The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

nahnahnah

VS-467_slip_mockup_front_preorder_2646x.

Region A Blu-ray
Newly restored by Vinegar Syndrome from existing 2k studio masters
Includes both the 88-minute Hong Kong theatrical version in Cantonese with English translated subtitles and the 90-minute English language export version
Brand new commentary track with martial arts film historian Frank Djeng for the Hong Kong version
No Mediocre Action (14 min) - an interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock
Playing the Villain (21 min) - an interview with actor Vincent Lyn
Cantonese theatrical trailer
English trailer
Image gallery
Reversible sleeve artwork
English SDH subtitles

• Like 3

Yihetuan

One of my favorite teen films of all time, Shunji Iwai's All About Lily Chou-chou is getting a Blu ray release from VS partner label, Film Movement. This has already been put out by FM several years ago, no mention of any new scan or new master, so not sure if it's worth the upgrade other than the slipcover design.

Screenshot_20240401-120617.png

Screenshot_20240401-120709.png

• Like 4

lilmanjs

The China O'Brien set has this now attached to the listing. Notice: due to low bitrate & image quality concerns regarding fitting both feature films on a single UHD100 disc, we have decided to upgrade this set to two UHD66 discs (one film per disc). Which means this is now a 4-disc set (2x UHD66 and 2x BD50).

• Like 1

ShawAngela
15 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

VS-467_slip_mockup_front_preorder_2646x.

Region A Blu-ray
Newly restored by Vinegar Syndrome from existing 2k studio masters
Includes both the 88-minute Hong Kong theatrical version in Cantonese with English translated subtitles and the 90-minute English language export version
Brand new commentary track with martial arts film historian Frank Djeng for the Hong Kong version
No Mediocre Action (14 min) - an interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock
Playing the Villain (21 min) - an interview with actor Vincent Lyn
Cantonese theatrical trailer
English trailer
Image gallery
Reversible sleeve artwork
English SDH subtitles

Is there any difference between this release and the previous one from... I don't remember who,in terms of bonuses? I'm at work, I can't browse the other threads...

Same players are involved in the extras but even if they recorded and shot exclusively for VS, I am guessing same information will be delivered. It doesn't have the short Mang Hoi interview though.

I wouldn't double dip personally, I have the Eureka plus the film is pretty awful outside of the terrific notion of giving a Westerner a lead role in a Hong Kong film.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If my memory is correct, because I didn't listen to these, Eureka had the standard Frank, Mike and Arne commentaries. Vincent Lyn possibly joined Frank, Cynthia was interviewed specifically for the release, there was maybe a short fight scene commentary with her as well, Mang Hoi interview etc. Meaning that the newly produced VS extras will likely cover the same ground.

Edited by Knetan
  • Like 1

nahnahnah

FAXVkGl.jpeg

Anyone else think that the image is for Johnnie To's Lifeline? It's a Shaw Bros/Celestial film, whom we know VS have a deal with, and I remember posting on here that Sean Gilman stated that a non-Milkyway Johnnie To film was going to be released soon.

• Like 3

Looks like Lifeline indeed. VS having a deal with Shaw Bros/Celestial could mean that they have access to other non-Milkyway Johnnie To movies. One title I would love to see get released is the underrated Loving You.

• Like 2

Yihetuan
49 minutes ago, DiP said:

Looks like Lifeline indeed. VS having a deal with Shaw Bros/Celestial could mean that they have access to other non-Milkyway Johnnie To movies. One title I would love to see get released is the underrated Loving You.

That would be sweet since Spectrum released both films in a French only blu ray box set a couple years ago and I agree that Loving You is very underrated and one of Lau Ching-wan's best acting performances and Carman Lee as well. I was hoping someone picked up The Mission since it got a restoration a few years ago.

• Like 4

nahnahnah

The guy who owns the rights to The Mission also owns the rights to A City of Sadness, and he has publically stated at a screening last year for the latter that he wants it to be exclusive to theaters for three years. I would imagine this would also apply to The Mission (as well as other films he owns like The Puppetmaster, Raise the Red Lantern, To Live). Which means we likely won't see home video release for any of these films until 2026.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yihetuan

I was listening to the Frank Djeng commentary on the Kani Releasing blu ray of Man on the Brink and there was scene explained by Frank that just proves he's the best audio commentator bar none. The scene involves the lead, Eddie Chen partying with a group of Triads and one of the gals offers Eddie some bubble gum. Seems innocent enough but Frank explained that scene had the audience cracking up in the theater because it was a double entendre. The Cantonese for bubble gum and blow job are similar, so the gal was joking with Eddie by using slang for oral copulation while showing him a piece of gum. Who else would've explained that? Everyone in the scene was laughing but without explanation the viewer would've been left out of the joke and dumbfounded.

The disc also has a great bonus feature interview with the director Alex Cheung. He's still a bundle of energy and you can tell he just loves talking about his films and the HK heyday of TV and movies. He also has a breezy easy going way of talking about these films and history of the HK new wave that made him very engaging. I think it's one of the best interviews I've heard from a HK director.

• Like 6

Yihetuan
On 4/28/2024 at 7:15 AM, nahnahnah said:

The guy who owns the rights to The Mission also owns the rights to A City of Sadness, and he has publically stated at a screening last year for the latter that he wants it to be exclusive to theaters for three years. I would imagine this would also apply to The Mission (as well as other films he owns like The Puppetmaster, Raise the Red Lantern, To Live). Which means we likely won't see home video release for any of these films until 2026.

Huh? Raise the Red Lantern & To Live have had multiple blu ray releases most notable from Imprint Films and Nova Media.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

I was listening to the Frank Djeng commentary on the Kani Releasing blu ray of Man on the Brink and there was scene explained by Frank that just proves he's the best audio commentator bar none. The scene involves the lead, Eddie Chen partying with a group of Triads and one of the gals offers Eddie some bubble gum. Seems innocent enough but Frank explained that scene had the audience cracking up in the theater because it was a double entendre. The Cantonese for bubble gum and blow job are similar, so the gal was joking with Eddie by using slang for oral copulation while showing him a piece of gum. Who else would've explained that? Everyone in the scene was laughing but without explanation the viewer would've been left out of the joke and dumbfounded.

The disc also has a great bonus feature interview with the director Alex Cheung. He's still a bundle of energy and you can tell he just loves talking about his films and the HK heyday of TV and movies. He also has a breezy easy going way of talking about these films and history of the HK new wave that made him very engaging. I think it's one of the best interviews I've heard from a HK director.

That Alex Cheung is involved is a massive positive for a re-release like that.

• Like 4

Yggdrasil
4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

The Vietnamese word for 'penis' and 'market' is the same. Use the wrong tone, like I did, and you get some weird looks from the motorcycle drivers.

Stuck to writing it in Vietnamese after that, lol.

• Haha 2

nahnahnah
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Huh? Raise the Red Lantern & To Live have had multiple blu ray releases most notable from Imprint Films and Nova Media.

One film can have different rightsholder in different regions. Here is a paragraph from the Far East Film Festival (who are currently screening these films as we speak) confirming what I'm saying:

Apart from being the five masterpieces we all know them as, what do Johnnie To's The Mission, Zhang Yimou's To Live! and Raise the Red Lantern and Hou Hsiao-Hsien's The Puppetmaster and A City of Sadness have in common? What they have in common is a legendary producer in Taiwan's Chiu Fu-sheng and also the fact that they have been impossible to get hold of for decades. Five masterpieces that won prizes and were venerated in the West (a Golden Lion for A City of Sadness, a Silver Lion for  Raise the Red Lantern and a triumphal trio of prizes at Cannes for To Live!). And this is where the Far East Film Festival of Udine comes into play: Chiu Fu-sheng has decided to restore the five titles using the precious original negatives, and FEFF 26 (24 April/2 May 2024) will be hosting their world premieres!

Edited by nahnahnah

Niklaus Vogel
Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 9:00 PM, Yihetuan said:

That's the benefit of having not just a native Cantonese speaker, but also someone who grew up in Hong Kong watching these films doing audio commentaries and are familiar with pop culture references and slangs from the time these films were made.  I always love how Frank would point out that certain phrases and songs came from TV commercials of that era. Mike Leeder or Arne Venema would have never known that, as entertaining as their commentaries are to some folks.

Now that Gilbert Po no longer seems to be doing commentaries for Shout, Frank appears to once again be the sole commentator who's a native speaker. Hopefully he will do more commentaries for Shout too--I believe he's only done two Shaw titles for them.

Edited by Niklaus Vogel
  • Like 3

Yihetuan

Film Movement reissuing Samurai Wolf 1 & 2 as part of their deal as being a partner label with VS. the only difference is the slipcover.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 19-40-41 Samurai Wolf 1 & 2.png

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 19-40-48 Samurai Wolf 1 & 2.png

• Like 3

Yihetuan

Dekanalog another VS partner label is releasing the 2021 Chinese neo-noir thriller, Streetwise.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 19-44-47 Streetwise.png

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 19-44-52 Streetwise.png

• Like 4

Yihetuan

More Lino Brocka is a good thing. Appears VS partner label Kani Releasing in collab with Carlotta are going to put Bona out on blu ray later this year.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 21-33-26 Bona by Brocka is restored will be screened in Cannes 2024. r_FilmClubPH.png

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 21-33-32 Bona by Brocka is restored will be screened in Cannes 2024. r_FilmClubPH.png

• Like 1