Gangs Of London (2019)

JackieChan

I thought Joe Cole was great in both Offender and A Prayer Before Dawn. Can't wait to see how he does here.

• Like 2

This looks dope, I heard about it on the kung fu movie guide podcast.

Any chance we will be able to stream this in US?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, paimeifist said:

This looks dope, I heard about it on the kung fu movie guide podcast.

Any chance we will be able to stream this in US?

It's supposed to come out on Cinemax. 

• Like 2

Well this is out now, in the UK at least, all episodes On Demand. I;m watching the feature length pilot later. First new action directed by Gareth Evans for such a long time, can't wait!

• Like 3

Well. That was excellent. The best way I can describe it is if Sammo Hung directed a Guy Ritchie script, it might look something like this. Anybody expecting The Raid should temper their expectations. This is a sprawling crime epic and as such takes its time setting up the interweaving plots and characters.

So when the action hits.... it is like a good old English pub brawl on acid. Fantastic use of props, some genuinely original kills and of course Evans' filming and framing is masterful. The fight scene towards the end of episode 1 is my favourite so far, you believe these people are fighting for their lives and the brutality increases accordingly!

• Like 5

I will be watching this tonight. Looking forward to it. I needed a new series to check out, although I have so many kung fu movies to watch also. 

• Like 2

Is anyone else watching? Look; the action is phenomenal but I'm on episode 3 and... I have to say I'm not exactly hooked. The characters aren't that interesting which means the central plot about drug smuggling and the interweaving gangs really doesn't grip me at all. Joe Cole is excellent in other things but here? He's given little more to do than scowl. I'm sorely tempted to just fast forward to the action.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Is anyone else watching? Look; the action is phenomenal but I'm on episode 3 and... I have to say I'm not exactly hooked. The characters aren't that interesting which means the central plot about drug smuggling and the interweaving gangs really doesn't grip me at all. Joe Cole is excellent in other things but here? He's given little more to do than scowl. I'm sorely tempted to just fast forward to the action.

This is exactly how I felt during the whole episode 1, not too interested in the characters. Have you watched the Amazon Prime show ZeroZeroZero? This show had me hooked and interested in ALL the characters on the show?

• Like 3

DragonClaws

This series is now showing on Sky, for any U.K customer who have the serivce. My other half has just donwloaded the first 9 episodes of the show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SMK said:

This is exactly how I felt during the whole episode 1, not too interested in the characters. Have you watched the Amazon Prime show ZeroZeroZero? This show had me hooked and interested in ALL the characters on the show?

I haven't, I shall give it a look. What did you think of episode 2 of Gangs?

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

The first episode of Gangs... blew my socks off. A great introduction to the world and the characters. Some of them may not have depth yet but the show have eight more episodes. I can’t wait to jump into the second.

Also, the two fight sequences were excellent. Not the rhythmic stylish stuff of The Raid. It’s brutal and scrappy stuff. Loved it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SamSeed said:

I haven't, I shall give it a look. What did you think of episode 2 of Gangs?

I have not yet watched episode 2, probably will tonight. I'll report back. 

• Like 1

On episode 4 now

Spoiler

I love the action. But. I hate the way in episode 4, Shaun survives not through guile or actions. Because plot convenience. The sniper had ages to shoot him as did the girl at the end. They hesitate for no reason and it really aggravates me. Did anyone else feel this?

• Like 2

Spoiler

Well, Episode 5, my goodness! Evans returns to direct and it is essentially first half plot second half an all out action assault! No martial arts sadly but the gunplay is phenomenal and very, very bloody.

• Like 1

Watched the last episode of this today and all I could think to myself was, "meh"!

I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes even though there were no characters I really warmed to and wanted to learn more about. After that, the following episodes just went downhill for me.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

I might be going against the grain here but this was probably the best nine episodes of television I've ever seen. I'll take this over any season of Game of Thrones. Loved it.

Yes, it's cold but I think it's meant to be. I liked it that way. The characters are given depth, the action is superb and the various "big moments" were truly gripping. I cannt wait for a season two.

• Like 4

Frank Bolte

watched it and I didnt expect too much martial arts..it had actually more than that I thought it will have...

it had the intensity and brutality of the raid films..certainly Evans handwriting but it didnt totally caught me

at times it was lengthy and dragging but all in all totally Quality tv.. better than a lot of Cinema movies...

it took me a week to watch the whole series… Zero Zero Zero we watched in one sitting..that was crazy..

• Like 3

Meh... not sure what to make of this one. At times it was pretty entertaining with some excellent and utterly violent action scenes. But somehow I didn't connect to any of the characters. Or just not nearly enough to keep me engaged. Also the story at least to me is all over the place, quite a mess frankly.

What's problematic is when a series doesn't develop as the episodes play out. I felt sometimes they were just trying to connect different set pieces of violence.

Also the the last episode was a huge let down. Overall I expected more in terms of story and characters. No doubt there's some ingenious people here when it comes to the action. But especially for a series there needs to be more than just that.

• Like 4

As people have already said there are times when this is great but there are other times especially the last few episodes where I didn’t really care what happens,especially to Mr Wallace.I think there was just to much going on for me but it still had its moments.Worth checking out but not brilliant.👍👍👎

• Like 1