Bursting Point - Dir. Dante Lam + Calvin Tong [2023] (Hong Kong)

Yihetuan

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3243916/bursting-point-movie-review-dante-lams-first-hong-kong-crime-thriller-years-starring-nick-cheung?fbclid=IwAR3xwvUS7SASTHPbPthKIrA7LLZ1Tg4KXdDPlnMgf-uVyhEXrKeO6ZEoCVY

This is enough for me.

Lam has always displayed a readiness to depict the sickening reality of death in his films – even in a jingoistic production like his 2018 military epic Operation Red Sea. This sort of thing is glossed over in the name of entertainment in most trigger-happy action thrillers.

Bursting Point does not have a convincing enough story at its core to transform it into a cathartic experience, but the film is so determined in making every casualty count that it may well inspire a strange admiration in the viewers who do not look away.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 1:45 PM, DiP said:

Let's see if Lam still has it.

The short answer is unfortunately NO.

Man, I've been so excited to watch this ever since the first trailer dropped. Finally some good old fashioned HK Action!

Overall 'Bursting Point' turns out to be pretty average. This is largely due to a convoluted story that seemingly jumps back and forth. So much so that I often found myself wondering what exactly was going on and moreover Why!?

On paper this is a pretty simple police undercover story. Unfortunately it adds a lot of unnecessary sub-plots mostly involving family drama. At least they do get some sort of pay-off towards the end but to get there is sometimes hard to watch.

As for the action it's OK that's pretty much how'd I sum it up. Thankfully the finale does make up for some of the average stuff beforehand. But for some might be too little too late.

Spoiler

One thing I'll say it's pretty violent at times not crazy but it's been a while since I saw a child get stabbed on screen :yociexp100:

I would've loved to see more from Ming (William Chan) as to me he was one of the more interesting characters. Also probably gave the best performance overall.

Nick Cheung does his part but I noticed that his action scenes especially the hand to hand stuff, which he almost gets to do exclusively, is heavily edited. That's painfully obvious when we see others throw down for once.

Fun fact you can tell that production sometimes just filmed publicly in the streets of Hong Kong. As some of the bystanders are looking straight into the camera. Reminiscent of the good old times I guess.

Once everything is said and done 'Bursting Point' surely isn't a terrible movie but somehow I also can't say it's all that good either.

And last but not least I have to agree with my brother here @Drunken Monk definitely not deserving of an "Award for Best Action Choreography". Although I do admit I've really enjoyed the last and biggest action set piece!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I enjoyed this a bit more than @laagi and I say that not exactly being the biggest fan of Nick Cheung but this might be his best overall work since Demon Within more than a decade ago. Yes, nothing particularly innovative or noteworthy about the plot as it's another Infernal Affairs meets City on Fire with the requisite fraternal bonding, multiple betrayals & choice between duty and conscience. The plot and story line generally kept my attention throughout & while I can understand @laagi's point about the "unnecessary sub-plots involving  family drama" -- the meaning of "family" (not just the conventional definition involving bloodline) was a central theme of this entire film but it could've been better scripted with a bit more nuance.

This film falls back on predictable tropes like Nick Cheung as the gritty police inspector who has sacrificed his marriage for his career & his son has become a delinquent as a result, Isabella Leong (she would make the perfect Aung San Suu Kyi in a bio pic) who is in a similar situation with her rebellious daughter due to being a drug trafficker, the sacrifices that the mole, William Chan has endured with his "family" of police officers to see his deep cover operation to the end & main villain drug dealer Shaun Tam and his twisted concept of "family" too which came back full circle at the end.

I also felt the pacing could've been better and the 2 hour run time definitely felt a half hour too long. The action while bloody and violent appeared a bit too repetitive at times but there were some entertaining moments especially one particular set piece involving Cheung's unit trapped in a fiery drug lab. What's up with the makeup department and Philip Keung's eyeliner?! That was a horrible look on an actor who is nearing 60 yrs old. But overall, I give this film a slightly favorable recommendation based on the strong performance by Nick Cheung, the bloody action & the finale which was one of the most emotionally gut wrenching in recent memory.

Spoiler

Nick Cheung breaking down next to his son's charred remains was brutal!

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

The action while bloody and violent appeared a bit too repetitive at times but there were some entertaining moments especially one particular set piece involving Cheung's unit trapped in a fiery drug lab.

Speaking of which that one took place in a mall which I could've sworn was the same one as used in 'Raging Fire'. Which I was reminded of more than just once for some reason whatsoever.

10 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

What's up with the makeup department and Philip Keung's eyeliner?!

Not to mention on how the teenage delinquents dressed. I mean that was some funny sh*t :laugh

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, laagi said:

Speaking of which that one took place in a mall which I could've sworn was the same one as used in 'Raging Fire'. Which I was reminded of more than just once for some reason whatsoever.

Not to mention on how the teenage delinquents dressed. I mean that was some funny sh*t :laugh

I agree. I thought for a sec I was watching a Young and Dangerous spin-off. I mean no one can take those delinquents seriously as dangerous after seeing them in that get up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought the movie was so-so. Action was sprinkled throughout but was average at best, except for a few bits.

I didn't think it was too violent,  - recent Indonesian output is much more bloody and violent.

Spoiler

Burning of Nick Cheung's character's son reminded me of Run and Kill, so, there's nothing new here. Stabbing of that girl was a bit too much, though

Still I liked the whole HK shtick with triads, undercover cops, loyalty and betrayal - the usual package. I never get tired of it, to be honest

• Like 1

Yihetuan
On 3/11/2024 at 1:13 PM, D1 Ma said:

I thought the movie was so-so. Action was sprinkled throughout but was average at best, except for a few bits.

I didn't think it was too violent,  - recent Indonesian output is much more bloody and violent.

Spoiler

Burning of Nick Cheung's character's son reminded me of Run and Kill, so, there's nothing new here. Stabbing of that girl was a bit too much, though

Still I liked the whole HK shtick with triads, undercover cops, loyalty and betrayal - the usual package. I never get tired of it, to be honest

I disagree about the Run and Kill comparison.

Spoiler

That scene was partly played for comedy with the daughter's head being inadvertently knocked off while the Nick Cheung scene was played for pathos.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 2/11/2024 at 8:33 AM, laagi said:

This is largely due to a convoluted story that seemingly jumps back and forth. So much so that I often found myself wondering what exactly was going on and moreover Why!?

On paper this is a pretty simple police undercover story. Unfortunately it adds a lot of unnecessary sub-plots mostly involving family drama. At least they do get some sort of pay-off towards the end but to get there is sometimes hard to watch.

On 2/11/2024 at 4:57 PM, Yihetuan said:

I also felt the pacing could've been better and the 2 hour run time definitely felt a half hour too long.

I recently got through watching this one and tend to agree with you guys. For the sheer joy of seeing an uncompromising crime thriller filmed on the streets of HK I still enjoyed it, but I doubt those who don't have any nostalgia for HK cinema of yesteryear would be so forgiving. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/bursting-point-2023-review-calvin-tong-dante-lam-nick-cheung/

• Like 2

Yihetuan
On 5/6/2024 at 12:12 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through watching this one and tend to agree with you guys. For the sheer joy of seeing an uncompromising crime thriller filmed on the streets of HK I still enjoyed it, but I doubt those who don't have any nostalgia for HK cinema of yesteryear would be so forgiving. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/bursting-point-2023-review-calvin-tong-dante-lam-nick-cheung/

Nice review. The 6.5 rating is just about right. yeah, it would've been nice if the retro throwback vibe also extended to the soundtrack.

• Like 1