Akshay Kumar

AlbertV

akshay_story_650_061714060153.jpg

Bollywood icon Akshay Kumar has been in the industry for almost thirty years, appearing in a variety of films from romantic comedy to action films. When it comes to action, Kumar is one of the few Bollywood talents who didn't need to learn martial arts for films because he already has a martial arts background. And it is martial arts that is one of Kumar's biggest passions. 

Born Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia on September 9, 1967, Akshay earned a black belt in taekwondo when he went to Bangkok, where he worked as a waiter and chef. There, he studied Muay Thai. Returning to India, Akshay became a martial arts teacher when a student encouraged him to try out modeling. This would lead to his first film role, a 15-second role as a karate instructor in Aaj. Akshay has always wanted to become an actor and gained the support of his father. 

His breakout role would be in the film Khiladi in 1992 and from there, just about any movie that had the word Khiladi in its title, had Kumar in it. However, Kumar not only got to do martial arts and stunts, he has done his share of drama, horror, and romantic comedy. 

When he's not acting, Kumar focuses on teaching martial arts, specifically to females in need of self-defense. He has trained his wife, one-time popular actress Twinkle Khanna, and recently his co-star of Brothers, Jacqueline Fernandez. He is in the midst of opening his own chain of martial arts schools in India. He was the host of a martial arts documentary on National Geographic entitled Seven Deadly Arts. He also appeared as the star of Chandni Chowk to China with Roger Yuan and Gordon Liu. He also hosts an annual martial arts tournament and even has had his now 13-year old son Aarav involved in martial arts. 

Here's Akshay kicking butt in the film Keemat, with one of his frequent collaborators and veteran Bollywood actor, Saif Ali Khan

Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi

Dancer (1991)

One of Kumar's fight scenes was influenced by Tony Jaa's Ong-Bak

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife loves this guy, watches all his films repeatedly

We recently watched Brothers which I thought was good but not as good as the Tom Hardy original

My wife loves this guy, watches all his films repeatedly

We recently watched Brothers which I thought was good but not as good as the Tom Hardy original

I saw Brothers this weekend and it was almost as good as Warrior, but just missed it by a little bit. The twist in the plot halfway through proved to be a very vital point in the film, but that last hour, the tournament, that I actually liked. Only wished Daniel Bernhardt wasn't wasted in his fight. 

Fight scene from Ashaant, reminded me a bit of Kill or be Killed with a dash of Way of the Dragon (the chest hair grab)

Main Khiladi Tu Anari

Elaan

Zaalim

Archived