Y The Last Man (2021 - Cancelled) FX - DC Comics Adaptation

laagi

I vaguely remember watching the trailer for this shortly before it dropped and thinking heck this doesn't look half-bad. Somehow for whatever reason I never ended up watching it that is until now.

Pretty much universally panned by critics and the fan-base and having undergone numerous on and offs with directors and actors alike in its 12 years! of development hell this was probably bound to fail. Not to mention the timing of a show which deals with a global pandemic wiping out half the population wasn't that great. Remember COVID?!

Anyway, I pretty much binge-watched the 10 episodes and while I can agree that it has some issues, mainly the lack of focus on the main plot and protagonist I honestly enjoyed it for the most part. There are some characters that are insufferable at times especially Yorick's sister Hero (that's right) played by Olivia Thirlby (Dredd) and honestly to me she also gave the weakest performance of the entire cast.

The world building is also a bit lackluster which probably comes from certain budget restrains after the seamless never ending development. I wanted to see more of the empty cities, towns, shopping malls, airports etc. But the focus here is mainly on bits and pieces and hinting at the apocalyptic event with single shots of some corpses lying around.

I think this could've served as a good foundation to follow up with more seasons but unfortunately that was never meant to be. I liked how it portrayed the down-fall of society and hence segregation into different groups and what it can do to an individual's moral or ethic given the right circumstances.

This is obviously nothing new and there's countless shows, movies, games etc. that explore similar themes. Only hear all the men (except one) are dead so it's all female empowerment! I appreciate the fact they didn't go for some radical feminist message (although it is there) but rather a IMHO honest approach of what an event like this can do to society regardless of gender.

Overall if you're up for some post-apocalyptic content I can recommend 'Y The Last Man'. Oh and there's a CGI monkey in it as well.

ShaOW!linDude

My wife and I started watching this when it first came out. I think we got about 5 episodes in and then were just disappointed with it. It started off pretty strong in the first couple of episodes, but the male protagonist was such a wuss, we got bored. I get it at the outset, but it's like he would never man up. So he's not an athletic hero figure. That's fine. But all he did was snivel. Boring. My wife was actually more irritated by it than I was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

My wife and I started watching this when it first came out. I think we got about 5 episodes in and then were just disappointed with it. It started off pretty strong in the first couple of episodes, but the male protagonist was such a wuss, we got bored. I get it at the outset, but it's like he would never man up. So he's not an athletic hero figure. That's fine. But all he did was snivel. Boring. My wife was actually more irritated by it than I was.

Yeah I've seen that complaint a lot to be honest. However I can see some of these tendencies but honestly here it didn't bother me that much. Also for being the "main" protagonist we don't really get to spend a lot of time with him. Which was another complaint I've mentioned earlier.

The last 5 episodes dealt largely with sub-plots involving women led enclaves. There was one which also featured one of the more intriguing supporting characters 'Roxanne' as well as 'Nora'. They had some of the best on screen drama and really showed how humans can easily turn on each other.

Hard to sell the series to you I guess BUT if you got nothing else to watch I'd give it another shot at least for the once you missed.

• Like 1