Bruce Lee The Man & The Legend (1973) - The First Official Documentary

DragonClaws

Cheer You On
16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Didnt Bruce Lee also have some outstanding debts with Raymond Chow?.

Yes. Matthew Polly had Andre Morgan on record as saying that Bruce used Chow as a piggy bank. Through Chow, Bruce got a Mercedes, a posh house (for HK standards), a mink coat and a gold Rolls-Royce.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 6/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, Cheer You On said:

Yes. Matthew Polly had Andre Morgan on record as saying that Bruce used Chow as a piggy bank. Through Chow, Bruce got a Mercedes, a posh house (for HK standards), a mink coat and a gold Rolls-Royce.

He also helped out many people who had financial struggles in Hong Kong, and Polly highlights one such story. Where he helped a former childhood friend, who was struggling with addiction problems.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

In Bruce Lee the Man the Legend (1973), Golden Harvest used footage of Martial Arts demonstrations from Bruce Lee personal film collection. Was this also the case with the footage of the two Gung Fu fighter demonstrating technique in the later (1983) re-cut titled Bruce Lee: The Legend?. Cinematographer Nishimoto Tadashi said Bruce Lee planned do a documentary, about Martial Artist from around the world before he passed away. Was he already shooting material for this project when he passed?.

• Like 1

@DragonClaws funny, I noticed this footage too when I rewatched this doc on Criterions set. It's definitely a karate tournament from the 60s as some familiar faces are in there. I couldn't help but crack up when I realized a certain "Bruce Lee Central" channel used this same footage claiming it was "Bruce" fighting in a tournament 🤣

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Just now, Ah_Tao said:

I couldn't help but crack up when I realized a certain "Bruce Lee Central" channel used this same footage claiming it was "Bruce" fighting in a tournament 🤣

Ive watched one of the videos on there, and that was enough for me. Is it just a way of keeping Bruce Lee's face on social media?, or just some bad joke?.

Do you think the demo footage from the Bruce Lee: The Legend was filmed at Golden Harvest?.

• Love 1

Just now, DragonClaws said:

Ive watched one of the videos on there, and that was enough for me. Is it just a way of keeping Bruce Lee's face on social media?, or just some bad joke?.

Do you think the demo footage from the Bruce Lee: The Legend was filmed at Golden Harvest?.

That footage could have been, but we would never know. From what I understand a lot of that footage was in Hong Kong (Nora Miao interview, GoD test footage). It's a high possibility that was shot there just like this interview was (Bruce Lee rooftop recreation).

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Just now, Ah_Tao said:

It's a high possibility that was shot there just like this interview was (Bruce Lee rooftop recreation).

Don’t quote me, but I seem to recall that those images were taken for the Martial Art Documentary project I mentioned in my previous post?. Maybe they filmed some footage on the rooftop?, at the same time the pictures were taken?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Don’t quote, but I seem to recall that those images were taken for the Martial Art Documentary project I mentioned in my previous post?. Maybe they filmed some footage on the rooftop?, at the same time the pictures were taken?.

That would be very interesting! I really do like the extra footage both docs bring to the table

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Just now, Ah_Tao said:

That would be very interesting! I really do like the extra footage both docs bring to the table

Maybe the orginal Hong Kong theatrical release featured more of the Wong Shun Leung & Joey Wong screentest with Wu Ngan etc?. There must more footage from this screentest, than what Golden Harvest decided to use back in 1973.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Maybe the orginal Hong Kong theatrical release featured more of the Wong Shun Leung & Joey Wong screentest with Wu Ngan etc?. There must more footage from this screentest, than what Golden Harvest decided to use back in 1973.

Oh absolutely. Look at the Raymond Chow footage where he gets out of a screening. I'm sure there's more footage locked away in a vault where it rots. It's really sad how long it's taken to get the long awaited Log Footage that's in GoD

• Like 1

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Oh absolutely. Look at the Raymond Chow footage where he gets out of a screening. I'm sure there's more footage locked away in a vault where it rots. It's really sad how long it's taken to get the long awaited Log Footage that's in GoD

Always amazed me how much Game of Death footage they used, you get to see most of the 15 minutes used in the (1978) cut & splice flick, and even stuff they didn't use there, including outtakes etc. I guess with Enter the Dragons low box-office in Hong Kong, Chow didnt plan to complete the movie at that time?. His international success at the box office post death, along with the demand for more Bruce Lee films around the wolrd probably changed his mind?. Odd how quickly the G.O.D footage was put together for the documentary, suggesting they already had a rough cut of what they captured in (1972)?.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Kevin Chan
On 2/1/2024 at 6:48 PM, DragonClaws said:

I guess with Enter the Dragons low box-office in Hong Kong, Chow didnt plan to complete the movie at that time?

As far as I understood they just really had no idea where the original Game of Death was supposed to go in terms of the overall plot. It was supposed to be a rather spiritual movie, and the scenes and fights that Bruce managed to shoot he shot because he had the chance to because those fighters / friends were available at that time. At least that's how I understand.

Which makes it so much harder to believe that Chow thought hiring Robert Clouse to finish the movie was a good idea, lol.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 9:45 AM, Kevin Chan said:

As far as I understood they just really had no idea where the original Game of Death was supposed to go in terms of the overall plot. It was supposed to be a rather spiritual movie, and the scenes and fights that Bruce managed to shoot he shot because he had the chance to because those fighters / friends were available at that time. At least that's how I understand.

Like others have mentioned in the past, it was pre-sold to Japan, so I guess he had to do something with it before (1980). Not sure if Raymond Chow had a deadline from the Japanese distributors?, he had sold the film pre to Bruce Lee 's passing.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:45 AM, Kevin Chan said:

Which makes it so much harder to believe that Chow thought hiring Robert Clouse to finish the movie was a good idea, lol.

Maybe it helped with selling the movie, the English language trailer makes a mention of the film having some of the same crew as Enter the Dragon. The English language trailer makes a big deal of Director Robert Clouse ETD connection, producer Raymond Chow & star Bruce Lee. Selling you the fact it some of the same people behind that very succesful film, rather than some director with no connection to Bruce Lee's legacy.

I sometimes feel that Tower of Death, might have originally started out as Game of Death completion project?. With the orIginal plan of putting the pogoda footage in their somewhere. Before they finished the script and story etc, the current film plays more like a sequel to Enter the Dragon.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

CastleOfDeath

Yeah, I wrote it elsewhere, I think it's obvious that GOD 2 was partialy shot (at least the first 35mn) before GOD.

Hence why in Cannes 1977, they announced "one hour in the can" though Clouse had not begun to shoot anything.

The initial plan was probably to bring Clouse to complete the film, and for the publicity (+ an asset to sell the film internationaly). Clouse removed the old footage, and mad the film we know, so they later decide to use the GOD 2 footage and bring back Kim Tai-chung to complete the film and release it as GOD 2.

Hence why two death from the helicopter exist. Plus two use of the funeral footage. Plus two times the same scene in both HK GOD 1 and GOD 2.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, CastleOfDeath said:

Yeah, I wrote it elsewhere, I think it's obvious that GOD 2 was partialy shot (at least the first 35mn) before GOD.

Hence why in Cannes 1977, they announced "one hour in the can" though Clouse had not begun to shoot anything.

The initial plan was probably to bring Clouse to complete the film, and for the publicity (+ an asset to sell the film internationaly). Clouse removed the old footage, and mad the film we know, so they later decide to use the GOD 2 footage and bring back Kim Tai-chung to complete the film and release it as GOD 2.

Hence why two death from the helicopter exist. Plus two use of the funeral footage. Plus two times the same scene in both HK GOD 1 and GOD 2.

I don't think that's correct. The two helicopter death scenes are due to two different characters dying - the denim dude in the Korean version, "Billy Lo" in the HK version. The latter was a revision when at some point they decided to change the film so that Kim Tai-chung was playing Billy and Bobby Lo. There was a delay of two years between the Korean release and the HK release.

I don't think any footage was shot by GH for GOD '78 prior to Clouse coming on board, the "one hour in the can" likely refers to the footage Bruce shot, which Clouse then mostly threw out.

• Like 1

CastleOfDeath

Then why the glass house fight is in both films? Also the funeral. And why Kim's face is in shadows during the Super 8 mm briefing? Amongst other stuff. See how Arrow used the footage to the prologue of the Lee footage, it fits perfectly. Of course, just a theory.

• Like 1

tomgray2404
3 hours ago, CastleOfDeath said:

Then why the glass house fight is in both films? Also the funeral. And why Kim's face is in shadows during the Super 8 mm briefing? Amongst other stuff. See how Arrow used the footage to the prologue of the Lee footage, it fits perfectly. Of course, just a theory.

The greenhouse fight was shot and choreographed by Sammo for Game of Death because they had to amp up the choreography for a Hong Kong audience. Sammo used Casanova Wong, who was on location for Warriors Two.

That fight was inserted into the international version of Tower of Death in the 1980s. Golden Harvest/ Paragon did that because it had never been seen outside of Hong Kong. They also used the HK GOD credit sequences for Tower.

Tower of Death was filmed in 79 because GOD did huge business in Japan. I'm sure Roy Horan confirms that in a commentary.

• Like 1

Coliseum1972
Posted (edited)

Dunno about '78 but Gam* II was mostly don* cuz Japan

I dont think entr Dragon was a flop in HK , just wasnt as big hit as BB/FoF. They say 007 OHMSS flopped but it did decent biz in 1969 , just wasnt as big as TB/YOLT (kinda unfair comparison with TB as that was a major smash hit)

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 1

DragonClaws
Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 2:56 AM, CastleOfDeath said:

See how Arrow used the footage to the prologue of the Lee footage, it fits perfectly. Of course, just a theory.

That was a cool idea, I would have used a re-creation of Bruce Lee's orignal opening, with the shots of the trees bending in the wind with the rigid ones breaking. With the dialogue Hai Tien gives to Dan Inosanto character, concerning the the inability to adapt as he tweeks the bamboo rod playing over the shot. Followed by a credit sequnence useing the orignal Concord Pictures logo from the start of Way of The Dragon and John Barrys (1978) opening theme. Then fade into the pogoda footage.

If WB would have allowed for it, they could have used a re-edted version of the scene where he gets briefed in that movie. Some say there are outtakes from this sequnece also.

Edited by DragonClaws

CastleOfDeath

I don't think the glass house was shot for GOD 1 after Clouse left (see the other thread), the dialogue is clearly fitting into Bruce Lee's GOD and not the Clouse film, they are masters who have an argument over their style and want to demonstrate. It fits GOD 2 but not GOD 1. Plus, Kim gets older as GOD 2 advance. Everything hints to a shoot that was abandoned and then recycled.

• Like 1

tomgray2404
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, CastleOfDeath said:

I don't think the glass house was shot for GOD 1 after Clouse left (see the other thread), the dialogue is clearly fitting into Bruce Lee's GOD and not the Clouse film, they are masters who have an argument over their style and want to demonstrate. It fits GOD 2 but not GOD 1. Plus, Kim gets older as GOD 2 advance. Everything hints to a shoot that was abandoned and then recycled.

Sorry, pal, I don't know where the other thread is.

I don't have the source, but I'm positive that the greenhouse scene was shot to replace the fight where Billy Lo visits his uncle. That fight was viewed as too tame and omitted from the HK cut. The same thing happened with The Protector (1985). They also shot additional scenes with the warning note from Dr. Land and edited in clips from The Way of the Dragon.

I keep in touch with Andre Morgan. I was speaking to him through the week about the Bruce Lee documentary that was on the BBC. He's a straight shooter and would address the matter.

As for the dialogue in the greenhouse fight, the scene is shot without sound, so we don't know what's being said. Billy Lo shows up with the warning note from Land and they fight. The choreography is more in the HK style, but that was the whole point. When Game of Death 2 came around, they dubbed it into English to fit a new story.

Edited by tomgray2404
  • Like 2