Martial Arts Movies Almanac - a Fanzine

DrNgor

I started a fanzine called "The Martial Arts Movies Almanac."

It's a collection of write-ups and essays about martial arts films, going year-by-year starting with 1970 (the year The Chinese Boxer came out). It features contributions by @KyFi and @Michael L., plus wuxia writer J.F. Lee and fellow fanzine editor David McRobie.

Available in Kindle and paperback editions:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHL1CF8W/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= 

Cover_Issue_1.jpg

• Like 8

A nice fellow named Charles Floyd Rhodes left some reviews of each issue:

Issue #1 - 1970

This is the first of a series that covers martial arts movies in a year by year basis.

Each entry has a minimum of story info, the emphasis is more on historical context, styles of combat, franchise histories, etc.

To give an idea, the entry for The Chinese Boxer starts with a paragraph on the plot which includes how the hero trains in the Iron Palm technique to make his hands as strong as steel to go against those who use karate, and the authors may remark in some entries on how authentic the styles are portrayed.

In the entry for Shochiku's Crimson Bat Oichi : Wanted Dead or Alive, part of a franchise, it is compared to Daiei's Zatoichi series, and there is an entry for Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival.

I like how some of the entries give info on the historical settings of the movies when known, and speculations on such when not known.

The most obscure movies covered is Swordsman with an Umbrella, which BCI Eclipse released as part of a 10 movie DVD set.

Only one movie made in 1970 that is not in color that is in this issue that is not in color is Wong Fei-Hung Bravely Crosses the Fire Formation, which is the 75th in a series that started with The Story of Wong Fei-Hung (1949), That is more movies than in Toho's Godzilla series and in Eon's James Bond series.

This ends with briefer entries for 4 wuxia made in Taiwan.

While only 12 movies are covered, they are covered very well, and most of the pics for the color features are in color, which are in the form of poster art, box art, publicity photos, screen grabs, etc. Even Swordsman with an Umbrella has a generous selection of color pics.

Issue #2 - 1971

This issue has an emphasis on what is known as the basher style that was fashionable after the box office success of The Chinese Boxer in 1970 even more so when The Big Boss with Bruce Lee broke box office records in Hong Kong. Select wuxia features are also covered in this issue, examples of which are Duel for Gold, The Invincible Sword, The Patriotic Heroine, and A Touch of Zen. Only one samurai movie has an entry.

In fact, the first entry in this issue, Duel of Karate, copycats the basic plot of The Chinese Boxer, with the hero engaging in Iron Palm training to go up against karate masters.

Another style of martial arts combat that is utilized in a few of the movies covered is Muay Thai, which is also known as Thai boxing, which is featured in Rage of the Master, Duel of Fists and The Big Boss, with commentary on whether or not the portrayals of this style of fighting is accurate.

The format for each review is to give a minimum of story info, the emphasis is on things such as historical context, historical settings such as the Yuan Dynasty and the Yuan Dynasty, how the dubbing scripts can alter names enough to make a viewer think that a movie is set in a different time period than it really is, alternate cuts, etc.

The one USA movie to get an entry is Billy Jack, and the guest reviewer not only covers a little on Tom Laughlin and how the movie got made and how it got distributed but why it had such an impact on him despite his thoughts on what he sees as it's flaws. The style used in the movie is Hapkido, most of which is done by a stand-in for Tom Laughlin.

The final section has 4 shorter entries for wuxia that were made in Taiwan.

The pics are mostly in color, they are of screen grabs, poster art, box art, publicity photos, and the like.

This has more entries than the 1970 issue, and one by one, the chronological guides are adding up to a first rate book, only it is published in installments.

Issue #3 - 1972

This issue continues to emphasize the "basher" style with some wuxia coverage and a whole chapter on Kazuo Koike with an emphasis on Lone Wolf and Cub and Hanzo the Razor.

The best known movies covered in this issue are Five Fingers of Death, Fist of Fury aka The Chinese Connection, and one of two adaptations of Tales from the Water Margin, Seven Blows of the Dragon, which got imported soon after Bruce Lee became a box office star in the USA. In the entry for Five Fingers of Death, included is a lengthy quote on why it got imported and why it was a pop success in the USA, specifically most movie goers did not need to know a lot about Asian history and culture to understand it.
And, yes, there is an article on Tales from the Water Margin to give a novice reader background for the entries for Seven Blows of the Dragon and The Delightful Forest.

There is examination on the styles of both Angela Mao Ying and Bruce Lee, and in the case of the latter a case is made for how his jeet kune do style is superior to that of Chuck Norris and how he changed his style before the two met, despite what the latter has claimed in his books, and how their showdown in Way of the Dragon proved to be influential for many years.

One appendix covers 94 movies, titles only with select alternates, that do not have entries, the second covers box office grosses, the two Bruce Lee movies covered in this issue are at the top of the list.

DrNgor
DrNgor

Issue #6 - 1975 - is well under way and should be done by the end of the month.

Re: The following issue - There are a lot of classic kung fu movies from 1976, especially from the Shaw Brothers. Which ones do you all think I should cover for Issue #7 of my fanzine?

legendarycurry
16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Issue #6 - 1975 - is well under way and should be done by the end of the month.

Re: The following issue - There are a lot of classic kung fu movies from 1976, especially from the Shaw Brothers. Which ones do you all think I should cover for Issue #7 of my fanzine?

I would suggest: Challenge of The Masters, Hand of Death,

• Like 1

DrNgor
1 hour ago, legendarycurry said:

I would suggest: Challenge of The Masters, Hand of Death,

I have a short review of the former and an old--from 2004--review of the latter that I can flesh out and update, respectively. Thanks!

• Like 1

DrNgor

@Karlos - Did you post and then delete? I already took note of your suggestions.

• Like 1