Vengeance is a Golden Blade / 飛燕金 (1969)

Guest morgoth

Guest Austin Jones

I liked Vengeance is a Golden Blade - a little too revenge-heavy and secretive at times - so much that you're wishing they would just get on with the retribution-killings. Lots of trusting the wrong people, getting screwed, trusting them yet again, getting screwed, etc. It kind of reminds me of "Pursuit", where the protagonist just keeps getting shafted, making the revenge, which takes a long time to develop, very satisfying when it finally happens.

I haven't seen Shadow Whip, but have heard good things about it.

Austin Jones

Guest Poelie

I have the Thai version and though I kind of liked the movie, the action was really ridiculously sped up. I mean Keystone Cops/Donnie Yen 'The Kung Fu Master' sped up!

Is this also a problem in the Celestial version?

Guest killer meteor

I have the genuine PAL DVD of the Shadow Whip. Most of the fights look OK aside from the one between Ku Feng and Tien Feng which looks as if it was filmed at a jerky speed and frame cut ala Joseph Kuo

I think I liked Shadow Whip a little better---the On Her Majesty's Secret Service music helped, and I like Cheng Pei Pei a little better and the snowy locales were cool, but Golden Blade was a pretty solid 60's swordplay, too. Not much difference between them quality wise, IMO.

I didn't notice too much undercranking in Shadow Whip (and I"m pretty sensitive to that--I hate it!), but as mentioned, there is some of that jerky-frame stuff. But although I liked the movie, I think Shadow Whip does have the most hilariously bad moment out of all the Shaw movies I've seen---where Yueh Wah is supposed to do a dramatice wire-assisted leap off his horse, and instead it's clear that he's painfully and akwardly YANKED up off his horse by the wire :rollin

Guest morgoth

Hey KY, I thought the undercranking was a bit overdone and not used to great effect but I loved the action overall. And I agree that the wirework was pretty funny at times. Does Golden Blade have the same jerkiness problems as Shadow Whip and Wandering Swordsman? I just watched Have Sword, Will Travel and there were no problems, so hopefully there are no problems with Golden Blade.

morgoth,

I haven't watched Vengeance is a Golden Blade in a few months, but I don't recall that the fight scenes were sped up, or jerky. It was just kind of standard 60's swordplay action, as I recall---as was the movie as a whole. Li Ching is always a cutie, and the story and action were fine, as I recall.

Felt like some wuxia last night so popped this one into the player.

Not bad ... not bad.

Nice little character driven plot with ample amounts of fighting.

Chin Ping (who was 26/27 at the time but looked much younger) stole the show.

I've seen her in Mag Trio and Trail of the Broken Blade so far and looking forward to --

watching her in 12 Gold Medallions and Temple of the Red Lotus.

(And, oh yeah, need to break out that copy of Tiger Boy as well.) :rolleyes:

Mark did a review of this film a while back. Any fans/comments on this one...?

I did one in the review section. I thought it was excellent. The swordplay was lacking but everything else made up for it. Ho Meng Hua did his best work, IMO, in his early career. His later movies seemed to follow a similar trajectory to Chang Cheh in that his later work saw him as a director simply "having fun" with the material.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I've seen her in Mag Trio and Trail of the Broken Blade so far and looking forward to --

watching her in 12 Gold Medallions and Temple of the Red Lotus.

QUOTE]

12 GOLD MEDALLIONS was one I picked up without having ever heard anything about it. Nice surprise! A really cool flick. :cool:

Remember watching and enjoying VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE, but can't recall enough details to comment. It was about 200 movies ago, you know?

VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE has an interesting story and set of characters and strong lead actors in Chin Ping (not Li Ching, as someone indicated here), Tang Ching as the father, and Kao Pao Shu as the treacherous mother. The daughter is torn between the parents at one point, and she's nearly seduced by the mother's promise of luxury and fine things at the brothel that the mother operates, something the daughter hasn't known with her father at the herbal farm where they've been hiding out from the father's enemies for a number of years.

It's a film you see for the drama, the characters and the acting, not the action or swordplay, which are there, but not as abundant as we'd like.

gravedigger666

Vengeance is golden blace is okay timewaster.Not boring at all,but there is nothing special to bring me back to watch it ever again same like with Shadow Whip.

Aforementioned 12 Gold Medallions is superior.

Iron_Leopard

Vengeance is a Golden Blade might be my new favorite Shaw film. That's how much I enjoyed it after finishing my first time watch a few minutes ago.

This and Killer Darts make for a great double feature.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Vengeance is a Golden Blade might be my new favorite Shaw film. That's how much I enjoyed it after finishing my first time watch a few minutes ago.

This and Killer Darts make for a great double feature.

Two of my favorite movies from the duo Yueh Hua / Chin Ping.

And Twelve gold medallions and You have a wining trio.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard
18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Two of my favorite movies from the duo Yueh Hua / Chin Ping.

And Twelve gold medallions and You have a wining trio.

Yueh Hua and Chin Ping are my favorite martial arts duo now. And I still need to see Twelve Gold Medallions. 

Are those the only three they did together?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Yueh Hua and Chin Ping are my favorite martial arts duo now. And I still need to see Twelve Gold Medallions. 

Are those the only three they did together?

Yueh Hua had a cameo as a dancer in one of the Musicals in which Chin Ping played, I won't remember the title. I don' t remember either if they are paired again in other movies.

You should try The Young Avenger, in which Yueh Hua is paired with Shih Szu, it's a great movie !

And among the movies in which he is paired with Cheng Pei Pei, I recommend The Shadow Whip and Raw Courage.

• Like 2