Why so much Blur in Latest Releases

Guest THE BASTARD

Guest THE BASTARD

I cant help but notice all these blurry scenes in the latest shaw brothers releases. It appears to

be uncalled for. Im not sure it if was the way it was originally filmed. For instance i cannot see

why someone would actually want to blur a scene or a series of scenes. But it seems to be

happening. I noticed it mostly in Shaolin Abbot, and Boxer from the temple. But i have noticed

it before in other films. What is the reasoning behind this hogwash?

I think the people at Celestial are getting LAZY and skipping over frames at this point. Ive read

that they and seen footage of them having to go over each film frame by frame.

20-30 trailers missing in the last year as well. This makes me believe they had a meeting and

the goal was cost cutting and so they Voted NO and to abandon making trailers.

This isnt cool, some of those movies probably never had a trailer but that never stopped them

in the past. What's gives that was the only chance for people to see a trailer. Guess they just

dont care like us because they are not fans. Oh well.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

I know folks will say something about pal to ntsc upgrade malarkys, frame-clipping shenanigans, etc. and other stuffs I don't understand... but anyhoo, early on for a while I was getting headaches from some discs now and again due to a bit of blur on the picture... then discovered a "tv system" button on my dvd remote, tapped this and they all play like a dream to these eyes now. Clear and crisp.

Guest killer meteor

The blue caused by the standards conversion is annoying, but I've managed to obscure it by fiddling with the picture settings on both my TV and DVD player

Guest THESHAWMAN

There is definetely some noticable 'BLUR' or 'OUT OF FOCUS'

look on alot of scenes in alot of these releases by celestial..

i have noticed this often,and sometimes its just parts of the picture that have it,and seem out of focus to the rest!!!

but,its definetely noticable ...

Guest oldeschool17

thats IVL's/Image's lovely video conversions for you. Notice how Dragon Dynasty and Siren Visual didnt have those issues.

Guest killer meteor

The blur is caused by converting the PAL masters into NTSC and not correcting the frame rate

Guest Markgway

Are we sure it's not just out of focus cinematography?

It seems to only happen on certain shots not entire scenes.

Guest killer meteor

I'm referring to blurry movement, I may have misunderstood the original post!

Rivals Of Kung Fu struck me as being shot out of focus - out of brain too!

Guest Markgway

I thought it was just blurry shots we were talking about.

The blurry movement is at least partly down to the standards conversion.

I'm talking about static shots that are clearly out of focus. I saw a film recently that had a few shots like that but as usual I've forgotten what it was. :o

Guest THE BASTARD

The blur or Blurryness is appearing on film almost whats to be indiscriminately. Doesnt matter

if it's the background. But it's usually only Part of the Background or someones face (someone

in the background) or body and the area around them. When everything else is focused.

I understand with filming this happens depending on what the camera is Focused on things

in the forefront may or may not be focused depending if your focusing on the background

or not and vice versa. But this is something else im sure of it. Seems like some sort of Un-

Sharp mask over part of the scene. This is how i am almost certain it came to be in the editing

process. Someone made a mistake or Something (series of mistakes). Like i said they had

to go over the scenes while remastering them one frame at a time. That's tedious work so

either that smudging and burring comes from the fingerprints of someone eating a peanut

butter sandwhich or the person was just tired.

All in all it's pretty careless, highly noticable. I will take a few screenshots for the board

tommorow.

Guest THE BASTARD

I took a few screenshots of Shaolin Abbot and Boxer from The Temple. I just have to foward this

by saying most of the film is fine so if you want to get it go ahead. I am just pointing out that at

several points during both of these films there are very clear instances of blurring which take

place through the movie. Most of it is fine, i cant really stress that again.

Ok i didnt really have time to go through these movies but after seeing the instances of blurring

occur i have come to a conclusion. It was a 2 fold error one on the part of the people who re-

mastered the films because they should have fixed it and not left scenes looking this way,

It's a tedious process going through each frame, some of the blurring was probably used to

take of scratches or curb the prescence of grain who knows. But mainly i noticed the fault

lied with the camera they chose to film the movie.

At least that's the way it seems... It's the film-makers fault, the person who shot the film.

For instance when the camera was pointed on the Character speaking in the distance the

person who shot the film left the focus on the characters closer to the camera.

When finally if ever there was a time to focus on the Character speaking and there was a

Zoom then and only then did the Actor come into focus.

This slip shod type technique during filming IMO there is no excuse for it. Both of these films

were made around 1978-82 So they had pretty good cameras aimed at capturing scenes

best for Cinema.

I dont know if they were using old Camera's or Camera's that needed to be UPgraded but

there you have it. I have all the latest releases i would not be suprised if i see it again soon.

Ive seen it in the past but never like this and that's why i say in the end the fault lay with

that person at celestial who at 2.30 am was half asleep and eating wong tong noodles

while remastering our favorite films.

40.jpg

42.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

210.jpg

213.jpg

214.jpg

215.jpg

16.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

Guest killer meteor

Could be poor film stock or an intentional effect. There's a Doctor Who story, The Web Planet, where they smeared vasoline on the camera lens to create an unusual effect

with some of the ones I've watched I've noticed that is something that is more around the edges. so around the rectangle in the top, bottom and sides. I always felt it was due to the restoration and whoever was doing it not doing it correctly.

Guest oldeschool17

ill post pics up if you really wanna see blurry. its on every IVL release due to the video conversions. Its even worse on action/motion shots

Guest tigerstyles

who cares, im just happy they have been remastered to a stage of sheer enjoyment, chillax man.. what you think this is 2007 hollywood bussiness!!??

Guest JustinB123

I've noticed this on several of the Celestial remasters, including older releases - not just the current ones. It always seems to be near the top of the frame. Celestial apparently has a very high-end system for remastering these films (do a Google search for some technical pages on the process). I think the blurriness on these releases might be a result of them relying too much on the remastering system's "automated" features and not doing a frame-by-frame restoration.

Also, some of their early releases were non-anamorphic (letterbox) transfers digitally converted to anamorphic, which results in the entire picture looking soft, but that is not the case here.

Guest THE BASTARD

RE: Just Chillax

Hm well i realize this seems like nothing to some people i think i would know it if i was knit-picking.

Ive seen a lot of Blurry Scenes, NOT frames Entire scenes out of focus etc before but ive never

seen it to the extent as on these 2 Movies. It's really sporadic because %90-95 of the film is just

fine but still it should have been called into focus. It's very noticable on my 36 inch maybe the

screencaps are very small and you cant tell but O well. Also i know on earlier releases this was

more common as far as the years go back for example Shadow Whip was terrible but then again

it's probably just the print they had to work with. There's a difference when the Entire film is

screwed and a few scenes.

I know what you guys mean by ''could be a special effect''. Im familiar with this by now i own a

lot of Shaw Brothers movies (200 or so), this is not the case. Lol, i know what you mean usually

if they ever do this it's during a dream sequence but in this case it's not. It's very blurry etc.

The only dreaming that was really done during the Sequence was by the people at Celestial.

They are great you know it etc. but really they should not have let such little things go and the

reason is because these film are only going to get re-mastered ONCE.

Guest THE BASTARD

Just so you see what i mean. Let me reiterate and point out how everyone is standing still in all

the scenes. The entire scenes were blurred out not just these frames.. You cant really C how bad

it is with the s-caps b4. Now maybe you will see, IDK...

61.jpg

52.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

35.jpg

Guest THESHAWMAN

THE BASTARD,

i agree with what you are saying, as i have noticed this many times on many celestial releases,which are brilliant aside from thes blured scenes,which are noticeable,and just slightly spoil your enjoyement of watching the movie at times........

overall, i personally love these remasters!and love watching them,but i feel that this re-occuring BLUR on some scenes is just down to the remastering....

Guest Markgway

I've noticed the blurring myself but put it down to the cinematography. If it's a side effect of the remastering then Celestial have screwed up.

Archived