Newb here......looking for name of old kung fu movie

98 SNAKE EATER

Question

98 SNAKE EATER

Back in the early 80's growing up in NY, we'd watch kung fu movies on channel 5's Drive in Movie every Saturday afternoon

One in particular has been stuck in my head, but I don't have a clue what the name of it is

Can't think of anyone famous in the cast and all I really remember is that the main guy had two or three big metal coins embedded in the skin of his chest

They were put there by his enemy years before and apparently the only one that could remove them was his enemy

He eventually removed them for him (after dying in a fight)

That's all I got

GO!!

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Don’t recall this film, but someone here will surely know. Always good to see another ‘80s New Yorker in the house.  WNEW Drive-In Movies were the best.  

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

Back in the early 80's growing up in NY, we'd watch kung fu movies on channel 5's Drive in Movie every Saturday afternoon

One in particular has been stuck in my head, but I don't have a clue what the name of it is

Can't think of anyone famous in the cast and all I really remember is that the main guy had two or three big metal coins embedded in the skin of his chest

They were put there by his enemy years before and apparently the only one that could remove them was his enemy

He eventually removed them for him (after dying in a fight)

That's all I got

GO!!

It's Jimmy Wang Yu's TIGER and CRANE FISTS also known as THE SAVAGE KILLER.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Killer Meteor
19 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

And later the basis for KUNG POW. I'm still annoyed they didn't put the original film on the DVD as an extra, as it looks like they had a nice scope print to use.

• Like 1

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I need to watch this one, I missed it in my collection!

• Like 2

98 SNAKE EATER
6 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Hmm, I don't think that's it.

I remember seeing it years ago (alongside Kung Pow), but don't recall the coin scenes in it.

Just the ending with the spikes in that one guy's chest.

By coins, I mean like these:

He had 2 or 3 of the stuck in his skin and could only be removed by his enemy that put them there.

My co-worker seems to think it's "King of Fists and Dollars", so I'm kinda skimming through it right now, but haven't spotted it yet.

China_coin1.jpeg

starschwar
6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I need to watch this one, I missed it in my collection!

I don't think there's a decent release of the movie out there.  There's a completely, utterly, not at all suspicious legitimate DVD release that will routinely remind you with a watermark that is an Ocean Shores VHS so you know it's on the up-and-up.

Why was the VHS source even watermarked?  Some sort of sample for video stores?

Anyway, it was the first thing I thought of but it doesn't perfectly match the topic creator's description, either.  Good luck sleuthing this one!

• Like 1

Shaolin Patriot
51 minutes ago, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

Hmm, I don't think that's it.

I remember seeing it years ago (alongside Kung Pow), but don't recall the coin scenes in it.

Just the ending with the spikes in that one guy's chest.

By coins, I mean like these:

He had 2 or 3 of the stuck in his skin and could only be removed by his enemy that put them there.

My co-worker seems to think it's "King of Fists and Dollars", so I'm kinda skimming through it right now, but haven't spotted it yet.

I don't think WNEW aired many non-SB films back in the day (I'm also a former NYC Drive In Movie disciple), particularly Tiger and Crane Fists and King of Fists and Dollars. I know this is a long-shot, but would you be thinking of Two Champions of Shaolin? There is the scene where Chin Siu-ho removes the poisonous needles from Lo Meng's body. In this case, only Chin Siu-ho (or members of the Wu-Tang clan) can remove the needles with a magnet. I know it's not coins, but it sounds like a similar theme.

Here is a scene from the film (spoiler warning for those who haven't seen it): 

98 SNAKE EATER
14 hours ago, Shaolin Patriot said:

I don't think WNEW aired many non-SB films back in the day (I'm also a former NYC Drive In Movie disciple), particularly Tiger and Crane Fists and King of Fists and Dollars. I know this is a long-shot, but would you be thinking of Two Champions of Shaolin? There is the scene where Chin Siu-ho removes the poisonous needles from Lo Meng's body. In this case, only Chin Siu-ho (or members of the Wu-Tang clan) can remove the needles with a magnet. I know it's not coins, but it sounds like a similar theme.

Here is a scene from the film (spoiler warning for those who haven't seen it): 

Hmm, that isn't it either.

Currently skimming through Twelve Deadly Coins (1969), but haven't spotted it yet