Why was Michelle Yeoh known as Michelle Khan early in her career?

Omni Dragon

Question

Omni Dragon

Why was Michelle Yeoh known as Michelle Khan early in her career? I've also seen her credited as Michelle King, but still I assume that's one of those seemingly almost random changes for certain territories.

12 answers to this question

dionbrother

Atlas Distribution owner Dieter Menz coined the "Michelle Khan" moniker for releasing her movies in Euro territories. It was a simpler, catchier name that could be correctly pronounced the first time you say it.  That counts for a lot when you are marketing a star in the west.

• Like 1

Most likely a territory thing. I remember for example Yukari Oshima is known in the Philippines as 'Cynthia Luster' which makes no freaking sense whatsoever but might have been better for marketing. Might even have something to do with the past (WW2) and Japan's involvement. Who knows!?

One Armed Boxer

If I recall correctly Michelle Khan was a stage name selected for her by D&B Films, of whom she married the co-founder Dickson Poon (which, believe it or not, isn't a stage name!). Once they divorced and she returned to the film industry she went by Michelle Yeoh (with Yeoh being her surname at birth).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw

I heard it's because she was a big fan of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

the beach bum laughing GIF by NEON

ShawAngela

I discovered her as Michelle Khan when I first saw her in Magnificent Warriors on French TV many, many years ago.

Then, I discovered Cynthia Khan in In the Line of Duty, and I thought that there was a mistake somewhere! :bs_laughing:

Then, I read somewhere that Michelle had to change her actress' name precisely because Khan was already taken by Cynthia, and to avoid the confusion between the two, she decided to go on acting by using her real name Yeoh. 

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

If I recall correctly Michelle Khan was a stage name selected for her by D&B Films, of whom she married the co-founder Dickson Poon (which, believe it or not, isn't a stage name!). Once they divorced and she returned to the film industry she went by Michelle Yeoh (with Yeoh being her surname at birth).

It seems there was a bit of hangover with the Khan name as I saw an interview where she was referred to as "Michelle Khan" 4 years after the divorce when promoting the Dimension Films version of Supercop in 1996. Probably old information on the interviewers part.

6 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

46 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Then, I read somewhere that Michelle had to change her actress' name precisely because Khan was already taken by Cynthia, and to avoid the confusion between the two, she decided to go on acting by using her real name Yeoh. 

I've read Cynthia Khan (Yang Li-tsing) was named after Cynthia Rothrock and Michelle Khan (Yeoh). It makes sense as she became the lead for the In the Line of Duty series.

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

sifu iron perm
9 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Correct answer!!!

other answers mean diddly squat.

• Haha 3

Omni Dragon

The 'Michelle King' name seems to be what she was credited as in Japan. And I have to assume the 'Michelle Kheng' credit in Yes, Madam comes from her birth name Yeoh Choo Kheng.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
2 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

The 'Michelle King' name seems to be what she was credited as in Japan. And I have to assume the 'Michelle Kheng' credit in Yes, Madam comes from her birth name Yeoh Choo Kheng.

Yeah that's because at that time she hadn't seen Star Trek II and was a big fan of King Kong.............................

*OK now I'm just being silly!*

• Haha 1

Omni Dragon
On 4/5/2024 at 2:44 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

17 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Correct answer!!!

other answers mean diddly squat.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Yeah that's because at that time she hadn't seen Star Trek II and was a big fan of King Kong.............................

*OK now I'm just being silly!*

You're right Star Trek is serious but mentioning King Kong is just being silly.

• Haha 1

I find it interesting that both Khans--Michelle and Cynthia--had the same surname: 楊

Mandarin - Yang

Cantonese - Yeung

Hokkien - Yeoh

• Like 2
  • Love 1