The Outlaws (2017) / The Roundup (2022) / The Roundup: No Way Out (2023) / The Roundup: Punishment (2024) - Don Lee

laagi

With the amount of movies coming out of South Korea these days it's hard to keep track... Here's another one of those I found by coincidence and boy does it kick ass! :devil

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

Based on real events that occurred in 2007 dubbed the "Heuksapa Incident". The story follows a turf war that grows between a local gang that runs Garibong-dong in Guro District, Seoul and the Heuksapa gang from Yanbian, China; the police are called in to attempt to bring peace to the neighborhood.

Review: http://screenanarchy.com/2017/10/review-the-outlaws-familiar-but-punchy-thriller-shows-us-new-side-of-seoul.html

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

I just noticed the trailer has been heavily censored. Not only did they *beep* out all the bad words but also blurred out blood, knives and cigarettes... WTF!?:dull Is this like a new censorship law or what; hope this is just a bad coincidence.

• Like 2

Went to see this a couple of weeks ago when it premiered in HK and boy, this is a blast of a movie. Pretty much up there with some of the best Korean mob pictures in recent memory, think DIRTY CARNIVAL, GANGNAM BLUES, NAMELESS GANGSTER or NEW WORLD - yep, that good! Incredible cast with Ma Dong-Seouk and Yoon Kye-Sang as the two fierce and utterly manical antagonists, lots of dogged, incrediblly intense balls-to-the-wall turf fighting, a film that just never lets up. Haven't seen the trailer laagi mentioned, but I did notice that the filmmakers do not dwell much on sadism and gore, those scenes are usually just implied, not fleshed out. Seems this was a deliberate decision f you read this interview with Ma Dong-Seouk here... http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2017/10/689_237271.html

Didn't hurt the movie  at all, though.

• Like 4

On 14.2.2018 at 1:06 PM, Sheng said:

Went to see this a couple of weeks ago when it premiered in HK and boy, this is a blast of a movie. Pretty much up there with some of the best Korean mob pictures in recent memory, think DIRTY CARNIVAL, GANGNAM BLUES, NAMELESS GANGSTER or NEW WORLD - yep, that good! Incredible cast with Ma Dong-Seouk and Yoon Kye-Sang as the two fierce and utterly manical antagonists, lots of dogged, incrediblly intense balls-to-the-wall turf fighting, a film that just never lets up. Haven't seen the trailer laagi mentioned, but I did notice that the filmmakers do not dwell much on sadism and gore, those scenes are usually just implied, not fleshed out. Seems this was a deliberate decision f you read this interview with Ma Dong-Seouk here... http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2017/10/689_237271.html

Didn't hurt the movie  at all, though.

Totaly agree with this... Best korean movie I've watched in 2017! And Ma Dong-Seok is one bad ass mother**cker! I'll definitely be picking this up on Blu-Ray once it hit the shelves.

• Like 1

I picked this one up and had to come here to sing it's praises!  It is a great gangster film with lots of great fight scenes - not so much martial arts orientated, more straight out brawling.  Very impressed - 9/10.  

• Like 2

Call me excited! I still think that The Outlaws is one of the best korean action movies not to mention Don Lee's best work so far. Here's a first teaser and it looks like he continues where he left off. Kicking ass and taking names!

@One Armed Boxer Time to update your post on COF ;)

• Like 5

No love for Don Lee here? Anybody have info on where, when or even if this will hit western shores. It's had a fantastic start in it's homeland (read here: https://www.soompi.com/article/1529403wpp/the-outlaws-2-the-roundup-becomes-1st-film-since-2019-to-surpass-8-million-moviegoers) and across Asia.

Probably my most anticipated MA movie of the year not that there is much else out there anyway. :yociexp100:

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
16 hours ago, laagi said:

No love for Don Lee here?

You know there is, but no matter what, I can't refer to him as Don Lee! :tongueout Patiently waiting for this one to hit Australian screens, and looking forward to seeing Son Sukku as the bad guy. I recently got through watching the K-drama 'My Liberation Notes' which was excellent, and he plays one of the main characters - ironically a gangster - so it'll be good to see him paired up against Ma Dong-seok.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 6/5/2022 at 5:39 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Patiently waiting for this one to hit Australian screens

Aaaaand it hit yesterday! I went to the 2nd screening locally and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was completely sold out (thankfully I found this out after I'd already purchased tickets)!

'The Roundup' is pure entertainment, and probably just edges 'The Outlaws', which is no mean feat. Dare I say it, but 2022 seems to be the year when Korean cinema is back on the map - this one, 'Broker', 'Decision to Leave', 'Hunt', ‘Next Sohee’ - they're firing on all cyclinders!

I gave 'The Roundup' the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-roundup-2022-review-the-outlaws-ii-2-sequel-ma-dong-seok-don-lee/

• Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 2:21 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Aaaaand it hit yesterday! I went to the 2nd screening locally and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was completely sold out (thankfully I found this out after I'd already purchased tickets)!

'The Roundup' is pure entertainment, and probably just edges 'The Outlaws', which is no mean feat. Dare I say it, but 2022 seems to be the year when Korean cinema is back on the map - this one, 'Broker', 'Decision to Leave', 'Hunt', ‘Next Sohee’ - they're firing on all cyclinders!

I gave 'The Roundup' the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-roundup-2022-review-the-outlaws-ii-2-sequel-ma-dong-seok-don-lee/

I've only skipped thru your review but reading your score and final thoughts has me extremely hyped. I'm watching this on Wednesday!

• Like 4

@One Armed Boxer Coming in second. Watched this late last night at NIFFF (Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival).

Theater was pretty packed for a 10pm screening. Also this marked the european premiere of the movie. When asked if anyone attending watched "The Outlaws" I was the only one shouting with a resounding YES!

The Roundup is an action fan's dream come true plain and simple. The perfect timing of witty dialogue and brutal on screen violence make this one hell of a ride for its 106 minutes runtime.

Don Lee (Ma Dong-Seok) is on top of his game. His charisma and physicality are unbelievable. The theatre was filled with laughter, awe and occasional applause. And that's saying something!

Everything in The Roundup is just so well balanced. I can't stress this enough. Nothing in here seems too long or unnecessary. Just a continuous flow towards and explosive end. And what an end it is! I mean that bus fight... Holy shit!

No surprise at all that the movie topped the korean box office for several weeks. If you have any chance at all, go see this on the biggest screen possible AND more importantly share this experience with other fans.

I watched a total of 4 movies at NIFFF Bad City (JP), Leio (TH), Leonor Will Never Die (PH) and this one. Being around people who share the same passion has been one of the best experience I've had in a long time. One that I and I think a lot of us can use after this whole pandemic.

• Like 3

Just now, KUNG FU BOB said:

Man, I wish Well Go or somebody would release these films on Blu!

If they won't then I'd seriously question their integrity as distributor of asian films. The Roundup is a blast from start to finish and the best time I've had with a movie for a good while. I hope you can check it out asap brother :yociexp108:

• Like 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, laagi said:

If they won't then I'd seriously question their integrity as distributor of asian films. The Roundup is a blast from start to finish and the best time I've had with a movie for a good while. I hope you can check it out asap brother :yociexp108:

I was surprised when they didn't release THE OUTLAWS. But now it has an extremely well-received sequel, and a third, connected film in production. Well Go, please... hear my plea... Blu-ray... please!

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Really enjoyed the first film and this follow up is more of the same but with Vietnam as a backdrop for the first half of the movie. If you're a fan of Ma Dong-seok (Don Lee sounds dumb) wrecking havoc like a bull in a China shop and seeing the bad guys beat to a pulp and rag dolled mercilessly, then this will live up to your expectations. There was a particular fight scene set in an flat which extends from room to room eventually ending up in the kitchen which was excellent and it didn't even involve Ma Dong-seok! Can't say enough about Son Suk-koo. I've seen him in D.P. & Hit-and-Run Squad but he seems like a totally different actor here. He's one of the most ruthless & brutal Korean criminals that I can remember & he just oozes nasty. Recommended and I can't wait for part 3 coming out later this year.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 8/14/2022 at 8:29 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Well Go, please... hear my plea... Blu-ray... please!

I'm afraid Well Go didn't hear you, but MPI Home Video did. :tongueout They released it Stateside last month on Blu-ray.

roundup.JPG.828a7677381c7c1b593d5ee0c7c8dec9.JPG

45 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Can't say enough about Son Suk-koo. I've seen him in D.P. & Hit-and-Run Squad but he seems like a totally different actor here.

I'm a fan as well, and really enjoyed his performance in 'My Liberation Notes', a 16-episode K-drama from last year that I thought was excellent.

• Like 4

On 6/9/2023 at 8:12 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

The latest round of Ma Dong-seok goodness hit Australian cinemas today, so I duly obliged and clocked in for the opening screening. Full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-roundup-no-way-out-2023-review/

I hate you for being able to see this on the BIG SCREEN already, how dare you sir?! :laugh

All jokes aside I got way too much sympathy for Don Lee to skip this one. Even though it seems a bit of a step back from the previous entries. 

I'm eager to see this and will be back with my thoughts on it...

• Like 2

Watched it tonight and this is clearly the weakest out of the three so far. I've read somewhere that they're actually planning to make this a 8! parts series with added spin-offs. So basically turning this into the korean equivalent of the F&F franchise.

I feel like the story isn't really worth going much into because truth be told it just serves as an excuse for Don Lee to knock people out. Which I'm totally fine with to be honest, at least for the most part.

If you really care here's a simple rundown. Yakuza, triads, local thugs, drugs, corrupt cops... the end.

Now that we got the boring part out of the way let's talk about the action. Don Lee has always been a puncher first and foremost. So there's some nice boxing techniques on display here. 'Bloodhounds' instantly came to mind!

Unfortunately the biggest problem is that they turned Lee into superman. It literally takes until the final showdown for him to actually get hit once or make you feel any kind of threat whatsoever.

That's the biggest gripe I have overall. The punching and knocking out is fun sure but ultimately it gets tired real quick. I almost felt a bit a sense of boredom towards the end. Luckily they did change things up on how the punishment was delivered. And as mentioned earlier the final confrontation wasn't all that bad.

Overall it's definitely a step down from the previous entry in the series. It just feels dare I say, a bit run of the mill or rushed. I do hope for the next part they'll give more care to the actual story and overall tone before rushing Don Lee back into action!

• Like 2

The HK bluray of The Roundup was shown at DDDHouse's homepage some months ago so I was tempted and checked out the trailer. Don Lee looks huge and his punches packs power but yet he looks so fast and sharp doing all of it. This franchise certainly has my attention now. I'm having my 1 month vacation starting this Friday so it's Korean cinema time for me.

• Like 2