Legendary Weapons of China / Challenge of the Masters & The Boxer from Shantung different versions/runtimes?

blackholesun85

blackholesun85

Hey there just wondered if someone could clarify the accurate runtimes of three Shaw Brothers films for me?
I've recently found two versions of the following films:

The Legendary weapons of china 1hr 40 mins 58 secs and 1hr 45 mins 22 secs

Challenge of the Masters 4k version 1hr 32 mins 44 secs and 1hr 37 mins 37 secs

The Boxer from Shantung 1hr 57 mins 38 secs and 2hrs 4 mins 13 secs

The difference between the runtime of each version of these films is roughly 5 minutes with the boxer from shantung differing by 7 minutes (I can't find any information online about a cut version of the boxer from shantung in it's orginal language only the international releases!)
Each film is in it's original Chinese language with English hardcoded subtitles so is the difference simply to do with the difference in PAL/NTSC/DVD/Blu ray runtimes or the infamous Celestial framecuts?
Any info here would be greatly appreciated? Thanks

• Like 2

ShawAngela

Almost 2h for Boxer from Shantung! I never realized that this movie was so long, since I never got bored watching it due to its greatness! :)

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
Posted (edited)

According to website schnittberichte.com, the Arrow restauration for BOXER FROM SHANTUNG is 4:50 minutes [plus Celestial logos] longer than the german Filmart bluray which is based on the Celestial master, they are mostly but not only framecuts.

https://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=75096

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 1