What is the most recent Shaw Brothers film you've seen?

blue_skies

The final fight is fantastic, though, with an almost Samurai Film like sense of stillness and silence. And everything surrounding the fights are unusually sensitively made: Ho always seemed to be more interested in melodrama than martial-arts, and this is the one film where I really feel he splits the balance between the two instead of going too far in either direction.

Intentional or not, Tang should look beat! His character's been through hell in this film.

• Like 1

odioustrident

Does anyone else think some of Ho Meng Hua's productions felt rushed compared to the rest of the Shaw canon? This applies more to the editing on his later work. The guy did direct a lot of films...

Black Enforcer had some odd continuity but still felt pretty sound to me. I heard there were two different cuts... one of which doesn't include key parts of the final fight. I'll try to dredge up the old post where I read that but I think the ZiiEagle version is more complete. Can't remember if the King Video print is the same but they were similar cuts at the very least.

Cold Bishop - where did you read that it took so long to make? I like this film but Lady Hermit is probably my favorite as far as this director goes.

• Like 1

I think that rushed aspect does happen: Ho was very much aware of his contract at Shaw, which was per usual for a ridiculous amount of films per year. If he didn't make that many films per year, he still owed them to Shaw with the next batch. Ho would take time on his projects every once in a while, then rush and panic and try to go through as many as possible (which probably explains the slumps in quality throughout his filmography, and why he never seemed picky about Exploitation projects).

My viewing source is definitely the ZiiEagle print.

There are articles in I believe Southern Screen with Ho Meng-Hua and crew already shooting in South Korea dating back to 1969. And with Chin Ping in the Wang Ping role.

I can't say I understand the constant love for Lady Hermit, which felt above average to me.

• Like 1

odioustrident

I think the general love for Lady Hermit has a lot to do with the nostalgia factor and Cheng Pei Pei. The films also has some good choreography and seemingly high production values (although that is pretty tough to determine). Black Enforcer has great sets but the sense of scale in Lady Hermit is something a lot of fans like... this is probably because our first introduction to the early swordplay's was through Chang Cheh films.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Bastard 1973 Chor Yuen-

Just finally finished this off. It was tough getting through it, with all the childlike acting and story. It sort of reminded me of the movie StepBrothers, in that everything was so off the wall. The finale is pretty over the top, so I could see why there are fans, but I just didn't get it. The star looks like he would fall over at any moment during the fight scenes, and the dialog is pretty trite. I suppose there is some great lesson or point about parenting, or how wealth doesn't mean being classy, etc, but I was just finishing it just to get through it. visually, I have to say, it is very pretty, and the highlight was seeing Lily Li's legs, but that was about it. Oh, and the way everyone flew through walls and windows was pretty fun, at the end, but that was about it.

• Like 1

I liked The Bastard while admitting that Chung Wa's incredulous naivety kind of keeps it from making a mark as a true classic. With that said, so many Shaw Bashers from this period seem to be about disillusionment, and perhaps none more structurally extreme than this one: in the span of the narrative, it goes from being a silly comedy to one of the bleakest and saddest kung-fu films of the period. It's not nearly a stylistic as some of Chor's other films, but there are definitive moments where he flexes his muscle. The "seduction" scene is about as unadulterated Chor Yuen as you can get, from the sirensong/lullaby on the white swing, to the decadent overdose of flowers. And the whole last 15 minutes is solid for the period, and I think Chung Wa's fight with Wu Chi-Chin is genuinely great, if heavy on trampoline-fu. Despite how clumsy some of the material is earlier, I found the bitterness of the final montage genuinely effective.

It's no The Killer, but until that gets restored properly, it will do as a rare example of a Chor Yuen kung-fu film.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU
I liked The Bastard while admitting that Chung Wa's incredulous naivety kind of keeps it from making a mark as a true classic. With that said, so many Shaw Bashers from this period seem to be about disillusionment, and perhaps none more structurally extreme than this one: in the span of the narrative, it goes from being a silly comedy to one of the bleakest and saddest kung-fu films of the period. It's not nearly a stylistic as some of Chor's other films, but there are definitive moments where he flexes his muscle. The "seduction" scene is about as unadulterated Chor Yuen as you can get, from the sirensong/lullaby on the white swing, to the decadent overdose of flowers. And the whole last 15 minutes is solid for the period, and I think Chung Wa's fight with Wu Chi-Chin is genuinely great, if heavy on trampoline-fu. Despite how clumsy some of the material is earlier, I found the bitterness of the final montage genuinely effective.

It's no The Killer, but until that gets restored properly, it will do as a rare example of a Chor Yuen kung-fu film.

Like I said, I like the ending. I am sure I am missing some of the Chinese Culture, it just left me cold. Lily Li was cute though!

• Like 1

Delightful Forest – I really enjoyed this movie, action was solid but nothing outstanding, Ti Lung had a fantastic intensity about him, bloody and violent, lots of blades.

• Like 1

Delightful Forest – I really enjoyed this movie, action was solid but nothing outstanding, Ti Lung had a fantastic intensity about him, bloody and violent, lots of blades.
What's especially worth noting is that, despite its "wuxia" source and being part of a wuxia pian series, it's probably Chang Cheh's first Pre-Republican Era Kung-Fu film, a good year and a half before the Shaolin Cycle. There's very little swordplay, almost entirely hand-to hand (or more accurately, foot-to-hand) combat. I also think it's something of a leap forward for Chang: while we're nowhere near shapes, the fights feel much more cleanly delineated than the brawls before (the final fight is terrific).

Of course, there's the question of whether Pao Hsueh-Li didn't direct the whole film himself, something Chang Cheh intimates in his memoirs. And it would make sense: by this point, Chang Cheh had largely moved to a much more plain-spoken style, while Pao never lost his cinematographer's eye. This film is much better composed than many surrounding it.

Of course, one should avoid the DVDs like the plague, which feature what may be the worst remix in Celestial's history: they didn't replace the music cues so much as mute them and laid an entirely new track over it. The result is unlistenable cacophony, all the more damaging since there's a musical montage in the middle of the film. I understand the Blu rectifies this, so I really need to give the film another shot at some point.

• Like 1

What's especially worth noting is that, despite its "wuxia" source and being part of a wuxia pian series, it's probably Chang Cheh's first Pre-Republican Era Kung-Fu film, a good year and a half before the Shaolin Cycle. There's very little swordplay, almost entirely hand-to hand (or more accurately, foot-to-hand) combat. I also think it's something of a leap forward for Chang: while we're nowhere near shapes, the fights feel much more cleanly delineated than the brawls before (the final fight is terrific).

Of course, there's the question of whether Pao Hsueh-Li didn't direct the whole film himself, something Chang Cheh intimates in his memoirs. And it would make sense: by this point, Chang Cheh had largely moved to a much more plain-spoken style, while Pao never lost his cinematographer's eye. This film is much better composed than many surrounding it.

Of course, one should avoid the DVDs like the plague, which feature what may be the worst remix in Celestial's history: they didn't replace the music cues so much as mute them and laid an entirely new track over it. The result is unlistenable cacophony, all the more damaging since there's a musical montage in the middle of the film. I understand the Blu rectifies this, so I really need to give the film another shot at some point.

Thanks for all of your insight there, I didn't know any of that. As far as the music goes I did actually think there were some strange choices of music but thought nothing further of it.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Was that the R1 dvd? I could have sworn the IVL was proper mono - sold it years ago.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Just watched the Magnificent Swordsman- Did a review-

[Wong Chung Sun, (mostly recognized in the west as the treacherous uncle in Way of the Dragon, or the Cook/Japanese Spy in Fist of Fury.) as the leading man. Many Japanese films had stars such as Katsu and Wayakama (brothers, actually) who were pretty repellant by today’s standards, yet prowled the screen as manly men, irresistible to women, and extremely strong, despite basically a pear shape. Of course, there was a time when men were judged more on success or ability then appearance, so maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing. Wong’s Jiang even carries a sword cane, like Zatoichi.

Wong made a career of playing heavies. Tall and rangy, he was fairly intimidating.

Wong seemed to dub his own voice for most of his Shaws, and he has a very distinctive, gravelly growl, which often shows up the rather bland and posh other dubbers.

He is rather underused in the two Bruce movies (compensating with a serving of very glazed ham) so his Shaw roles were very nice to see.

• Like 1

Was that the R1 dvd? I could have sworn the IVL was proper mono - sold it years ago.

Hmmm... seems you're right. Odd that Celestial would keep the mono and stick the R1 company with the remix. But yes, avoid the Sword Masters DVD. It's so awful I'm almost convinced it was a mistake...

Their Blu-Ray, however, is fine.

• Like 1

I just got done watching "The Daredevils." I believe most people believe it to be a "lesser" Venoms and while I might agree for the most part, I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy it! The last half an hour is one of the most energetic finales I've ever seen.

The plot's a little unusual and if you easily tire of acrobatics, you might not like it but the action is great and, as a bonus, we get to see Lo Meng use nunchaku!

• Like 1

I watched "Disciples of Shaolin" for the first time tonight. I feel a little fifty-fifty on it. I loved the fights towards the end but I just didn't feel like there was enough of them.

The plot was fine but felt a little empty at times. I hope to make my way through Chang Cheh's other Shaolin films after seeing this one. I enjoyed this one but just wanted more.

• Like 1

The Fighting Fool - 1979

Some good old shaw fisticuffs with a classic tale of an evil master (Kuan Feng) trying to get his masters secret weapon from his ex-brother-cum good guy master (Wang Sha)...you follow?!

One of few movies to have eagle claw guys on both sides of the fence, although its only really the bad guy that shows off some eagle form, its mostly acrobatic a-typical shaw style fare from the rest

Not to say the quality wasnt there, the 2 masters and the main protagonist (Meng Yuen Man) are all above par plus the action from Hsu Hsia was well executed

It was quite enjoyable but would have been a much better film with an adjustment to the comedy angle. I enjoy a bit of wacky comedy in some of my fu, but this got a bit weird. Main letdown in this regard was the score. Some moments of straight up screen bashing were made bizarre moreso than funny with clownish music. Other scenes were done right though. The "Indian" slaver fight was the best comical moment in the film with his weakness being linked to the snake charmer music his companion played...so he could use his faux-snake style!!

I give it :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::tongue:/5:bigsmile:

vH1wj96RPcw

• Like 1

The Fighting Fool - 1979

Some good old shaw fisticuffs with a classic tale of an evil master (Kuan Feng) trying to get his masters secret weapon from his ex-brother-cum good guy master (Wang Sha)...you follow?!

One of few movies to have eagle claw guys on both sides of the fence, although its only really the bad guy that shows off some eagle form, its mostly acrobatic a-typical shaw style fare from the rest

Not to say the quality wasnt there, the 2 masters and the main protagonist (Meng Yuen Man) are all above par plus the action from Hsu Hsia was well executed

It was quite enjoyable but would have been a much better film with an adjustment to the comedy angle. I enjoy a bit of wacky comedy in some of my fu, but this got a bit weird. Main letdown in this regard was the score. Some moments of straight up screen bashing were made bizarre moreso than funny with clownish music. Other scenes were done right though. The "Indian" slaver fight was the best comical moment in the film with his weakness being linked to the snake charmer music his companion played...so he could use his faux-snake style!!

I give it :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::tongue:/5:bigsmile:

vH1wj96RPcw

I actually almost never watched this because of a lot of negative comments about the movie on this forum. However having watched the first scene on YouTube I decided to give it a go and thought this turned out to be a very good movie. I enjoyed the majority of the fight sequences and even some of the completely insane WTF moments have me laughing in places. It was definitely one of the best kung fu movies I watched last year, in a year that didn't have too many highlights this was one.

• Like 1

The Delightful Forest. Such a good movie with so many things going for it. Plot was moved well for a ma film, very fast paced and brutal action, and Ti Lung showed me that he is a hell of a kicker when he wants to be. Good music too. Probably one of my favorite Ti Lung performances, and there are many good ones.

Water Margin and Tiger Killer are on order, and I already own all men are brothers.. I need more Wu Song!

• Like 1

• Administrator
The Delightful Forest. Such a good movie with so many things going for it. Plot was moved well for a ma film, very fast paced and brutal action, and Ti Lung showed me that he is a hell of a kicker when he wants to be. Good music too. Probably one of my favorite Ti Lung performances, and there are many good ones.

Love this movie! The climactic end battle in this is one of my favorites.

I was always surprised that Ti Lung didn't do more, and more impressive kicking as I had read that he started out in Tae Kwon Do. So reasonably you could expect his kicks to be a bit more accomplished. On the other hand, his real life Wing Chun skills definitely show through in his fast hands. Shame that he didn't have many chances on film to show these pure Wing Chun skills though. The best example I've seen is in the just okay film STAR RUNNER (2003, aka. Kumite), which was shot when he was already 57 years old. The few minutes of Ti in this film were the highlight for me, and his skills actually looked better than ever.

• Like 1

Water Margin and Tiger Killer are on order, and I already own all men are brothers.. I need more Wu Song!

The Shaw movie "Pursuit" (1972) doesn't seem to get talked about much, but I thought this was a really strong movie---it's another chapter of the Water Margin stories. It's actually the same story as the 90s wire-fu movie "All Men are Brothers--Blood of the Leopard." I'd give it a recommendation if you're looking for more of those films.

• Like 1

The Shaw movie "Pursuit" (1972) doesn't seem to get talked about much, but I thought this was a really strong movie
Pursuit isn't as strong as Cheng Kang's two other wuxias of the era, but it really is a minor masterpiece in its own right. It does follow some of the same beats as Delightful Forest (as well as Cheng's earlier ultra-bleak Wang Yu swordplay film Sword of Swords), and its not a particularly huge "action" film, but in the story and drama department, its top notch. In fact, when he brought his A-game, Cheng Kang may very well have been the best director at the studio.
  • Like 1

• Administrator
Pursuit isn't as strong as Cheng Kang's two other wuxias of the era, but it really is a minor masterpiece in its own right. It does follow some of the same beats as Delightful Forest (as well as Cheng's earlier ultra-bleak Wang Yu swordplay film Sword of Swords), and its not a particularly huge "action" film, but in the story and drama department, its top notch. In fact, when he brought his A-game, Cheng Kang may very well have been the best director at the studio.

Very nice to hear! I dig SWORD OF SWORDS too.

Have you seen The Twelve Gold Medallions yet? It's Cheng's masterpiece, and one of the greatest wuxia pians ever made at Shaw Brothers!

I still wonder what Cheng Kang's Flying Guillotine would have looked like if he could have made it the way he wanted. He never returned to the genre, which is a crying shame considering how great he was at it.

• Like 1

• Administrator
Have you seen The Twelve Gold Medallions yet? It's Cheng's masterpiece, and one of the greatest wuxia pians ever made at Shaw Brothers!

I still wonder what Cheng Kang's Flying Guillotine would have looked like if he could have made it the way he wanted. He never returned to the genre, which is a crying shame considering how great he was at it.

I bought that title as a pre-order blind buy when IVL first released it. I absolutely loved it. Still, I've only watched it once so far. So many films to check out...

I didn't know that he had problems on FLYING GUILLOTINE. You have my attention and I'd love to hear about it. Perhaps we can discuss this on a thread for the film? Or if there isn't one, start one?

• Like 1