Bob Dylan Thread

Koravec

Figured I might as well dedicate a thread to Dylan. With him having been one of the singlehanded most influential artists of modern music.

• Like 2

Bob Dylan releases longest song to date. At almost 17 minutes long Murder Most Foul is released, said to have been recorded 'a while back'. The song deals with the JFK assassination and comes across as more spoken word in ways. The previous longest studio Dylan song was Highlands off the album Time Out of Mind in 1997.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

ShaolinMapache
52 minutes ago, Koravec said:

Figured I might as well dedicate a thread to Dylan. With him having been one of the singlehanded most influential artists of modern music.

I'm a big fan. I enjoyed his autobiography Chronicles, Volume One especially the parts where he talks about playing shows in the lower east side and how New York was during the early days of the folk revival. He has been so influential to music as whole.  

• Like 4

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, Koravec said:

Oh boy, is this forum ready to handle a fully dedicated Bob Dylan thread?.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Oh boy, is this forum ready to handle a fully dedicated Bob Dylan thread?.

Honestly probably not lol. I just thought it was noteworthy to mention the release of his now longest song. Didnt want to keep adding to the Rolling Thunder thread since all the replies on that one were mostly relevant to that documentary and era of Dylan. So personally no intentions for a full on Dylan excursion here. But thats not really for me to gage now. Figured it wouldnt need to take off too crazily since Ive mostly only encountered me and you being much of fans.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
14 minutes ago, Koravec said:

Honestly probably not lol. I just thought it was noteworthy to mention the release of his now longest song.

Great news, I hadnt heard aout this at all.

Bob Neuwirth said the orignnal version of Like A Rolling Stone was twenty plus minutes, before Dylan trimmed it back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Bob Neuwirth said the orignnal version of Like A Rolling Stone was twenty plus minutes, before Dylan trimmed it back.

I recall hearing something about him writing it significantly longer on paper whilst creating it, 5 or 15 pages or something? Would absolutely love to hear a full outtake like that.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

On 4/27/2020 at 8:05 AM, Koravec said:

The previous longest studio Dylan song was Highlands off the album Highlands in 1997.

That Highlands track, was lifted from the album Time out Of Mind(1997).

• Like 2

New Dylan album Rough and Rowdy ways announced, to be released June 19th.

Looks to be an all original album which is exciting. I was a big fan of his last original studio album Tempest, very underrated Dylan album in my opinion.

image.jpeg

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, Koravec said:

How do you mean?

You said the previous longest track was Highlands, from the album Highland's.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:05 AM, Koravec said:

The previous longest studio Dylan song was Highlands off the album Highlands in 1997.

The 16-minute long track is actually from the 1997 album Time Out of Mind. I don't think Bob Dylan released an album called Highland's?. Unless you are referring to a bootleg release?.

Planned Dylan biopic

"Actor Timothee Chalamet will portray music icon Bob Dylan in an upcoming biopic tentatively titled Going Electric.

The film will follow Dylan’s transition from folk singer to rock star, focusing on the legend’s controversial shift to electric guitar in 1965."

Sounds like a great watch

image.jpegIf this movie happens we better prepare for a huge incoming wave of young (female) listeners I would imagine.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

RIP Little Richard, knew he was a big influence on Dylan in his youth before delving into and discovering Guthrie and folk music.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

@DragonClaws What era of Dylan do you automatically think of or prefer when you think of him?

I was going to add a photo for the first post on this thread, most likely of a 1965 Dylan, but then I thought twice how hes went through slight transformations with his output over the years. One pic may not suffice for all thoe different eras. Or should I not think twice? (pun might of been intended).

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 5/12/2020 at 1:17 AM, Koravec said:

@DragonClaws What era of Dylan do you automatically think of or prefer when you think of him?

Tough one, I will have to get back to you on this one.

Just heard Percys Song for the first time I believe. Perhaps influenced by Pete Seeger's Turn, Turn, Turn, adaptation of a text from a hebrew bible. The song was an outtake of The Times They Are A Changin'.

Was made aware a couple years ago that Bob Dylan wrote the basis of Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show, a very popular country tune of recent years. A 70s outtake that was never properly recorded or even finished by Dylan I believe. 

I had only heard Positively 4th Street about 4 years ago. Couldnt believe what I was hearing on the radio, a mid 60s Dylan track I had never heard. Hadnt heard since it was never released on a studio album. 

Dont get me wrong Ive thoroughly listened to about 3 or 4 large Dylan bootleg cds of material but still had never come across those tracks somehow before. 

Lastly is a Love is Just a Four Letter Word cover done in a fashion of what his version might of sounded like. Pretty neat, props to the user named Billy Manas for the rendition. As the video caption reads "Bob Dylan wrote "Love is Just a Four Letter Word" in 1965 and gave it to Joan Baez to record. No known copy of Dylan performing the song exists anywhere" 

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Koravec said:

I had only heard Positively 4th Street about 4 years ago. Couldnt believe what I was hearing on the radio, a mid 60s Dylan track I had never heard. Hadnt heard since it was never released on a studio album. 

My introducton was via Desire/Freewheelin Bob Dylan on tape, than I bought the then latest Best of - The Essential Bob Dylan on C-D. This had Positively 4th Street as part of the collection.

Lastly is a Love is Just a Four Letter Word cover done in a fashion of what his version might of sounded like. Pretty neat, props to the user named Billy Manas for the rendition. As the video caption reads "Bob Dylan wrote "Love is Just a Four Letter Word" in 1965 and gave it to Joan Baez to record. No known copy of Dylan performing the song exists anywhere" 

I only know the Joan Baez version of this song.

influenced by Pete Seeger's Turn, Turn, Turn,

I have only listened to the The Byrd's 1960's version, which was released on one of their albums?.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

My introducton was via Desire/Freewheelin Bob Dylan on tape

My introduction was Highway 61 Revisited on cd as a sort of blind buy in 7nth grade. Incredible album. Changed my perspective.

10 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I only know the Joan Baez version of this song.

Apparently Arlo Guthrie covered it too, I need to listen to that later. Funny how Woody influenced Bob and Bob influenced Arlo.

I remember from a Dylan doc where the Baez version is being played back to Dylan and he goes something like "wow thats a nice tune man, who wrote that" and she was like 'you did ya dope', always kinda wondered if he was just messing with her by asking that or actually forgot having wrote it.

13 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I have only listened to the The Byrd's 1960's version, which was released on one of their albums?.

I have yet to ever get into the Byrds. As much as Ive always had a thing for 60s bands, I could never tolerate a Dylan cover, still barely can, unless in the rare occassion I feel its done right. So the Bryds softer more easier rendition style of rugged folk music definitely didnt agree with me. But you know, I actually havent listened to much Pete Seeger either.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

My introduction was the grammys I think? When soybomb came out and hijacked the stage, lol. 

• Like 1

New dylan not a bad effort by any means, not necessarily as strong as tempest, highlight remains the tempest-esque opus muder most foul

straight up old man music though haha, later day dylan, murder most foul still feels nice and drawn out even in 2x speed

• Like 2

Was really surprised to see that Fantano (theneedledrop on youtube) reviewed Dylans new album. I pretty much agreed with most of the points he made about it.

• Like 2

"Someones got it in for me, there planting stories in the press, whoever it is I wish they would cut it out quick, but when they will I can only guess" - Bob Dylan

• Like 1