Spectrum releases

Daxtreme

I thought this was a cool pic of HK legend, Teddy Robin holding a couple of Spectrum blu rays from Alex Cheung including Cops and Robbers in which he acted and performed the soundtrack. I remember the memorable scene in the night club where he's performing Li Zhen Si Fang and all the cops are rocking out to it. Also, The Saviour in which he also produced and did the soundtrack as well.

It's sad to say but in this modern era, a talent like Teddy Robin would've never made it in the HK music industry. It's all about looks and image now. Let's face it, a small hunchbacked man wouldn't cut it in today's scene even with his ginormous talent. He would've been relegated ghost writing songs for other artists. I'm glad Teddy broke out and found immense success back then.

Et2Q18IWQAIy3lH.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 5

thundered mantis

Yesterday I got the two Shaw Brothers "coffrets" of Bastard Swordsman & Return of the Bastard Swordsman; and Holy Flame & Demon of the Lute, pity the lack of eng subs but anyway happy to add them to my Shaw library. Surfing their catalog I found they have also released the film Gallants on BD. I knew of a Japanese  edition but always doubt if it was simply an upscale.

Can anyone comment on the quality of this release? Haven´t found online reviews for this one.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 3:21 AM, Yihetuan said:

Spectrum announced the Chang Cheh movie, Legend of the Fox on blu ray for the first time.

Screenshot_2022-03-10 (3) Spectrum Films Facebook.png

275125992_2536171986513560_8300151997586517046_n.jpg

Maybe it would be better to put the Spectrum Shaws' releases in the "Shaw Brothers on blu ray" thread ? I hadn't seen your post and just put the same in the mentioned thread...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wmcguire18 said:

This company has such good taste. Every release teases me. 

I agree!! It's a damn shame they won't include English Subs...:aLJFBQ00151070111C:

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

Duel to the Death

I wonder if Demon of the Lute and Holy Flame is the same length as the dvd. I really want them but disappointed they don't have english subtitles. But if i watch them on my computer i could use the subtitles from the dvd. Just not sure they will line up properly. They might though. 

• Like 1

Duel to the Death

I was trying to order from Spectrums website. I got all the way to screen where is validate my card with my bank (which was probably the final step) and i get an error saying Technical problem. Please try again later. Tried 3 times. The card is good. Just used it somewhere else. Not sure if there is any other site to buy Demon of the Lute/Holy Flame from?

1 hour ago, Duel to the Death said:

I was trying to order from Spectrums website. I got all the way to screen where is validate my card with my bank (which was probably the final step) and i get an error saying Technical problem. Please try again later. Tried 3 times. The card is good. Just used it somewhere else. Not sure if there is any other site to buy Demon of the Lute/Holy Flame from?

PM sent'

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I really dig Portrait in Crystal. Wish it came with English subs! :yociexpress09:

288647307_2619087364888688_5932631326401795790_n.jpg

Wait, wait, wait ! Portrait in Crystal ?! I don' t see it anywhere on their site ! Did I miss it ?

• Like 2

thundered mantis
On 6/14/2022 at 5:20 PM, Duel to the Death said:

That happens with international orders I believe, 'cause it happened to me, even though I live in Spain, which is next to France geographically lol.

Anyway, you can order from Metaluna store. Or you can send them Spectrum an email and they'll arrange international shipping for you. 

• Like 2

Duel to the Death
18 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

That happens with international orders I believe, 'cause it happened to me, even though I live in Spain, which is next to France geographically lol.

Anyway, you can order from Metaluna store. Or you can send them Spectrum an email and they'll arrange international shipping for you. 

I found a solution. But thanks. I was looking at Metaluna the other day. My issue is the shipping cost. 30 Euros for the movie, 30 Euros for the shipping. Ouch :BL-Exclamation:

• Like 1

thundered mantis

I think I watched this loong ago, but maybe I´m confusing it with another title. It does contain good physical action, doesn´t it?

Duel to the Death

For anybody interested, I can confirm that dvd subtitles for Holy Flame and Demon of the Lute do match up to the spectrum release, with some trickery. The Blu Ray adds a 11 second Celestial logo at the beginning. But if you trim that off or adjust the subtitle sync by 11 seconds or 11,000 milliseconds it works perfect. Both VLC and Potplayer has subtitle sync options. 

You can find the dvd subtitles online

• Like 7

Spectrum is releasing Stephen Teo's excellent book, Chinese Martial Arts: The Wuxia Tradition into French. I have the English version but the French edition's cover & design  is much nicer.

292605076_2637464346384323_1339480035352347335_n.jpg

• Like 4

Super Ninja

image.png.4161f2a34ab05d7880d54843d69caa13.png

Secret Service of the Imperial Court coming soon from Spectrum. 

I really, really hope that the UK release is not far away. 

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 3

suppose it's a good thing for me personally these shaw releases don't have english subs.i'd be bankrupt. It's a pity though,a lot of these i can't see getting english-friendly releases.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, saltysam said:

suppose it's a good thing for me personally these shaw releases don't have english subs.i'd be bankrupt. It's a pity though,a lot of these i can't see getting english-friendly releases.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=1067&page=4

One just doesn't see any reviews of these Spectrum releases in terms of pure audio and PQ quality as you do with 88, Arrow, Eureka, etc. This is no doubt in part due to the fact these are not English friendly. One of the few I found (other than just screenshots) was in the Criterion Forum and according to their assessment, Spectrum has their caveats and is a mixed bag for prospective buyers.

Re: Hong Kong Cinema: A Guide

#281 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:24 am

Cops & Robbers' master is awful, probably real HD but with absolutely no restoration work performed, faded colors and poor details overall.

I've seen (and reviewed) several Spectrum releases and while they're absolutely commandable for the movies they're releasing and the extras coming with them, they clearly don't filter their choices regarding the HD masters' quality. Some actually barely look HD at all (The Dragon Fighter for instance), often making me wonder the technical reason for putting those out on BD and not just DVD.

Devil Hunters is relatively OK visually, but the soundtrack is a nightmare. It's extremely muffled and shallow, like some of those Bruce Lee tracks that sound like they were recorded underwater. The Saviour also looks HD, but seems like a very old HD master full of sharpening and heavily over-saturated and with its contrast excessively boosted, and limited details overall.

Story of Woo Viet and Boat People are clearly from dated HD masters (though they look HD at least). Angel Terminator 2 looks very good, like a recent 2K work, but Angel Terminator 1 looks like a dated HD master again.
The Terrorizers is similar to Angel Terminator 1, Woo Viet and Boat People.

I don't doubt all those upgrade over how they were released before but these are still very limited way too often.

Their Bride with White Hair package is nice, though a tad expensive considering the 2 additionnal movies clearly are extra movies. The 1st movie uses a new 4K restoration like looks quite neat (though possibly a tad DNRed), but the sequel re-uses the awful old master with however a new color-grading (it still looks quite bad), and the 3rd movie is the recent White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom, which is only provided in 2D (no 3D version) and in 2.0 (not even a 5.1 track) because Spectrum haven't been able to obtain the 3D version and 5.1 tracks from the right-holder. For those who can understand French, it does pack almost 3hrs of extras !

Be aware that most of those BDs are 1080i50.

Out of their upcoming/most recent releases, only Lonely Fifteen is announced to be sourced from a new 2K restoration, so I don't have my hopes very high about the HD presentations of the other releases.

• Like 1