Phillip Ko Fei as Director Recommendations

Jonny

Anybody know which movies directed by Phillip Ko Fei are worth checking out? Noticed a few on YouTube. 

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

'Royal Sperm' is as good a place to start as any. :tongueout

Jokes aside, the short answer is to check out his 1989 - 1997 directorial run, with the exception of maybe 'Ultra Cop 2000' and 'Guardian Angel', which are both kind of unbearable. Just bear in mind that Ko Fei the director is very different to Ko Fei the old-school kung-fu movie actor. Directing was never his strong point, but the movies made during this period where cheap and cheerful, often filmed in the Philippines and frequently starring his then crush Yukari Oshima. They're disposable fun, nothing more nothing less. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

'Royal Sperm' is as good a place to start as any. :tongueout

Jokes aside, the short answer is to check out his 1989 - 1997 directorial run, with the exception of maybe 'Ultra Cop 2000' and 'Guardian Angel', which are both kind of unbearable. Just bear in mind that Ko Fei the director is very different to Ko Fei the old-school kung-fu movie actor. Directing was never his strong point, but the movies made during this period where cheap and cheerful, often filmed in the Philippines and frequently starring his then crush Yukari Oshima. They're disposable fun, nothing more nothing less. 

Okay.. thanks.. I started watching one on Amazon prime called Duwelo.. but I only lasted ten minutes. Realized it wasn’t a Kung fu movie .. if I’m going to watch a movie of that quality .. I atleast want to see some good fight scenes. 

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
4 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Okay.. thanks.. I started watching one on Amazon prime called Duwelo.. but I only lasted ten minutes. Realized it wasn’t a Kung fu movie .. if I’m going to watch a movie of that quality .. I atleast want to see some good fight scenes. 

Wow, you're going for a Ko Fei deep cut right there, while most of his work in the Philippines were cheapo HK co-productions that featured at least some familiar faces, 'Duwelo' was one of his few 100% Filipino productions.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Final Run and Killer's Romance are the only legitimatly "good" movies he directed, though there are fun cheapos beyond that as OAB said.

• Like 4

He co directed one in the 90s with Yuen Biao & wang Lung Wei... I cant remember the name of it though. 

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
28 minutes ago, Jonny said:

He co directed one in the 90s with Yuen Biao & wang Lung Wei... I cant remember the name of it though. 

Millennium Dragon from 1999.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

29 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Millennium Dragon which is absolute shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I saw a clip from it & it looked shit... so low budget... it’s a shame, because you have two good Kung fu stars there. 

Yuen Biao is one of the best, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Hard To Kill, Fatal Chase and Fury In Red are quite watchable and certainly preferable to Killer's Romance which is very light on action and has some atrocious car stunts. Lethal Panther 2 is a trash fest but there are some cool fight scenes and shootouts. I also like Techno Warriors, kind of a low budget Mortal Kombat movie with some nice action scenes. Never got to watch the sequel, though.

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer
On 4/2/2021 at 10:09 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Final Run and Killer's Romance are the only legitimatly "good" movies he directed

I recently got through watching 'Final Run' for the first time thanks to the German DVD (hilariously re-titled 'Born to Fight 5'), and gave it the full review treatment over at COF. Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/final-run-1989-review-philip-ko-fei-hong-kong/

• Like 4

15 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through watching 'Final Run' for the first time thanks to the German DVD (hilariously re-titled 'Born to Fight 5'), and gave it the full review treatment over at COF. Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/final-run-1989-review-philip-ko-fei-hong-kong/

Great review of a great film.I have a time code vhs of this,not the best quality but I still dig it out now and again just to watch the action.If ever a film needs an up-grade hd release this is it.

• Like 2

Majin Android
On 4/2/2021 at 4:50 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Definitely not good. Lotta bit parts in it too. Even Teddy Chiu is in this and a cameo by Leung Kar Yan. I suspect some of this was shot in the Philippines.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 2:28 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

German DVD (hilariously re-titled 'Born to Fight 5')

So what are parts 2 - 4?

And is part one the 2004 version? or the 1984 version?

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

So what are parts 2 - 4?

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

And is part one the 2004 version? or the 1984 version?

Neither.:tongueout

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 4:49 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

with the exception of maybe 'Ultra Cop 2000' and 'Guardian Angel', which are both kind of unbearable

Speaking of Ultracop 2000:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 4/6/2021 at 1:05 AM, kami said:

I also like Techno Warriors, kind of a low budget Mortal Kombat movie with some nice action scenes. Never got to watch the sequel, though.

I had the pleasure/dis-pleasure of reviewing both (I think my original post containing the review for 'Techno Warriors' got lost in the great forum blackout of 2016). Check them both out via the links below - 

Techno Warriors - 

https://cityonfire.com/techno-warriors-aka-computer-hero-1997-review-philip-ko-fei-nino-muhlac-darren-shahlavi/

Lethal Combat: Techno Warriors 2 - 

https://cityonfire.com/lethal-combat-techno-warriors-2-aka-digital-warriors-2000-review/