What are your latest DVD/Blu-ray/UHD purchases?

masterofoneinchpunch
I think that's a cut version you have. Wikipedia give it a 112 minutes running time. I've not seen it but there is a movie called Grand Canyon (1991) that has a similar plot.

I can clear this up. I was jokingly referring to the two different Crash films (since he did not put a year on that one but had put a year on the Frankenstein buy). The one he got was the David Cronenberg film (1996) not the Paul Haggis one (2004) (that is 112 or 115 minutes depending on which version of that film.) Now the Crash film he got does have two version BTW I believe there is a shorter cut version (90 or so minutes) and about 10 minutes extra for the NC-17 version (I am not completely positive on this one so don't quote me.)

I preferred Grand Canyon to Crash (2004). It was one of the earlier films where I saw a serious Steve Martin, but it did not hit the overwrought high notes that Crash did which irked me a little (didn't completely hate it, but I would not have voted for best picture.)

Secret Executioner

Yeah, my Crash is actually the Cronenberg one, not the other film, which I never heard of BTW - nor had I heard of Grand Canyon, but thanks for the mentions guys. :smile:

I mentionned the year for Frankenstein because there's a gazillion of films out there with that title or titles referring to "Frankenstein", including some more or less loose adaptations or movies that just have nothing to do with the Mary Shelley novel.

masterofoneinchpunch
Yeah, my Crash is actually the Cronenberg one, not the other film, which I never heard of BTW - nor had I heard of Grand Canyon, but thanks for the mentions guys. :smile:

I mentionned the year for Frankenstein because there's a gazillion of films out there with that title or titles referring to "Frankenstein", including some more or less loose adaptations or movies that just have nothing to do with the Mary Shelley novel.

Crash was the American Academy Award for Best Picture that year. That was really the only reason I watched it as I was working on seeing all of the BP winners (now I'm on the nominees since I finished that goal.) I'm not a particular fan of it, though I am a little surprised you have not heard of it (but maybe because I have read so many reviews/essays on the film in the past.)

Bride of Frankenstein is my favorite Frankenstein film. I might rewatch that this month.

Secret Executioner
Crash was the American Academy Award for Best Picture that year. That was really the only reason I watched it as I was working on seeing all of the BP winners (now I'm on the nominees since I finished that goal.) I'm not a particular fan of it, though I am a little surprised you have not heard of it (but maybe because I have read so many reviews/essays on the film in the past.)

Bride of Frankenstein is my favorite Frankenstein film. I might rewatch that this month.

Just saw what it was and yup, hadn't heard of that before. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea to be honest. I was also surprised I had seen only a few of these winners (Ben-Hur, Titanic, The Artist, Twelve Years A Slave...) and had few I had on DVD but unwatched (Platoon).

Bride Of Frankenstein is a great movie IMO. And much like you, I guess I'll be revisiting (or discovering) some horror films - I have tons of those I still have to watch.

I've seen it, I thought it was pretty good. I think I've seen the 1996 Crash too. vaguely remember it.

I really enjoyed it too. Not sure it was Best Picture worthy but it was enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Secret Executioner

My latest finds:

The Terror (a Roger Corman movie starring Boris Karloff and Jack Nicholson ?! Holy smoke !!)

Tom Yum Goong 2

Ong-Bak

Ong-Bak 2

Dawn Of The Dead (US version apparently)

(yeah, I know, I only got the Ong-Bak movies now... And I'm missing the third one, but hey, better late than never)

masterofoneinchpunch
Have you seen Targets? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targets

Good movie, I have it on DVD.

Peter Bogdanovich's first film. I like it. I like how they did the shooting scenes on the freeway (without telling anyone they were doing it; that must have freaked some people out.) Talk about a sociopath (the main actor performance not the director.) I have a Paramount R1 release of it, it looks like it is OOP now (though prices are still good.) I wonder if it will have a BD release?

Secret Executioner

Targets sure sounds interesting - essentially thanks to the trivia that links it to Corman's The Terror and for Boris Karloff (whose character is apparently a nod to the title-character from FW Murnau's masterpiece Nosferatu).

wongfeihung62
wongfeihung62 if you dont mind me asking where did you buy THE CHASE FORTUNE STAR DVD thanks

Got this today at the Camden movie fair in London. It is in fact a VCD.

shaolin swords

ok cool thanks for the info just thought you might have bought it from a website that I can buy it at I think I saw it at dddhouse on vcd but want it on dvd but might buy it on vcd don't know yet if I cant find it on dvd

the Swedish release?

im looking for the winners and sinners og dub??

Yup Atlantic DVD, this one only has the English audio and Swedish (removable) subtitles

Secret Executioner

Recent finds:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

Blood Brothers/The Pirate 2-movie pack

Asterix 3-movie pack (contains the first 3 animated movies: Asterix The Gaul, Asterix and Cleopatra and The Twelve Tasks Of Asterix - pretty much the individual DVD releases gathered in some box)

Secret Executioner

A little Disney haul (all DVDs):

The Aristocats

The Rescuers

Cinderella (never seen this one before)

Pinocchio

Robin Hood