City Hunter (2024) - Ryohei Suzuki

AlbertV

netflix-plans-live-action-city-hunter-film.jpg

After film adaptations France (Nicky Larson), and of course, Jackie Chan's Hong Kong version in 1992, Japan is finally having their own live-action adaptation film version of the Shonen Jump title City Hunter. A 2011 Korean TV series version was released. 

Gatchaman and Tokyo Tribe's Ryohei Suzuki will play Ryo Saeba, who is modern-day Shinjuku, seeks to find out who killed his partner Murakami with the help of his late partner's sister Kaori. Yuichi Sato is directing the film from a script by Tatsuro Mishima with the film going to Netflix. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/netflix-film-adaptation-manga-city-hunter-1235281709/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 2

PandaPawPaw

I hope it uses this theme. Awesome tune!

I still need to watch the French version of City Hunter.

• Like 2

Netflix Reveals Additional Cast For ‘City Hunter’.

S99_CHJB9327_Misato_Morita_0129.jpg?w=20

Kaori Makimura will be played by Misato Morita.

Her casting is not bad. Maybe she could do with slightly shorter hair.

I can't wait for this!

Also City Hunter The Movie: Angel Dust Anime just came out in Japanese cinemas so there's that to look forward too!

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

The theme Get Wild is in there too! Looks like great fun!

And here I am reviewing another Netflix gem... what am I doing lol!?

Anyway, bear with me I've never watched the anime and I have yet to watch the JC adaptation from the 90's. Whether that's a good thing or not I'll leave that up to you.

Whenever a piece of entertainment starts out with major cleavage I'm usually not one to complain.

Fast forward 100 minutes add more boobies, juvenile "Mokkori*" jokes, some decent action and a story as well as some supporting characters I couldn't care less about. That pretty much sums up Netflix's 'City Hunter'.

I did enjoy the performance from our lead Ryohei Suzuki he brought the right mix to the role to switch back and forth between silliness and seriousness. I admit he gave me some good laughs and he delivered some good action scenes. My favorite being a rather long one-vs-one at a cosplay convention.

Unfortunately one of the more interesting supporting characters bites the dust way too soon. So we are left with a more miss than hit Kaori played by Misato Morita. I'd go as far as saying she was borderline annoying.

Even the beauty of Fumino Kimuro is pretty much wasted in a role that adds little to nothing to an already bare-bone story that we've honestly seen, read or played (Umbrella Corps, anyone?) at least a hundred times by now. I won't waste time going into any more details here.

While the mix of action and (dick) jokes works pretty well at the beginning about half-way through the movie just starts to fall flat. Not to mention a poor and lackluster finale with a villain? that's barely worth mentioning doesn't help either.

It's clear the producers where aiming for cartoonish over the top action and silliness and while there's glimpses of it working especially in the first half overall it just doesn't come to a satisfying conclusion let a lone viewing experience.

It's an OK forgettable watch with some decent action and good laughs here and there. That's about it.

Special mention to Asuka Hanamura as Kurumi not only is she a "Mokkori babe" lol but she also gave the best performance of the supporting cast IMHO.

*You're welcome https://www.nihongomaster.com/japanese/dictionary/word/1160/mokkori-もっこり

s-l1600.jpg

• Haha 1

From wikipedia...

City Hunter (jap. シティーハンター shitī hantā)

pen tuong lu kim GIF by South Park

• Haha 1

PandaPawPaw
2 hours ago, laagi said:

And here I am reviewing another Netflix gem... what am I doing lol!?

Anyway, bear with me I've never watched the anime and I have yet to watch the JC adaptation from the 90's. Whether that's a good thing or not I'll leave that up to you.

Whenever a piece of entertainment starts out with major cleavage I'm usually not one to complain.

Fast forward 100 minutes add more boobies, juvenile "Mokkori*" jokes, some decent action and a story as well as some supporting characters I couldn't care less about. That pretty much sums up Netflix's 'City Hunter'.

I did enjoy the performance from our lead Ryohei Suzuki he brought the right mix to the role to switch back and forth between silliness and seriousness. I admit he gave me some good laughs and he delivered some good action scenes. My favorite being a rather long one-vs-one at a cosplay convention.

Unfortunately one of the more interesting supporting characters bites the dust way too soon. So we are left with a more miss than hit Kaori played by Misato Morita. I'd go as far as saying she was borderline annoying.

Even the beauty of Fumino Kimuro is pretty much wasted in a role that adds little to nothing to an already bare-bone story that we've honestly seen, read or played (Umbrella Corps, anyone?) at least a hundred times by now. I won't waste time going into any more details here.

While the mix of action and (dick) jokes works pretty well at the beginning about half-way through the movie just starts to fall flat. Not to mention a poor and lackluster finale with a villain? that's barely worth mentioning doesn't help either.

It's clear the producers where aiming for cartoonish over the top action and silliness and while there's glimpses of it working especially in the first half overall it just doesn't come to a satisfying conclusion let a lone viewing experience.

It's an OK forgettable watch with some decent action and good laughs here and there. That's about it.

Special mention to Asuka Hanamura as Kurumi not only is she a "Mokkori babe" lol but she also gave the best performance of the supporting cast IMHO.

*You're welcome https://www.nihongomaster.com/japanese/dictionary/word/1160/mokkori-もっこり

s-l1600.jpg

*Secretary cancel all my meetings! I'mma be a busy Panda!*

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i7vstd6brl1xfdr8usg

• Haha 1

Just now, PandaPawPaw said:

*Secretary cancel all my meetings! I'mma be a busy Panda!*

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i7vstd6brl1xfdr8usg

city-hunter-nicky-larson.gif

• Haha 1

PandaPawPaw
1 minute ago, laagi said:

city-hunter-nicky-larson.gif

Are you familiar with the City Hunter anime @laagi?

Looking to watch it at the weekend. So hor...................excited to watch it.

Just now, PandaPawPaw said:

Are you familiar with the City Hunter anime @laagi?

Zero... but I've seen it's huge (pun intended) spanning several TV series and movies. I might try checking out some of the movies at one point.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
23 minutes ago, laagi said:

Zero... but I've seen it's huge (pun intended) spanning several TV series and movies. I might try checking out some of the movies at one point.

I'm surprised you watched it as you didn't sound so keen on it being a NF flick.

Oh and yeah Fumino Kimuro (who I first saw in The Grudge NF show) is cute as heck!

45b56590f9c1cfc61e29b7155b0a8a.jpg

tumblr_me7ev52HSo1rq3upjo1_1280.jpg

Drunken Monk

City Hunter is uneven and delivers a wafer thin plot but that's where my negativity ends. This is one of my favourite films of 2024. Probably because it was made by people like me in mind.

It's a raucous, raunchy, hilarious, outrageously entertaining action adventure that brings high doses of silly comedy and phenomenal action. Yes, there's about twenty minutes where it sags but that's a minor quibble. This is the first film I've laughed out loud at in quite some time (the "horse" dart dodge had me in stitches).

Ryohei Suzuki was seemingly born to play Ryo Saeba. I'm not famliar with the Manga or Anime but he steps into the role dick first and gives it all he's worth. He's fucking hilarious. He kicks some serious arse too. Yes, the action is very Anime-like. A nonstop slew of enemies that can't touch Saeba. But that's what it's supposed to be. This is outlandish nonsense and I'll be damned if it isn't the perfect movie to end the week with.

I'll admit, I did have to look up "Mokkori" since it's so frequently used and I didn't have a clue. For those wondering, "Mokkori" refers to the tent-like bulge in one's pants when he gets a raging erection. You might be able to work out what "Mokkori girls" are. And no, they ae not the Japanese version of Thailand's infamous (and politically incorrect) "lady boys." Quite the opposite it would seem.

This film is bloody great. I can only hope most people enjoy it as much as I do.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
9 hours ago, laagi said:

Every-time @Drunken Monk posts a positive review of a movie I didn't enjoy half as much. Love you bro!

Captain America Hang Head GIF

At least we both liked Shogun! But hey, if we all had the same opinions, these boards would be pretty dull.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

At least we both liked Shogun! But hey, if we all had the same opinions, these boards would be pretty dull.

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad