The Eureka! Entertainment Blu-ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

The Bodyguard (1979)?!

If so (and if the grass/sun pic really means we're getting The Champions), these are my favorite Eureka announcements thus far. 

The Swordsman of All Swordsmen is great news! I hoped it would get a BR release now it's been restored. For me, some of the most beautiful duels in early Taiwanese swordplay films, the locations used for the duel at the Taiwu temple and the Skull Bay beach are stunning. 

Plus Polly and Roc Tien and a Lee Tso-nam cameo, what more could one want?

My favorite quote from the movie: "A beheaded weed will return if you don't rip out its roots."

Awesome announcements Eureka, thank you!!

• Like 8

Haven`t heard about Champions before and while not totally convinced about comedy, appearance of Moon Lee and thing I like soccer moves balance scale towards purchase(if Eureka releases it)

Plot of Swordsman OLS seems so typical but reliable director and above mentioned impresive locations make it easy purchase. May pick Chiba movie too if they offer bundle.

• Like 3

Hopefully they add the US Cut for The Bodyguard. I'm not a huge fan of the film but it really has its moments- I have the Shout collection and it only includes the original Japanese cut (cutting out the Aaron Banks and Bill Louie intro). It would really be nice, for collectors sake, if they included that cut as well but of course it's all up to Toei and licensing agreements 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bickle14 said:

More Joseph Kuo.

Something extra special and limited coming up. ;)

Edited by Irongod2112
  • Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 3

image.png.26d0b18a2c0651ac33faed1fbd575449.png

SYNOPSIS

A tale of honour and revenge by a celebrated master of wuxia cinema, Joseph Kuo!

Having witnessed the brutal slaying of his entire family as a small child, Tsai Ying-jie (Tien Peng, A Touch of Zen) spends several years wandering in search of those responsible. After years in training, he intends to use his expert swordsmanship to exact violent revenge on Yun Chun-chung (Tsao Tsien, Dragon Inn) and his four accomplices, who murdered his father in order to obtain a legendary weapon known as the Spirit Chasing Sword. But after dispatching several rival swordsmen that stand in the way of his righteous vengeance, Tsai comes to contemplate the futile nature of revenge after Yun Chun-chung’s daughter, Flying Swallow (Polly Shang-Kuan Ling-Feng, Back Alley Princess), saves his life.

Followed by The Bravest Revenge and The Ghost Hill, The Swordsman of All Swordsmen is the first entry in Joseph Kuo’s Tsai Ying-jie trilogy and a landmark work in the wuxia genre. Eureka Classics is proud to present the film for the first time ever in the UK from a new 2k restoration, along with Kuo’s influential kung fu masterpiece The Mystery of Chess Boxing, available ONLY in this Limited-Edition set.

*Please note that due to the only surviving materials available being a release print, The Mystery of Chess Boxing is presented with burnt-in-subtitles. To the best of our knowledge these are the best surviving materials.*

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited Edition Two Disc Set [2000 copies]
  • Limited Edition Bonus Disc - The Mystery of Chess Boxing
  • Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju)
  • A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on both films by James Oliver
  • Limited Edition Set of facsimile lobby cards and Double-sided poster featuring original release posters
  • DISC ONE - The Swordsman of All Swordsmen
  • 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray from a 2K digital restoration completed by the Taiwan Film Institute
  • Original Mandarin audio
  • Optional English Subtitles
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng and film writer John Charles (The Hong Kong Filmography, 1977–1997)
  • Archival interview with director Joseph Kuo
  • BONUS DISC TWO- The Mystery Of Chess Boxing
  • 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray, scanned from the only known surviving print of the film supplied by collector Dan Halsted (Head Programmer at the Hollywood Theatre, Oregon)
  • Original Cantonese and “Classic” English dubbed audio options
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng and martial artist / filmmaker Michael Worth
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder and Arne Venema
  • Limited edition reversible artwork by Darren Wheeling
  • *All extras subject to change*
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

image.png.c78a077f9b3b02c5d8ed1046f1501568.png

SYNOPSIS

A double bill of Japanese martial arts mayhem starring action superstar Sonny Chiba!

Based upon the manga by celebrated writer Ikki Kajiwara, Bodyguard Kiba follows the eponymous karate master and professional bodyguard (Chiba) as he is hired to protect the mysterious Reiko (Mari Atsumi), a woman embroiled in the world of organised crime. Kiba’s involvement with Reiko brings him into conflict with the yakuza, leading to a final bloody showdown. Then, in Bodyguard Kiba 2, Kiba is released from prison after taking revenge on the rival martial artists who blinded his sister Maki (Etsuko Shihomi). Back on the streets, he takes a job working for shady nightclub owner Akamatsu (Shoki Fukae), once again forcing him to take on Japan’s criminal underworld.

Two riotously entertaining tales of betrayal and bloodshed from director Ryuichi Takamori, Bodyguard Kiba and Bodyguard Kiba 2 were released just a year before Sonny Chiba would find international success with his breakout hit The Street Fighter. Eureka Classics is proud to present both films for the first time ever in the UK from new restorations.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Chris Malbon
  • 1080p presentations of both films across two Blu-ray discs, from new restorations of the original film elements by Toei
  • Original Japanese mono audio
  • Optional English Subtitles
  • Brand new feature length audio commentaries on both films
  • The Bodyguard – alternate US version of Bodyguard Kiba
  • Viva Chiba! – Brand new documentary featurette looking at Sonny Chiba’s Bodyguard Kiba films
  • Original theatrical trailers
  • A limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Jasper Sharp
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Chemical Lemon

I would love if bonus discs with scans from peoples personal collections became a thing. There are so many missing classics that need to get released even if they’re not from the best elements. The bonus disc here is more exciting than the primary movie. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

I would love if bonus discs with scans from peoples personal collections became a thing. There are so many missing classics that need to get released even if they’re not from the best elements. The bonus disc here is more exciting than the primary movie. 

That would truly be amazing. I hope all of the Dan Halsted and RZA stuff comes out eventually. That would be sweet 👍🔥🥋🐉👊🐲💯‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Totally agree, i'd buy any version of Mystery of Chess Boxing even if it looked a little rough. Not interested in the movie it's paired with.

• Like 1

I'm interested in both, but I have a special love for the wuxia genre. I wish they bring more of these old Tien Peng-Shan Kuan Ling Fung's, and more generally First Films' movies in the future.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, ironfistedmonk said:

Another one here more interested in Chess Boxing than the swordplay movie, one of my favourite shapes movies of all time

I wonder if Eureka knows someone was selling Mystery of Chess Boxing and is it going to be cleaner or touched up in any way other than the burnt in subs.

I'm only interested in the commentary myself.

Swordsman is a pretty solid Wuxia film, with a mature, dramatic tone that could be eye opening for those used to Kuo's kung fu films.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Beardys Feather

Great news! I'll always support a Kuo release! 

Brilliant to have Mystery of Chessboxing coming! I think this will sell out in no time at all :clappinghands

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Knetan said:

Swordsman is a pretty solid Wuxia film, with a mature, dramatic tone that could be eye opening for those used to Kuo's kung fu films.

Since yesterday, I'm watching my old Hoker releases of these old wuxias. I already watched Rider of revenge, Swordsman of all swordsmen and I hardly recognized Tien Peng in these. I recognized him better in A girl fighter, that I watched this evening.

All great wuxias, and I recommend them for those who never watched them.

• Like 6

They don't have the dub listed in the info for The Swordman of all Swordsmen.

It'll be a great release considering The mystery of Chess Boxing comes with it, but I really hope they add the dub.

Killer Meteor
4 hours ago, AlexanderFu said:

They don't have the dub listed in the info for The Swordman of all Swordsmen.

It'll be a great release considering The mystery of Chess Boxing comes with it, but I really hope they add the dub.

Is there even a dub for Swordsman of all Swordsmen?

• Like 1

I'm guessing there is a chance this never went on export since it leaned more on the dramatic side. Hence no dub. I could be 100% wrong.

11 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Since yesterday, I'm watching my old Hoker releases of these old wuxias. I already watched Rider of revenge, Swordsman of all swordsmen and I hardly recognized Tien Peng in these. I recognized him better in A girl fighter, that I watched this evening.

All great wuxias, and I recommend them for those who never watched them.

I just took a more careful look at Eureka description of their release of Swordsman of all swordsmen, and I discovered that the movies The bravest revenge and The ghost hill are part of a trilogy with Swordsman of all swordsmen! It would have been great if they had released the three movies as a boxset! I hope that they'll also release these two titles. I'll watch them this evening. I noticed that the subtitles on these Hoker releases are sometimes not very accurate, and are full of mispellings from time to time...

• Like 2