Morbius (2022) - Jared Leto, Matt Smith, Adria Arjona

AlbertV

latest?cb=20150912001845

The Hollywood Reporter has just announced that Jared Leto will play the vampiric anti-hero Morbius in his own solo film that will be part of Sony's Spider-Verse. Daniel Espinosa is slated to direct the film.

" Morbius is Dr. Michael Morbius, a scientist who suffered from a rare blood disease and attempted to cure himself to disastrous results. Instead of being cured, he became afflicted with a condition that was a form of vampirism — the thirst for blood, along with fangs and super strength — and fought Spider-Man. Over time, however, he became a slightly heroic figure in his own right and even headlined his own comic book titles."

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

I'm not sure they're tackling the Spider-verse properly. This seems like a very odd choice.

Then again, Espinosa did a solid job with Life. It was a really tense alien thriller. Maybe he can pull off a vampire tale. We all know the true vampire of the Marvel world is Blade though.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
On 6/27/2018 at 3:38 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I'm not sure they're tackling the Spider-verse properly. This seems like a very odd choice.

Then again, Espinosa did a solid job with Life. It was a really tense alien thriller. Maybe he can pull off a vampire tale. We all know the true vampire of the Marvel world is Blade though.

Blade was a rather boring 3rd tier character in the Marvel universe in the 70's and tied predominantly to their Dracula story line. He was revamped (pun!) in the early 90's and translated well to the silver screen.

I would contend that Morbius is the true vampire of the Marvel universe with an interesting backstory not steeped in traditional vampire lore. I think Leto would suit the character. Hopefully the film will stick to the origin. I'd love it if they went with the original suit as pictured above, but seeing as the character also go a makeover in the 90's as well with a more Goth look, I believe that would translate better to the big screen. Just as long as they keep the wings/cape. It helps the costume and feel of the character.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
5 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Filming is set to begin in February

They better get busy casting folks then. According to IMDB page for the movie, Leto is the only actor listed. I'd be curious who the writers/director plan to pit the character against, too. Morbius is an anti-hero type. He doesn't really have a rogues gallery. It would be sweet if Man-Wolf was brought into this. 

@Karlos, care to weigh in here?

• Like 3

Am amazed that they are making a Morbius film!

I don't know a ton about him, beyond the occassional comic appearance - and didn't he pop up in the 90s Spidey 'toon? - but I always found him a compelling character.

Shame he didn't cameo in the recent Venom flick - any good, BTW?

@ShaOW!linDude

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
On 10/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, Karlos said:

Shame he didn't cameo in the recent Venom flick - any good, BTW?

I, for one, have no interest in the Venom movie, so I'm not the person to ask. 

• Like 2

Matt Smith is joining the cast of Morbius.  "Character details are unknown for Smith, who is known for his work in Doctor Who and The Crown.”  News at  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/morbius-movie-casts-matt-smith-1178945   Morbius has a theatrical release date of July 31, 2020.  

Matt Smith Picture

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

I hear Matt Smith may play the villain of the film, Loxias "Hunger" Crown

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

I haven't read the reactions to this trailer yet but I think it looks good! Somewhat Blade-ish. Somewhat Venom-ish. I'll be buying ticket for this one.

• Like 2

Matt Smith is confirmed to play the villain Loxias Crown, also known as Hunger. He will face off against Leto's Morbius. From Marvel's official website:

Loxias Crown is the Vampiric being known as Hunger. Gaining his vampire-like abilities from an experiment involving the Living Vampire Morbius, nothing can stop his insatiable thirst for the power he gains from the blood of others.

• Like 3

Well, I honestly never thought we would be getting a film adaptation of Morbius. It actually looks pretty good too. 

• Like 2

Just saw it, actually liked it. Some weird scenes where it was like leto wasnt even acting (expressionless and not even in a keanu way) and just says the lines, but pretty badass movie. 

More of a vampire flick than a superhero movie. Want to say its like a ‘direct-to-fox’ movie. Meaning I kept imagining it just playing during the day on fox tv type of movie, is fox even around anymore?  

Actually quite sad characterization of the villains disillusionment, probably far too naively. Hed have to really be secluded from the world (which maybe he has) to be this detached, or just psychopathic which is also believable. Imagine trying to geuss which of the two main characters (antihero and villain) played joker if you were really that unaware. The villains facial features, dancing, and psychopathy are classic joker to a tee.

Not a bad one to watch if you really dont have much else to do. Also very little to say about it. A movie that could really be summed up in a 5 minute clip and youd understand every second of it.

bonus kung fu easter egg: theres a scene where a guy pays with counterfeit money so leto follows him in hopes of finding a secret workshop to hijack from the criminals to work out of. When he goes there theyre playing a 70s kung fu movie on their tv in the background. What are they trying to say, kung fu flicks are for delinquents? 

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

The movie is getting an absolute critical drubbing, even though the audience score is noticeably better:

image.png.5f6c989f7424566a999ccaa6b2ad75ec.png

• Like 2

Super Ninja

The trailer was promising an awful movie so my expectations were low from the start. The only reason why I'm gonna watch it is because I saw every MCU movie thus far. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Koravec said:

This is considered “sony-verse” not mcu though, right? Not entirely aure how that works.

It is the Sony-verse, but the credits sequence cross-references the MCU in a way that a lot of people are complaining about.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
22 hours ago, Koravec said:

@Super Ninja This is considered “sony-verse” not mcu though, right? Not entirely aure how that works.

I wondered that myself so I checked it before posting.

Venom was followed by Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) and Morbius (2022), both of which have mid-credit scenes that feature elements from the multiverse concept to link the SSU with the MCU.

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 2

Certain characters (namely Spider-Man) are allowed to crossover between the SSU and the MCU as Sony and Marvel have brokered a deal for Spidey to be in both universes. As for the SSU, they include Spider-Man characters including Kraven the Hunter (Aaron Taylor Johnson), Morbius (Jared Leto), Venom (Tom Hardy), Vulture (Michael Keaton), Madame Web (Dakota Johnson) to form their own universe. However, if a deal between Marvel and Sony can be made with some of these other characters, then they can crossover. 

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

As a life-long horror fan I totally dug reading Morbius (and Werewolf By Night, Swamp Thing, Man-Thing, EC comics) as a kid and was cautiously optimistic when I heard they were making a movie based on the character. I think the Venom movies are just okay, so since MORBIUS was also coming from Sony I was not expecting much. But then I saw the trailer, and to my surprise they actually made the character (facially) look very much like he's supposed to look. After so many other comic-book characters- especially villains- were depicted in ways that varied immensely from their established likenesses (The Lizard, Green Goblin, The Vulture, Electro), seeing they had stayed true to Morbius' appropriate visage foretold of great possibilities.

The day my son and I were seeing an early sneek preview (it was either 2 or 3 days early) he said "I have bad news. It's only got an 18% on Rotten Tomatoes." Now that's pretty low, but I still figured that it would be fun, even if it was "bad". Well, despite the first act feeling like a string of worn out cliches (in every way- the story and dialogue, the way it was shot, etc.) it still looked good and was mildly fun in a goofy sort of way. When they finally showed Morbius in vamp mode he looked great... until he moved. The filmmakers, in their infinite wisdom, opted to use a strange effect that always looked like he was made up of little particles or something that kind of moved behind him like dye coming off new blue jeans in a pool. It looks kind of interesting, but makes zero sense to the character or story. It's not trails exactly, which would at least denote his great speed. It's just... visual noise. And that kind of sums up the whole film; it looks decent, but in a pointless, meandering sort of way. Just noise. Being hampered by a PG-13 rating wasn't doing the film any favors, but even if it was NC-17 it wouldn't have solved most of the problems. Halfway through the film it already felt like it had been playing for two hours, and the second half dragged on and on. I was so f**king bored. So our over-priced tickets got us 104 minutes of empty nonsense* with occasional flashes of fun (Ironically, afterwards we watched DUNE- which I'd missed in the theater-and its 155 minute running time flew by). At least the extremely over-priced popcorn was good. Thumbs down on this movie. 4/10

*Speaking of empty nonsense... Reportedly Jared Leto was "so Method" on set that he refused to walk to the bathroom without staying in character and using his character's crutches, causing delays in filming until he finally agreed to let people push him in a wheelchair to speed things up. Ya know what "acting" means, Jared? You jackass! For this film he did that shit. This film!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Super Ninja

Surprisingly, this sucked far less then expected, even though it looks a bit like Buffy on steroids. Perfect choice for a lazy Sunday afternoon watch when you want a movie that asks for zero brain activity. Best part? Flying Guillotine 2 playing on the TV in the background in one scene. 

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

While it's not great, I liked Morbius better than the new Batman flick. It didn't waste anytime getting to vampire aspect, and didn't drag out the transformation. Tight story, good casting, decently paced action. (Didn't realize Leto went "method" on this. Seems a bit extreme. This ain't "My Left Foot" and doesn't call for Daniel Day Lewis dedication.) My only qualms were that there was really a fitting antagonist and the finale is short on action, most of which is just slamming each other around. I'm down for a sequel, and Leta has been vocal about how he'd like a film where Morbius is pitted against Tom Holland's Spidey, which is as it should be. Do it right & Sony would be printing money.

• Like 2