To Kill a Mastermind (1979)

BigDruDogg

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports for this movie. First of all I heard it was great and a worthy addition to any marital arts/shaw collection. I also heard the film was damaged in the shaw studio fire and is un-salvageable.. Then I heard it's on the slate to be remastered by Celestial??

Does anyone have any solid info about this movie, its been on my must see list for a while, and I can't seem to find it anywhere....

To-Kill-A-Mastermind-poster_512368a202184727338a833c5b089756.jpg

I've also heard Criterion is considering this for a 2 disc release sometime in 2011.

Just kidding.

You gotdamn bastard! :sad:

all i have seen of this movie are the scenes on youtube etc--but i have to admit it looks like a good one--there is even rumors that it had an english dub. if i ever win the lottery i'd have it remastered myself---so you know what the chances are of it ever happening are---slim and none. as for celestial having an unusable print--i highly doubt that as they have not exactly been truthful about their business all the time. we can always hope.:ooh:

OpiumKungFuCracker

This is the holy grail of all Shaw Brothers film to be release... Anything can happen so cross your fingers!!!

Fang Shih-yu

It is unfortunate that two Shaws from Sun Chung aren't available in any form. If this were taking place in Hollywood, I'd say Chung has prints of these in a safety deposit box or something, but this not the case, DAGNABBIT! (Pardon my French!:tongue:) @ teako170.... Nice image! I know the guy on the far left is Chung, so all I need to ask is: (1) Did the guy on the far right (Republican?) kill Ric Meyers? (2) Is the man in the middle (white beard) Bill Bixby?:27:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

MY question; " Has anyone seen this"?

This movie is a legend unto itself.

I almost got the chance.

In the mid 90's I ordered a VHS from Beijing Video. The MF sent me the worst unwatchable print under the sun, the WORST. I was so pissed off at the bastard for even having the balls to send out such a product. He seems to have had no remorse for his dastardly deed. Oh well.

GD Y-Y

The Silver Fox

I have a rough DVD-R version of it. The original source is a Malay VHS, but I think this came from a torrent, the quality is garbage.

The language spoken is Mandarin and Eng sub titles are partially cut off on the bottom. My copy starts seizing up about 2/3rds into the film and I have to mess around with it to get it to play.

From what I can see, it is a pretty cool movie with great choreography and weapons work. I think the rareness of the film has raised it's profile. I'd rate it around the same quality as 'Judgement of an Assassin' or 'Rendezvous With Death'.

Elvis Mantis

Somebody on this forum had a good copy of it, he was offering it in trade for 2 movies. Can't remember the dude's name, but I remember he was going to law school at Seton Hall, here in NJ.

Yo, if you're out there--help a brother out......:wink:

Somebody on this forum had a good copy of it, he was offering it in trade for 2 movies. Can't remember the dude's name, but I remember he was going to law school at Seton Hall, here in NJ.

Yo, if you're out there--help a brother out......:wink:

That was gfanikf - who I got my copy from.

eI-PjA9lyGU

If the subs were just a little easier to read on that version. I have a copy from gfanikf also. The Lady Exterminator is another Sun Chung film that wasn't released with Celestial.

wizard12220
MY question; " Has anyone seen this"?

This movie is a legend unto itself.

I saw it in big screen on the early 80's and I thought it is a very solid movie. The feels of the movie are similar to Avenging Eagle.

The most interesting part is Sun Chung didn't used any big stars, and that was enough to make you can't predict who is the good guy until near the end.

I am SO surprised there hasn't been ANY project to create a fansub or at least a transcript! Does anyone know if there ever was such a movement to this end?

GBertho_ArtBannerII.gif

It would be great if I knew what hell was going on this movie. Could someone who knows about the following things PM me...

1. the masked guys

2. ku feng

3. the "passers-by"

The more I see it, the more things I find that I appreciate. Wang Lung Wei's stoic reaction when he showed Yuen Hua that note is really something. Little things like that add up. And yeah somebody is asleep at the wheel. If they can fansub cartoons they can fansub this. This is serious biz.

loempiavreter

I heard on FLKcinema that To Kill A Mastermind, was remastered and ready to be pressed by Celestial... but then it all came into a stand still. Why? Financial problems apparently.

Probably because everyone is downloading there releases through torrents and rapidshare!

What a SHAME!

Here are some pictures from the remastered version:

tokill.jpg