Returned Single-Legged Man (1974): Charles Han Yong-Cheol, Bae Su-Cheong, Kwan Yung Moon, Choe Jae-Ho

DragonClaws

Returned Single Legged Man    (1974)

a.k.a The Korean Connection

Fight Choreographer- Unknown

Directed By- Lee Doo-Yong

Starring- Charles Han Yong-Cheol, Bae Su-Cheon, Kwan Yung-Moon, Park Dong-Yong, Kim Wang-Kuk, Chui Chin, Choe Jae-Ho, Jeong Ae-Jeong, Lee So-Yeong.

Plot Synopsis- Young hero, Yong-Cheol(Han Yong-Cheol), lives a life filled with heartache and heavy drinking. After he witnessed the death of his wife brother, at the hands of Yamamoto(Bau Su-Cheon). The deviant and psychotic Japanese gang leader, also steals his wife, and proceeds to get rich, of his step-fathers fortune. Will the young Cheol, get his act together?, or will Yamamoto live a life of twisted luxury?.

"Everybody call's me Flute, because I use it, to beat up cowards like you"

The Korean Spider, Charles Han Yong-Cheol(Buddhist Fists & Mantis Claws), stars in this 1974 south Korean fight film, from Director Lee Doo-Yong(The Invincible Armour). The Japanese vs Chinese rivalry, that played the back drop to so many old school films of the era. Was still running strong, when this hit Asian cinemas. I'm pleased to say this picture is cut above most of those films despite its low budget. This production features some cutting edge fight choreography, and a sweet looking visual style,to accompany it. The film opens with a restaurant bust-up, featuring three big stylishly dressed thugs. Played by Choe Jae-Ho(Dragon Fist), and 1970'S Korean regulars Park Dong-Yong(Enter The Game of Death) and Chiu-Chin(Eagle VS Silver Fox). The throwing knife wielding, Dong-Yong looks like he could be the brother or relative of Kwan Yung-Moon?, when you see his facial features. The bold- headed and powerful looking Chiu-Chin, can be spotted in countless productions from this decade. Their characters are seeking out the young Yong-Cheol, only to end up fighting some half-wit's, who think they can throw a decent punch. The fight is short, sweet, and to the point, featuring a brutal triple head-butt, by Chiu-Chin double axe brandishing thug.

"A shadow, who passes through without leaving footsteps"

Despite searching this title on both the HKMDB & KMDB, I was unable to come up with the choreographer/s name?. Even the review by our resident Korean cinema expert @One Armed Boxer, came up empty, as to who delivered the on-screen, super-kick saturated throw-downs. The screen combat here, is so superior to a lot of action direction, seen in Hong Kong/Taiwanese flicks from the mid-70's. It's got a whole different rhythm going on behind it, complimented, with a slightly different visual style. Some of the fights are captured and edited, in that style only the South Korean film-makers could pull off at the time. One of the productions best examples of this, can be seen, in the fight between Yong-Cheol and his future wife's brother, who I think is played by Choe Sung-Kwan?.

"Your sister, will be my wife"

"Maybe so, but you'll have to kill me first"

It's one of those multiple location skipping showdowns, often reserved for the finale of a feature. Here the two go for broke, and sharp-eyed fans should keep an eye out, for a crew members arm, around the twenty-minute mark. When two stuntmen, are falling down a hillside you can just see an arm reach out to stop them. It's a great extended fight, with the usual super human feats of leaping high, and surviving incredible falls. The choreography is by no means a wire/trampoline fest, but I would be lying if I said all the action was grounded. Also, when the two fighters land in a river there's a tracking shot of the water, with accompanying sounds of fist blows. Despite the fighters being under-water at-this time. Yong-Cheol’s wife to be also manages to see all-of the dust-up, even though she never moves from the same location. Another strong example of the change in fighting rhythm, seen here, takes place on a long Korean suspension bridge. We will get to back to that one, later in this ramble.

Despite a pretty simplistic plot the story is told through flashbacks and cuts between present and past, for most of the movies 85-minute run-time. You have-to pay attention otherwise you will find it hard to follow what's going on. The version I watched is the subtitled wide-screen print, currently on YouTube and its run's ten minutes longer then some 75-minute DVD versions. The picture quality is vast improvement over the DVD version's, from what I've read. Though I'm sure there's a fan custom that's out there some-where?. If there isn’t, they should use this clean looking, original aspect ratio print as a source.

"Go to Yamamoto, and tell him, Yong Cheol has come back from the dead, he's returned to avenge his father, his fiancee, and his people"

The hero, of the story, really has a rough ride, when it comes to settling down with the lady in his life. After an epic fight with his future brother in law, Yong-Cheol must face an even tougher adversary, in his stepfather played by Korean cinema regular, Kim Wang-Kuk(Snake And Crane Arts Of Shaolin). He rescued a very young Yong-Cheol, from a payless job, and a beating at the hands of sadistic policeman. In return, for Cheol services in the Korean Japanese Resistance. Only when Cheol falls for a woman, and wants to settle down it doesn’t go down well with his adoptive father. Things sure where hard for young men in Korea, who wanted to pursue their feelings for a woman. What with challenges from his angry brother law and putting up with beatings from relatives. I guess nowadays, he would just put his name on dating site, or head to the local singles night.

"Who's the bigger thief, me, or the people who work me, but won’t pay me?"

Now getting back to that suspension bridge brawl, one man kicking-machine, Chong-Yeol makes an entrance, taken straight from the Sergio Leone's classic, Once Upon A Time in The West(1969). Appearing from behind a passing train, his walk beat's out a simple and determined forward marching rhythm, as his shoes meet the bridges hard surface. Here, you can really see why I call him the Korean Spider, with his long, flexible legs reaching villain heads from all angles. It's a great action set piece, that still holds up well in the noughties. Though, there's an unintentional funny moment when a dummy, takes a high fall from the bridge.

"Three against one drunk, let’s see what you are capable of?, against a single Flutist"

How did I get this far into my write-up without mention the Mad Korean and exceptional Martial Artist, Kwan Yung-Moon?. Here he plays some mad-ass version of the Pied Piper of Hamelin, complete with knee high socks flashy waist coat and a flute, that also conceals an iron bar. Hi, character could be the star of a movie all on his own. Here he gets plenty of screen time and really shows off his skills in the final forty minutes. With a dungeon set fight being a real stand-out moment for him to show off. The finale starts around the fifty- minute mark and apart from a few brief dips in the pace, it carries on until the final minutes. While most of the action is of the economic kind, towards the end we get more extended fights, which is a real plus here. The mad Korean even gets a brief dust-up with fellow super-kicker and future star in his own right, Hwang Jang Lee. Keep your eyes out for him, wearing a funky looking purple waist coat, with matching trousers, and minus the trade-mark moustache. HJL might spent most of the film standing around still, as the villain’s main henchmen. However, it’s clear to see his future talents in his very brief part of the finale.

9Below)The Pied Piper of Hamelin

image.png.bfe4c2dafbe2b4eca3d147b78ef9e13f.png

"I dedicate that morbid tune to everyone"

Even when he wasn’t the star of the production Hwang Jang Lee never seemed to play just one of the countless thugs. Even in this early minor role he commands a strong high ranking presence. Guess this had a lot to do with his credential off-screen?. Special mention needs to go to one of the kings of screen villainy, Bae Su-Cheon, who was also a great bad-gu, in the Korean shot Bruce & Shaolin Kung Fu 2(1977) and its sequel. Only here he less honourable, to put it bluntly, he's a raving fruit cake. With the most grating cackle of a laugh in Kung Fu cinema history. When he shoots the heroes father after his deviant sexual ways get interrupted by him, he dances around in his underpants laughing out loud. In a moment that felt liked it lasted much longer than-it actually did. One of my few gripes is that Yong Cheol doesn’t get to have a real one on one bare knuckle bust up with him. I don’t think Su-Cheon was too well versed in the empty handed fighting arts?, as his characters, always seem to rely on a sword of some kind. Though our hero does get to use his head like a small hanging punch bag.

"It's the first time I've lost, and it might be my last?"

While I really enjoyed viewing Return of Single Legged Man it's not without its flaws. None of the ladies featured get to show any fighting skills at all. Their presence is also a little light, with only two, actress’s among the entire cast. Neither of whom I can find a name for, so if anyone could help me out with this I'd be very grateful. While we don't get to see any physical girl power, our heroes girlfriend shows huge mental resilience, by surviving the psychological torment from the warped Yamamoto. This film also has a big political message, of putting your country before your own interest even before your own partner. This is made very clear by the many verbal digs thrown at Yong-Cheol throughout the story. Would a contemporary action film from the same country be any different now?. My last brief nit-pick, is the use of over-cranking, and missing frames, to speed up the action, at times it just looks hokey.

Overall, I'd recommend the Return of Single Legged Man to any fans of the old school genre. Han Yeong-Chol makes for a very good hero and he’s got some excellent support. Especially worth tracking down if you are looking for something a little bit different, to what was being produced/churned out during the Kung Fu boom era. It's not often I highlight a cinematographer from a independent movie such as this. How-ever Choi Jong-Gol, captured the stunning locations with style. One knock-out shot that springs to mind see two fight's, framed on a high hillside, with the river and valley many miles below them. For those who have never watched any Korean Martial Arts cinema this would be a great place to start. It only took me three years to get round to watching it, after reading Paul Bramhall’s solid review/recommendation back in a late 2015 Mutual Reviews Thread

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

While the movie certainly looks interesting and worth watching, I feel I should suggest that you do a bit of proofreading when it comes to these longer, more in-depth reviews. There were a number of punctuation errors, especially with regards to using commas where they weren't necessary, that interrupted the flow of your sentences. On a couple of occasions, you separated two independent clauses with a comma, where it could've been two separate sentences. The review itself is fine, the movie looks interesting, and there's no doubting your passion for these lesser-known 70s films. Please don't think I'm putting you down. I just want you to realize your potential as a reviewer.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 8:30 AM, DrNgor said:

Please don't think I'm putting you down. I just want you to realize your potential as a reviewer.

I dont think that at all I Know contructive critique and how it differ's, to simply ripping someones work apart.

My proof readin, is something I've never been very good at, I can look at my work multiple times and still spot stuff I'd change etc. For someone who has dyslexia, correcting my own writing has never been a huge strong point. From school to University, it's always been a weak spot of mine. Also, some reviews I get more time to proof read than other's. Despite the errors you pointed out, I do try to at least look over my writing a couple of times when it comes to materiel I post here.

Edited by DragonClaws

One Armed Boxer

Thanks to the Korean Film Archive this is now available in HD with English subtitles on their Korean Classic Film channel - 

• Like 4

Super Ninja
12 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I'm gonna grab this. You never know when they take it down!

Any luck? I tried and couldn't dl it.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Subs are a nightmare. They are smart, they got rid of the timestamps for duration. I would have to time each line. I mean like I said, you can cast to your TV and it will look great.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
On 3/9/2023 at 8:50 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I mean you can just watch it as well....

That won't satisfy my prepper needs. I'm creating a digital/physical library in case of the apocalypse. Wouldn't wanna live for the rest of my life in a nuclear bunker without fu, might as well shoot myself.

I'll watch it eventually, but I honestly would like to own it in whatever form and format. As you said, you never know when they're gonna take it down.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

Despite reviewing this one right here on the forum back in 2015 based on the edited, dubbed, and re-titled 'The Korean Connection', the opportunity to check it out in its original version and language (in HD no less!) thanks to the KOFA's recent release led me to re-visit my initial take, and give it a revised review based on how it's supposed to be seen over at COF. Check it out below -

https://cityonfire.com/returned-single-legged-man-aka-the-korean-connection-1974-review/

On 11/16/2018 at 7:03 AM, DragonClaws said:

espite searching this title on both the HKMDB & KMDB, I was unable to come up with the choreographer/s name?

Kwan Yung-moon and Nam Chung-il are on choreography duty for this one.

One of the productions best examples of this, can be seen, in the fight between Yong-Cheol and his future wife's brother, who I think is played by Choe Sung-Kwan?

It's actually Jo Yeong-jun.

None of the ladies featured get to show any fighting skills at all. Their presence is also a little light, with only two, actress’s among the entire cast. Neither of whom I can find a name for, so if anyone could help me out with this I'd be very grateful.

Lee So-yeong plays Yong-cheol's wife (although in the original version, she's not actually his wife!), while Jong Sonyeo plays the other female character.

Definitely revisit this one via the KOFA's channel on YouTube @DragonClaws, I think you'll find it a revelation, and would be keen to hear your thoughts!

• Like 5

osbournecox
On 3/9/2023 at 7:05 PM, Super Ninja said:

Any luck? I tried and couldn't dl it.

there seems to be something with the video file.. i use a website to grab YT videos for offline watching and usually the downloads are finished within 2-5 mins, depending on the size. in this case it took 4-5 hrs(!) but eventually it worked out. it doesn't grab the subtitles but i watched the german dvd a while ago, so this was not too much of an issue for me.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
22 hours ago, osbournecox said:

there seems to be something with the video file.. i use a website to grab YT videos for offline watching and usually the downloads are finished within 2-5 mins, depending on the size. in this case it took 4-5 hrs(!) but eventually it worked out. it doesn't grab the subtitles but i watched the german dvd a while ago, so this was not too much of an issue for me.

I usually use 4K dl'er for the YT movies, couldn't stand watching them with all the adds, however it couldn't parse the link. So I used Stacher, it didn't take long, and dl'ed the subs here. I haven't yet seen the movie to check if it all works fine though.

@BornToDefense thanks for the subs and suggesting Stacher.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

I usually use 4K dl'er for the YT movies, couldn't stand watching them with all the adds, however it couldn't parse the link. So I used Stacher, it didn't take long, and dl'ed the subs here. I haven't yet seen the movie to check if it all works fine though.

@BornToDefense thanks for the subs and suggesting Stacher.

I would also add that DownloadHelper also works and downloaded this YT very quickly for me in mp4.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 3/19/2023 at 11:29 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Definitely revisit this one via the KOFA's channel on YouTube @DragonClaws, I think you'll find it a revelation, and would be keen to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for answering those questions Paul, is the film still up on their site?. Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit behind on the forums over the past year. Just had other things eating up my spare time.

One Armed Boxer
10 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Paul, is the film still up on their site?

No worries, and the film is still up, same link as in my earlier post - 

• Like 1

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

No worries, and the film is still up, same link as in my earlier post - 

Thanks Paul, Ill have to watch this over the weekend. Its about time I revisisted some Old-School Korean Martial Arts cinema.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
Posted (edited)

I feel that with RSLM the genre moved from its Manchu Western roots, making a step towards standing on its own. While the intro is spaghetti Western-inspired, it plays to a funk tune and the rest of the soundtrack doesn't feature Western-type music. Some of the shots show obvious influence, however, there are no dusty plains and wannabe deserts, and the setting is more modern, more "urban" if I can say so, using restaurants, bars, a graveyard, and a Western-style villa for locations. The colorful sets and costumes are still very much in the Manchu Western tradition though. Despite sharing a lot of the actors (also the bald guy is using an axe as his weapon of choice again) and motives (a girl asking Han's hero to avenge her father), RSLM is of a different tone than Manchurian Tiger and has a story that feels more Korean and less borrowed.

Though the title of the movie and comparisons to Zatoichi and One-Armed Boxer would lead you to believe Single-Legged Man is a crippled fighter, this is not the case. Guess the comparison was on account of how big of a cinematic hero these characters were within national boundaries. 

RSLM proves that Korean fight flicks of the era also portrayed the Japanese wearing a Hitler mustache. The character in question is not the villain of the story, but he's no good guy either.

Being the Bridge of Death is unavailable, we'll have to assume this is the taekwon action movie that introduced acrobatics into the formula. The question is did the inclusion of Nam Chung-il in the film's fight choreography lead to this or is Kwan Young-moon to be credited? It's a shame there was no proper fight between Han Yong-cheol and Hwang Jang-lee though it's clear Hwang wasn't that big of a star at the time. Once Han's character decides not to be a drunken bum anymore, the movie picks up the pace and starts kicking ass. The graveyard duel and the Harbin bridge fight were the highlights for me.

Interesting comparison with Donnie's movie @One Armed Boxer. Manchurian Tiger had Han blow out a candle with his spinning kick, predating Benny in Wheels on Meals by 10 years. Six candles for Benny though.

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 3

I just got done watching this.

I really liked it. I thought the choreography by Kwan Yung-Moon was a lot more assured than in The Manchurian Tiger and the handwork was more convincing--it looked particularly weak in TMT. It takes a little while to get going, but once it does, it's consistently entertaining. I also liked that Kwan Yung-Moon gets more fight time than he did in TMT, which was only a small cameo fight. And the climax--a huge brawl involving Charles Han, Kwang Yung-Moon and his escrima flute, and Kim Moon-joo and his cane sword, plus a dozen Taekwondo-trained stuntmen.

I do have a few qualms with the film:

Spoiler

1. There was a hard cut during the attempted rape scene of Lee So-yeong's character when the adoptive father Wang walks in him. It goes from "What are you doing?" to him getting shot in the back. I guess some footage was lost?

2. I found the denouement to be disappointing. I'm not sure why Lee So-yeong killed herself after the main villain is dispatched. I mean, he "married her" via rape and it was clear she still had feelings for Tiger. So what happened? And at no point did I see where Kim Moon-joo was dealth a death blow, but there he is lying among the dead. 

• Like 1