The Top Ten Must Own Shaws

Guest Markgway

Am I the only one who thinks the action in Heroes Two is heads and tails above the rest of these movies? Just always seemed more direct and hard-hitting to me. It’s also always a pleasure to see Chen Kuan Thai in more of a leading role.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

It's kind of amusing how Chang Cheh would go out of his way not to include women in his treehouse.

I suspect the front office occasionally had words, hence SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS and INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

He had women in prominent roles in nearly all his early films.... and several of the later ones. Sur, they were often girlfriend, villainess or temptress roles, but that still counts. I think the Venoms run is as "sausage fest" as it got.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 3/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, paimeifist said:

Am I the only one who thinks the action in Heroes Two is heads and tails above the rest of these movies? Just always seemed more direct and hard-hitting to me. It’s also always a pleasure to see Chen Kuan Thai in more of a leading role.

My only problem with Heroes Two is that Chu Mu doesn't make for a phyisically imposing final boss - the sight of him waddling into battle never fails to bring out the giggles.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
On 3/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, DrNgor said:

HEROES 2 is the only 1974 film in the Shaolin Cycle that I haven't seen yet. Among the other three, I think Five Shaolin Masters is better than Shaolin Martial Arts and Men from the Monastery, with more, better and more varied action.

Five Shaolin Masters is essentially nothing but fights, but damn good ones. The weird narrative structure of MFTM isn't very good, and Shaolin Martial Arts is too slowly paced - it does feel more like a Lau Kar-leung film than a Chang Cheh one.

• Like 4

On 3/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, Killer Meteor said:

Shaolin Martial Arts is too slowly paced - it does feel more like a Lau Kar-leung film than a Chang Cheh one.

Agree everything but too. Yes it moves quite slowly but it`s not boring or drag. Chi Kuan Chun is given rare chance to be something more than just stoic stonefaced shaolin disciple in cc movie. But indeed because of calm atmosphere instead of tension it feel at tmies could have been LKL movie..

• Like 3

On 3/26/2020 at 1:19 PM, paimeifist said:

Yes you are ..:monk_coolagent:...Well I would put in to about middle of "cycle"..tunnel concept and "brother" is at times bit corny but CKT is given great role...but I had this on vhs so nostalgy factors speaks a bit but not revisiting this so often these days, Like KM said final boss is not that strong one but at least tibetan fighters make up little bit...and lot in fact..

• Like 4

From virtuous fighting styles, epic direction, atmospheric cinematography and good story telling to down right good and fun movies. These 10 Shaws covers everything that I find so enjoyable with MA films!

1.The Avenging Eagle
2.Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
3.Kung Fu Instructor
4.The Chinese Boxer
5.Fist of the White Lotus
6.Shaolin Temple
7.King Boxer
8.36th Chambers of Shaolin
9.Crippled Avengers
10.Bastard Swordsman

Edited by Django
  • Like 5

No particular order but these dvds/brs I would take to deserted island with;

golden swallow

golden knight

chinatown kid(arrow br)

5 shaolin masters

invincible fist

devils mirror

masked avengers

shaolin mantis

deadly secret

12 deadly coins

• Like 2

thundered mantis

1. Three evil masters

2. Opium and Kung Fu Master

3. Stroke of Death

4. Two Champions of Shaolin

5. The Gang Master

6. Martial Club

7. Heroes of the East

8. Super Ninjas

9. Legendary Weapons

10. Shaolin Intruders

• Like 3

Ten Isn't enough for me, there are so many good Shaws, but here are a few titles I would keep ly whole life whatever happens.

Shaolin handlock

Shaolin intruders

Shaolin prince

Five shaolin masters

Have sword will travel

The Heroic Ones

The duel

Five venoms 

King Eagle

Twelve Gold Medallions 

I may have a different list on another day !

• Like 2