Avenging Eagle, Magic Blade, or Deadly Breaking Sword?

Guest oldeschool17

I’ve had Avenging Eagle on DVD for about 5years and never watched it🤔Don’t have the other two so I take it they are worth acquiring?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sym8 said:

I’ve had Avenging Eagle on DVD for about 5years and never watched it🤔Don’t have the other two so I take it they are worth acquiring?

Yes.........with a Capital Y. :bs_thumbsup:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sym8 said:

?????

Please, please watch the film.  You will not regret it.

• Like 6

ChillyChong

For me it`s tie between Magic Blade and Avenging Eagle. Eagle has great story, decent action and excellent camerawork, top tier movie definitely. But there is something in Blade cannot describe. It just feels so addictive..

Haven`t watched Deadly Breaking S yet.

• Like 4

Jizzmaster Jerry

Avenging Eagle is my fav but all 3 are masterpieces.  I can’t think of any MA movies from 76 that are better than Magic Blade.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Avenging Eagle is my fav but all 3 are masterpieces.  I can’t think of any MA movies from 76 that are better than Magic Blade.  

Shaolin Temple was also a good one in 76.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

If I really had to decide between AVENGING EAGLE and MAGIC BLADE for the rest of my life it would probably break me :D  Love them both, for different reasons. DEADLY BREAKING SWORD I like too but not on that level. Apart from the short scene with TL and FS doing their drinking game I always rewind and watch it at least twice.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I honestly think Magic Blade is the weakest of the bunch. But that’s probably because I absolutely love Deadly Breaking Sword.

I need to watch Avenging Eagle again (just picked up the German Blu Ray) but I’m 99% sure that’s my favorite of the trio.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I honestly think Magic Blade is the weakest of the bunch. But that’s probably because I absolutely love Deadly Breaking Sword.

Yeah, I'm the opposite: I place Deadly Breaking Sword at the bottom of the bunch, but mainly because I can't get past what Fu Sheng does to Lily Li.

I think Avenging Eagle is the best. Magic Blade is good, but it has an underwhelming final one-on-one.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, I'm the opposite: I place Deadly Breaking Sword at the bottom of the bunch, but mainly because I can't get past what Fu Sheng does to Lily Li.

I think Avenging Eagle is the best. Magic Blade is good, but it has an underwhelming final one-on-one.

I too hated Fu Sheng's behaviour towards Lily Li !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I too hated Fu Sheng's behaviour towards Lily Li !

Indeed. I don't care how your character is written or what his motivation is: when Lily Li Li-Li (or even Lily Lee Lee-Lee, both are legitimate options) offers you a place in her panties, you accept. End of story.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Indeed. I don't care how your character is written or what his motivation is: when Lily Li Li-Li (or even Lily Lee Lee-Lee, both are legitimate options) offers you a place in her panties, you accept. End of story.

Well, that's not really this part that I hated (yes, in a sense, he should have accepted her love), but rather the fact that

Spoiler

she is killed because of him and he doesn't even care of her death !

• Like 2

Just now, ShawAngela said:

Well, that's not really this part that I hated (yes, in a sense, he should have accepted her love), but rather the fact that

Hide contents

she is killed because of him and he doesn't even care of her death !

Well, those two scenes go hand in hand. Neither action is justifiable.

• Like 2

Killa Scott

I think anyone that's received the German Avenging Eagle should start a dedicated thread, how complete is it, how good was the restoration, etc., inquiring minds want to know :smile

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry
16 hours ago, Killa Scott said:

I think anyone that's received the German Avenging Eagle should start a dedicated thread, how complete is it, how good was the restoration, etc., inquiring minds want to know :smile

Agreed.  And I think all new releases should get their own thread.  For kung fu movies at least.  I don’t care much about anything else.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry

17 hours ago, Killa Scott said:

Still waiting on mine from D&T, shipping to the UK seems to take forever from there, in fact it's not even shipped yet and been available for a couple of weeks. I won't be using them again as my previous order was the same... still back to the point would like to hear if it's a good release..

osbournecox
54 minutes ago, clanarchy said:

Still waiting on mine from D&T, shipping to the UK seems to take forever from there, in fact it's not even shipped yet and been available for a couple of weeks. I won't be using them again as my previous order was the same... still back to the point would like to hear if it's a good release..

i recently posted a link in another topic, maybe this helps with future purchases :)

https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/topic/4585-upcoming-english-friendly-german-dvds-blu-rays/page/90/#comment-392563

• Like 1

It's a very good release! But:

It was mentioned that the Mandarin audio is Cantonese and unfortunately, it's not fully uncut. But longer than any other officially released version (on disc). The main missing fight scene is there but it's from a very worn-out reel. It's noticeable, but the restoration is good. A few very short scenes, which can be (exclusively?) found on the old german VHS, are still missing: https://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=587266

Edited by chonk
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, chonk said:

It's a very good release! But:

It was mentioned that the Mandarin audio is Cantonese and unfortunately, it's not fully uncut. But longer than any other officially released version (on disc). The main missing fight scene is there but it's from a very worn-out reel. It's noticeable, but the restoration is good. A few very short scenes, which can be (exclusively?) found on the old german VHS, are still missing: https://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=587266

There's no need for a separate thread about this release. Everything that you need to know is encapsulated in this post by @chonk. The big caveat for me is the missing Mandarin audio which is disappointing since the back cover explicitly states Mandarin. Yes some minor scenes are missing but the main fight scene is intact even if the they used a lesser quality source but they did restore it and didn't just leave it "as is" like TVP for example.

• Like 4

In defense of Deadly Breaking Sword...

This movie's slowly becoming my favorite Shaw Brothers wuxia. The whole movie feels like a dream to me. I love the way the camera ambles though these lavish, slightly fantastical interior sets; the relative small scale of the film (basically simplistic cloak-and-dagger drama between a few characters centering around two locations, an inn and a gambling den); the inexplicable gimmick (why does Ti Lung leave a piece of sword in everyone he kills? Who cares? It's cool, and makes for an interesting title)... etc. They smartly chose not to adapt a novel, so the plot isn't too messy/cluttered like a lot of these movies.

The action's on point. Striking memorable opening scene, that duel in the middle of a nocturnal ghost town set. 

Ti Lung's OTT arrogant protagonist is hilarious. Memorably, after he gets disinvited from some ceremony, he breaks into that courtesan's room just to call her mediocre looking, laugh at her, and then leaves without explanation. It's just chad move after chad move. 

Avenging Eagle isn't far behind. That one has a couple flaws though--I don't find Ti Lung very convincing handling a 3 section staff. Some of the outside sets are a little hokey, and the film over-uses slow motion a bit. Still a great movie, and it's narratively the best of the 3.

Edited by SDJ
  • Like 2

It's so close for me between Avenging Eagle and Deadly Breaking Sword but if I was forced to choose one I would probably go with Avenging Eagle. Magic Blade is very good, but, because of a few issues it has to take 3rd place against the other 2.

• Like 2