything after "v=" in the url between youtube brackets.

Thank you!

It is a little different here than I am used to. I'll give it a shot.

Appreciated!

Eastern Evil
Here is one from "Budda's Palm"

It is called the "Golden Dragon Dagger". Looks like a lightsaber o_0

Lightsaber.png

This is a cool idea Sage.

Doesn't Kara Hui or someone have a dogbone shooting lasers in that movie also?

No wait - That is Battle Wizard!!

Both movies are excellent :cool:

Eastern Evil

One more for now would be the bad ass Tonfa Sword Ti Lung uses in 'The Magic Blade' and 'Pursuit of Vengeance'.

?v=-lGs_UcxtYM

massa_yoda
How about those spiked shields from Return of the One Armed Swordsman!

Yeah, that was a fun one. These guys sure weren't a fan:

post-168-144191891422_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How about Lo Lieh and the 'Dragon Missile'!!!

dragon_missile05.jpg

Yeah the dragon misslie is awesome as is Lo Lieh's character name in the movie but in my opinion it was not too convincing how such an almost invincible weapon was disabled. Peri's reference to Wang Li's snake rod in the link is also something else!!!

• Like 1

One more for now would be the bad ass Tonfa Sword Ti Lung uses in 'The Magic Blade' and 'Pursuit of Vengeance'.

?v=-lGs_UcxtYM

That video surprised me because of the tonfa being modified into a bladed weapon. What perplexes me is its origin. Maybe someone can clear that up for me. Because I've always thought that the tonfa had an Okinawan origin. But then many people have told me that it originated from Indonesia. So which is correct?

• Like 1

Posting this question: Was Five Element Ninja the only movie, so far, that has included the weird weapon the Fire Wheels? Anyway, that's the only appearance I've seen so far. But if any others, then hopefully someone can post.

• Like 1

I can't think of the movie right now - actually seen them in more than one, but I like the weapons that look like 2 hands holding giant pencils. - funniest looking things I ever saw.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the film in some time but it's possible some of the weapons highlighted in Legendary Weapons of China were/are quite rarely used in films.

• Like 1

What's Wang Lung Wei's weapon in Crippled Avengers?

I'm pretty sure WLW used the meteor hammer in Crippled Avengers. It also shows up in Yao's Young Warriors and Yellow River Fighter.

I mentioned it in the Modern Movies thread, but I do think that the weapons duel between Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi is one of my favorite fight scenes; it's definitely one of the best post-1994 fight scenes out there.

• Like 2