The AhNeeMay thread.

CrazyFrog

Ok, I see stickies for other categories and I know that some of you watch a lot of everything, including anime. While I am no anime junkie, I have seen enough to form an opinion (yea Internet!!) and so I'll get the ball rolling here-

(let's try to limit it to ten tops to keep it readable)

1. My Neighbor Totoro- Well, almost anything Miyazaki does is at least great but this one is really simple, bewitching, and sweet not to mention PERFECT for the kids (gotta 3 year old daughter, you know). It's deceptive on how perfect this movie is because it is slow and not very complex but it really embodies the magic you can feel as a kid sometimes.

2.Spirited Away- Ok, ok, another Miyazaki but so what? This movie is amazing on a lot of levels. The imagination in here could fill ten Hollywood movies and the artistry is superlative. A magical account of a girl's experiences in the spirit world that manages to be melancholy, frightening, optimistic and ecstatic. This movie made an indelible mark on my psyche.

3. Ninja Scroll- Well, I gotta have some dirrrrty action in here! Ninja Scroll is one of the better (if not the best) hyper-violent animes I've seen. Creepy, slick, and compelling, it also has some quality artistry going on here and a fascinating rogues gallery.

4. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust- Yes, the original was kind of a landmark but this one was done much better, IMO. Bloody, trippy and a pretty solid story elevates the tale of D, vampire hunter extraordinaire, above countless other horror/action anime.

5. Akira- Wow. A great post-apocalyptic sci-fi masterpiece. A must-see kind of film, if you like sci-fi at all.

6. Hellsing- This is a series (actually, two series) based on a popular manga but I included it because, well, it's just f*&@ing cool. It may not be the best thing ever but I never get tired of seeing Alucard going off on everybody. Very psychedelic and yet classy, in an odd way. But the Alucard thing drives me a little nuts- c'mon, nobody is fooled! Come up with an original name!

These are just some of my favorites (I like most of Miyazaki's work and have seen snippets of many series, including Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc). There are some I've seen and admired for some aspect (like Appleseed looks awesome) but didn't quite do it for me for some reason or another (Appleseed is pretty cliched).

How about you all?

DeathFuMaster

Some that I like:

Dragon Ball (Z, GT)

Outlaw Star

Gundam(pretty much all of them)

Helling (and Ultimate)

Trinity Blood

Robotech(macross)

Megazone 23

Gantz

Trigun

Gungrave

Akira

Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Gun

Berserk

And many many more....

I never got into animes excluding old Donald Ducks:nerd:

Tried ninja scroll,fist of northstar and akira...but just not my thing:squigglemouth:

Have you tried watching one of Miyazaki's films (Naussica, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, etc)? They are geared for a wider audience but are not dumbed down at all. Plus, they're just great examples of amazing animation.

As you can tell from my avatar, for me it's Hokuto No Ken aka Fist Of The North Star all the way. For those who haven't seen it, imagine Mad Max 2 starring Bruce Lee with the OTT violence of Story Of Ricky. Plus its story of brotherly conflict is by turns epic and tragic. Other faves include Galaxy Express 999, Captain Harlock, Space Battleship Yamato, all Miyazaki's and Record Of Loddoss War.

• Like 1

Macross Plus - probably my favorite anime ever. The two-part version though, not the edited movie.

Cowboy Bebop

Hajime no Ippo

Akira

Ninja Scroll

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Most of Studio Ghibli's output

Millennium Actress, Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers

You're Under Arrest

Slayers

Dirty Pair

Lodoss

EVA

Patlabor

Zone of Enders

Yawara

Trigun

Giant Robo

Big O

Cowboy Bebop

Interstellar 555

Dokkoida!?

El Hazard (original OVA)

Escflowne

Hyper Police

Ouran High School

Phantom Quest Corp

Azumanga Daioh

REVENGE OF THE NINJA WARRIOR aka DAGGER OF KAMUI

NINJA SCROLL

PRINCESS MONONOKE

SWORD FOR TRUTH

BLACK LION

WRATH OF THE NINJA:THE YOTODEN MOVIE

SAMURAI X(RUROUNI KENSHIN OVA)

RED HAWK(Korean period-piece OVA)

Gundam (all except Wing, G, and Seed Destiny)

Macross (all)

Evangelion

Full Metal Panic

Escaflowne

Akira

Gaogaigar

Godannar

Nadesico

Rahxephon

Gurren Lagann

Code Geass

Scrapped Princess

Those Who Hunt Elves

Gravion & Zwei

KO Seiki Beast Sanjuushi

Dai-Guard

Armored Trooper Votoms

Ah, Paprika! Thanks TDB, for reminding me about that one. It's pretty good as well;in fact, it's top notch.

yeah - Paprika is excellent. Awesome soundtrack by that mad scientist Susumu Hirasawa as well.

1.ninja scroll

2 vampire hunter D

3.gatchaman aka battle of the planets

4.leo the lion aka kimba the white lion season 2

5.tranzer Z

6.dragonball z

7.fist of the north star

8.mobile suit gundam

9. outlaw star

10.princess mononoke

My collection is somewhere north of 100 series, plus another 40 or so movies. If my house burned, the first few series I'd replace are:

Hikaru no Go - Probably my highest favorite, I got into playing Go because of it.

Beck - Slice of life about high school kids trying to make a go of playing in a band.

FLCL - Screwball sci-fi comedy, turned up way past 11.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Starts out with giant robots, then puts the psychological screws to the characters.

Followed very shortly thereafter by:

Full Metal Panic - Remember Tackleberry from Police Academy? Souske makes him look perfectly sane. Don't miss the sequel (?) Fumoffo series.

Grave of the Fireflies - WWII from a child's eye view. Very sad ending.

Big Windup - Makes baseball seem fascinating to the non-fan.

Ghost Hound - Um... what did I just watch?

Genshiken - Slice of life among otakus.

His and Hers Circumstances - High School romance done very, very well.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - A parody inside a spoof wrapped in a cuckoo clock.

Mushi-Shi - Adventures of a traveling spirit doctor.

Now and Then, Here and There - Plan something happy to do after watching this.

Info on any of these titles can be found at the Encyclopedia at AnimeNewsNetwork.

I tend towards hard sci-fi and screwball comedy, but there's some of everything on my shelves.

Guest WuxiaFan

SAMURAI CHAMPLOO

I started watching it on adult swim on the Cartoon Network a couple of years ago and was immediately hooked. Then last year when they released the entire series, I bought it the day it came out! Its an absolutely awesome series with plenty of swordplay action, an excellent script, a superb theme song, and great characters. Highly recommend it!

:15_002:

I think my all time favorite is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have alot of memories and stories that Im too tired to share. Needless to say I never thought the endings were confusing and it all made perfect sense.

I too have seen hundreds of anime, no joke. I have so many favorites that its hard to say.

Movies

Howl's moving castle

Spirited Away

Metropolis

Paprika

Series

Paranoia Agent

Cowboy Bebop

Fullmetal Alchemist

Now and Then, Here and There

Ninja Scroll

Sword of a Stranger

Basilisk series

Samurai X

Afro Samurai

I only love high bloody action anime....... not that many out there sadly.

Dragon Ball, DBZ, DBGT

Baki The Grappler

Berserk

Hokuto No Ken

Ninja Scroll

Sword of the Stranger

Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal

Princess Mononoke

Red Hawk

Spriggan

Ghost in the Shell

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Street Fighter II

Street Fighter Alpha

Street Fighter Alpha: Generations

Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf

Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture

froffeecoffee

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Macross Plus

Macross 7

Macross Zero

Macross Frontier

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman

Mach Go Go Go (U.S. title: Speed Racer)

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Galaxy Express 999

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Mobile Suit Gundam

Dragonball

Cowboy Bebop

Grave of the Fireflies

Metropolis

Escaflowne

You know, I see more than a few people list Grave of the Fireflies on their list. And I totally understand, because it is a masterpiece of animation and story. But holy s$&@, that movie is one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. And somehow, I talked my wife into watching it with me one night and she turned to me after it was over, and through her tears: "I can't believe I just watched that. That was horrible." (meaning it was too much for her; she is sensitive to emotional scenes in movies). I'm not sure if I even like it, because I would never see it again and it is not an enjoyable experience per se, but i was riveted by it.

On to a lighter subject- what does everyone think is the best mecha anime (movie and/or series)? I don't know if I have a lot of time to invest in years of episodes that some shows seem to have (like Gundam). Are there any standalone movies that are good?

On to a lighter subject- what does everyone think is the best mecha anime (movie and/or series)? I don't know if I have a lot of time to invest in years of episodes that some shows seem to have (like Gundam). Are there any standalone movies that are good?

There's quite a few Gundam movies, but I'm not familiar with them.

Gunbuster (Gainax) is considered a important early mecha anime. It's an OVA rather than a movie (six half hour episodes), though.

Then there's the Patlabor movies, Patlabor - The Movie, Patlabor 2 - The Movie, Patlabor WXIII - The Movie.

There's also Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Another short series (12 episodes) to consider is Dokkoida?!. It's not your typical mecha anime, though. Some might say it's not even a mecha anime, but what's the difference between a mecha and a power suit?

Check out Roujin Z, too.

Some of the Gundam movies are actually recaps of a TV series, so you'd be watching a 13 hour story chopped down to 2 hours if you go with the movie instead of the series. Some of the movies work better than others.

Gundam is kind of big and confusing, mostly because although there's lots of series with Gundam in the title, they don't all take place within the same timeline, there's at least three different story universes in play. I don't fully understand all the ins and outs myself, but there's plenty of talk about it over at www.animenewsnetwork.com, just search the forum, encyclopedia, and reviews. I don't think any of the Gundam series went longer than two seasons (52 episodes), so you aren't locked into watching hundreds of episodes to complete a storyline.

The original 1979 series was Mobile Suit: Gundam, and it has held up fairly well over the years - this series started the modern trend of favoring politics and psychology over the derring-do of Tetsujin 28-type robot stories. Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket is a six episode side story that might be a good starting point, focusing on a young boy who meets up with and befriends some enemy saboteurs. Gundam Wing had some popularity in the US a few years back, but is intended more to appeal to teens, and has what I consider some basic set-up plot problems.

'Best' mecha is a loaded question, it depends on what you like to see in a mecha series. One of my favorites is Gasaraki, because it treats mecha the most realistically, with the techno-babble being all about hydraulic pressures and sand entering knee joints, but the plot is extremely dense with politics. Gundam shows tend to take the mecha for granted, and give the viewer an endless supply of new models to gaze at. Evangelion was first and perhaps best at running the pilots through the emotional wringer, Full Metal Panic and FLCL have the best comedy, Escaflowne has the most fantasy/romance elements, Robotech had the most popularity in the States, Castle in the Sky has the most sympathetic robots, etc....

I'm not very heavily into mecha shows, but if you have a specific type you're looking for, I might be able to shoot some more suggestions to you. Probably the one category I can't help you with is 'best fights' since that's usually not what I'm watching for.

Found Nagisa's distillation of the Gundam Series, originally posted at ANN a few years back....

Ok, the world of Gundam anime is a complicated matter. There are several universes with their own continuities.

The main storyline takes place in UC (Universal Century) universe. As mentioned in the column, the first show is Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, which is available in US in 2 forms, a dub only series and sub only movie trilogy (a compilation of the entire series into 3 movies). The UC timeline goes something like this:

0079 Mobile Suit Gundam (TV 1979, Movies 1981-82)

0079 Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team (OVA 1996)

0080 Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVA 1989)

0083 Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Startdust Memory (OVA 1991)

0086 Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (TV 1985)

0088 Mobile Suit Gundam Double-Zeta (TV 1986)

0093 Chars Counterattack (Movie 1988)

0123 Mobile Suit Gundam Formula-91 (Movie 1991)

0153 Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (TV 1993)

You can watch these in pretty much any order, but I'd recommend watching 0079 in either series or movie format first. It lays a lot of groundwork for the universe.

The alternate universes are as following (and these have no connection with original series or between one another)

FC (Future Century): Mobile Fighter G-Gundam (TV 1994)

AC (After Colony): New Mobile Report Gundam Wing (TV 1995, OVA 1997)

AW (After War): New Mobile Century Gundam X (TV 1996)

CC (Correct Century): Turn A Gundam (TV 1999)

CE (Cosmic Era): Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (TV 2002)

There's been a couple more series released since then, I think.