Moving (2023) Disney+ - Superhero K-Drama

laagi

Again my apologies if this already has its own topic. I did try to use the search function properly this time @SMK :tongueout

If it weren't for the fine folks over at cityonfire (once again) I would've completely missed out on this. Thank you @One Armed Boxer!

Now while this still seems to be a sleeper hit as of writing, it already garnered A LOT of praise. Some are even calling it the 'Squid Game' of 2023. Take that as you will.

I'm three episodes in and while I admit I wasn't won over immediately I'm really enjoying it now. This is largely due to the outstanding performances by our lead couple Jang Hui-Soo (Ko Yoon-Jung*) and Kim Bong-Seok (Lee Jeong-Ha). Which fun fact portray High School students despite them being well over their 20's.

*There's something for my favorite panda in it too ;) @PandaPawPaw

Also some pretty gruesome and gory moments added into the mix. I'm curious where they'll take this eventually. It's obviously a slow burner which I'm all for. 17 episodes left... Who else is watching?

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 11:57 PM, DarthKato said:

Looks like it might be fine. I'm just not up for supporting anything Disney right now if I can help it. 

I get that but now that Disney has discovered K-content there might be no way around it. 'The Worst of Evil' now this... I like what I'm seeing. Not like Netflix has been on a role with their content this year tbh.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, laagi said:

I get that but now that Disney has discovered K-content there might be no way around it. 'The Worst of Evil' now this... I like what I'm seeing. Not like Netflix has been on a role with their content this year tbh.

Would it be fair to say that Disney is getting very close to having a Monopoly in the entertainment industry? Just owning LucasFilm, Marvel Studios, and 20th Century Fox is insane. 

On 12/8/2023 at 3:05 AM, DarthKato said:

Would it be fair to say that Disney is getting very close to having a Monopoly in the entertainment industry? Just owning LucasFilm, Marvel Studios, and 20th Century Fox is insane. 

Yes and no. If they keep demolishing their properties I doubt they'll stay on top for much longer. I mean the numbers ain't lying and I can see it firsthand. This year has been total shite for the mouse company! 

Not to mention they almost single handedly destroyed the entire superhero gerne and Yes! the fatigue is very much real. Believe that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, laagi said:

Yes and no. If they keep demolishing their properties I doubt they'll stay on top for much longer. I mean the numbers ain't lying and I can see it firsthand. This year has been total shite for the mouse company! 

Not to mention they almost single handedly destroyed the entire superhero gerne and Yes! the fatigue is very much real. Believe that.

I'm hoping they fall so hard they won't have any other choice but to sale off some of these companies they bought up. There are so many properties that I love that I would like out of their hands (Star Wars being the biggest one). 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:51 PM, laagi said:

*There's something for my favorite panda in it too ;) @PandaPawPaw

I was going to do the whole 'what would that be @laagi' but it's no secret these days though some assistance would be nice in this particular case as I have no idea about this show. :D

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I was going to do the whole 'what would that be @laagi' but it's no secret these days though some assistance would be nice in this particular case as I have no idea about this show. :D

I'm here to assist you milord...

782c3bb8f4ac23fa4168a853a4e6e568.jpg

4eb3987f-8883-466b-8c29-0c9b3ff0b56f.jpg

• Love 1

Well I'll be damned! This took way longer than I anticipated and for whatever reason turned into quite the chore to actually finish the series.

But I'm glad to say I finally finished all 20! episodes of 'Moving'. And yes while it took me almost 3 months to get through it, I really enjoyed it for the most part. I guess it's just a personal unwillingness inherited in me to sit down and binge-watch 20 1hour (approx.) long episodes.

'Moving' certainly offers an incredible mix of family drama, love, coming of age, supernatural, war, politics and so on and so forth. I have to hand it to the production team to nail such a variety is no easy task but they did a great job here!

Also the series is prove that if you invest in actual character development it can make all the difference when it comes to captivating the audience. Here they do just that with each character getting their backstory so we actually get to CARE for them. Going as far as even giving time for minor characters or villains to get some fleshed out arc.

With this approach it's easily elevated above the usual "superhero" movie or series of today! Now I can see and I caught myself a few times as well hitting the sweet spot of exposition and just becoming tedious is a thin line. And while 'Moving' manages to walk that line fine for the most part there are instances where it tends to the aforementioned.

Another thing that bothered me sometimes and I'm sure @One Armed Boxer will probably confirm this. K-drama as literally in its name tends to crank up the melodrama up to 11. For the untrained viewer or even someone fairly familiar with it, that can be increasingly annoying to watch.

Last but not least I've seen A LOT of complaints for Bong-Seok and as per my first impression wasn't really bothered by him. But he does channel a certain style of acting that is reminiscent of a recent performance in 'Badland Hunters' by a young female supporting actress. I mean yeah... you probably gotta watch it yourself to really understand.

Overall I highly recommend 'Moving' for its unique mix alone and that's me not even getting into some of the brutal and well captured action. There is a tease at the end for a potential S02 and while S01 wrapped things up I'd probably be down for another one.

• Like 1