The Outlaws (2017) / The Roundup (2022) / The Roundup: No Way Out (2023) / The Roundup: Punishment (2024) - Don Lee

laagi

One Armed Boxer

Our very own @Drunken Monk has decided to get us warmed up for this years 'Punishment' with his own review of 'No Way Out' - 

• Like 1

This will be getting a North American 4K UHD + blu ray release from MPI in April. Like all the previous MPI releases, this will be a port of the Capelight mediabook German release.

GFGoOALWkAAfuEo.jpg

In case you fine folks missed this ;) Looks good aside from that one weak ass knee strike lol what is that!?

• Like 1

Super Ninja

As long as Don Lee keeps bashing them baddies, I'll be returning to this series. Punishment is looking good! More of the same would do it for me, especially if it's more of part 2 than 3, for me a standout in the series. 

Don Lee from Train to Busan and... Eternals? Yeah, that'll make people rush to the theaters.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Don Lee from Train to Busan and... Eternals? Yeah, that'll make people rush to the theaters.

Yeah marketing sure as hell did a bang up job with that one :laugh

smirk-don-lee.gif

• Haha 1

PandaPawPaw
3 hours ago, laagi said:

They look like a boy band for the maturer woman or they're on their farewell tour after 50 years in the business. :P

• Haha 1

Yihetuan
On 2/26/2024 at 2:48 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

They look like a boy band for the maturer woman or they're on their farewell tour after 50 years in the business. :P

Ma Dong Seok would never make it in a boyband in any era of Kpop.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

The latest round of Ma Dong-seok goodness hit Australian cinemas today, so I duly obliged and clocked in for the opening screening. Full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-roundup-punishment-2024-review-ma-dong-seok-don-lee/

largephoto1795217.thumb.jpg.50aeb4ad1da12e51cca6dc95d29900cc.jpg

I didn't read through your entire review admittedly but at least it's a 7/10 as opposed to the latest installment with a 6.5/10.

Wasn't a fan of 'No Way Out' so I guess I'm carefully optimistic that this will be slightly better. Looks like 'The Roundup' still remains the Magnum Opus of the entire series, closely followed by the original. Which I think I can agree with given to overall entertainment factor of each one of these entries.

One just has to wonder when the series or quite literally Don Lee will run out of steam. Seems to be a very similar case to to the John Wick series as well. While both achieve an outstanding level of action the latter probably more just in sheer scope than the aforementioned.

My biggest worry or complaint remains the same. Producers nowadays seem to miss that sweet spot on when to let a good thing die. Believe it or not but that can make all the difference in the world before a series becomes dull and tedious.  Even worse it taints a good thing that came before it. Anyway, I'm already going on for too long... hoping to watch this latest asap as well. Thank you for the review (promise I'll read the whole thing soon).

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
20 hours ago, laagi said:

Looks like 'The Roundup' still remains the Magnum Opus of the entire series, closely followed by the original.

I still remember walking out of the cinema when 'The Roundup' finished convinced I'd seen an example of a perfect action movie, and the subsequent entries have only continued to confirm this. It got everything right, ramping things up just enough from the original, and getting the pace, characters, humour, and everything else all spot on.

When a further 2 installments were announced I'd feared it would be a fools task to try and follow up a movie that would be mission impossible to improve upon, so the best that can be hoped for is a couple of solid laughs and at least one "oomph!" moment. 'Punishment' definitely delivers more in that regard than 'No Way Out', but they're ultimately becoming disposable action flicks.

20 hours ago, laagi said:

Producers nowadays seem to miss that sweet spot on when to let a good thing die. Believe it or not but that can make all the difference in the world before a series becomes dull and tedious.  Even worse it taints a good thing that came before it.

This quote feels like its custom made for 'Believer 2'!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I still remember walking out of the cinema when 'The Roundup' finished convinced I'd seen an example of a perfect action movie, and the subsequent entries have only continued to confirm this. It got everything right, ramping things up just enough from the original, and getting the pace, characters, humour, and everything else all spot on.

When a further 2 installments were announced I'd feared it would be a fools task to try and follow up a movie that would be mission impossible to improve upon, so the best that can be hoped for is a couple of solid laughs and at least one "oomph!" moment. 'Punishment' definitely delivers more in that regard than 'No Way Out', but they're ultimately becoming disposable action flicks.

This quote feels like its custom made for 'Believer 2'!

Perfectly summed up my thoughts on 'The Roundup'. Being lucky enough to catch this on the festival circuit and sharing a full theater with like-minded people. I still recall how the crowd (fans) lost their fucking mind! Or have you ever experienced people getting off their chairs clapping, screaming and cheering inside a theater. I sure as hell haven't lol.

It is probably the closest thing to a perfect modern action movie! I'd argue it also doesn't come as a total surprise 'The Roundup' has the best villain of the entire series. Closely followed by 'The Outlaws' Yoon Kyesang.

As for the 'Believer 2' not only do I refuse to acknowledge its existence but I honestly still can't believe they'd fuck this up so bad. I doubt I'll ever bring myself to eventually sit down and watch it.

Edited by laagi
  • Haha 1

Today is Children's Day in South Korea a major public holiday and Ma Dong Seok uploaded a video on his IG to recognize it by showing him from age 4 to current at 53.

• Like 1