The Yearly Hong Kong Film Awards - Best Action Design Nominations

Milkyway

Fang Shih-yu

Sometimes, some awards some people get are either dubious or...posthumous!:tongue: It's all cool, in this situation!:smile: Somewhere, Fu Sheng is smiling....

Kara won the best actress award at the HK Film Awards tonight!

She was all tears and spoke of her descent from popularity after winning the 1st HK Film Award for best actress. She mentioned that she almost committed suicide but was saved by close friends.

Boy, Bodyguards and Assassins cleaned house! Glad to have such a noted film from this year's awards in my collection! :bigsmile:

Lifetime Achievement Award

Winner:

• Lau Kar-Keung

A monumental acknowledgment, for a remarkable career of an original, trendsetting talent in HK Cinema.

Kudos to Lau Sifu!

:nerd:

:khi8j:

I was glad with the Lifetime Achievement Award for Master Lau Kar Leung, he is a genious!

Applauses for Bodyguards and Assassins! And for Nicholas Tse specially!

Alexandra

Shinjuku for best picture (and director)? That's a suprise. Red Cliff II kicks its ass. Sadly haven't seen any of the others yet.

Wang Po Chi'eh - I guess - was disqualified by those political stuff between the triangle "China Mainland, Taiwan, Hong Kong". He made a taiwanese film Winds of September (2008) ...maybe the jury considered that as Best New Performer could be for a hongkonese one...

Ah, Shinjuku Incident... I don't agree with the nomination as Best Picture and Director. The Jackie Chan Team saturated along the decades with nominations and awards won, and is time to give chances to the new generation of directors, actors, etc.

Red Cliff is a marvel, that is a movie. I don't see Echoes of the Rainbow yet, and won several awards.

Alexandra

I'm glad B&A won alot of the categories. Tbh though, it wasn't the best Chinese movie of the year because there were other highly potential competitors (that either didn't win or weren't included) that deserved to be in and win some of the categories alot more.

I'm glad B&A won alot of the categories. Tbh though, it wasn't the best Chinese movie of the year because there were other highly potential competitors (that either didn't win or weren't included) that deserved to be in and win some of the categories alot more.

It's great that an Historical, epic, film with actors not always know for great performances get acknowledgment and pull out nominations over often-preferred projects. (Yen and Tse immediately come to mind.)

I felt Red Cliff Pts 1&2 deserved more, however, I support the outcome.

ShaOW!linDude

Well, I would think Sammo is a lock to win since he's nominated twice in the Best Action Design category.

(Wow, their awards are as one-sided as the Oscars are here.:tongue:)

Well, 2010 surely wasn't a bad year for HK movies. Would have probably picked the same five flicks for "Best Picture", with Pan Ho Cheung's LOVE IN A PUFF and DREAM HOME following closely behind.

Out of the five nominees for best picture, I'd go for either Gallants or The Stool Pigeon, but I would definitely included Love in a Puff in the five nominees. I don't think Ip Man 2 was good enough for a best pic nomination though! out of the action category, I'd have to vote for Legend of the Fist. I am surprised that True Legend didn't get a nomination. surely it must count as an HK film if Confucius is eligible? it states that to be eligible a film must qualify for 2 of the 3 categories (director is HK resident, at least 1 film company is registered in HK, at least 6 crew members are HK residents). I'd assume Yuen Woo-Ping is an HK resident, Edko Films was a production company on this and they're registered in HK, and from looking at the crew members clearly more than 6 must be HK residents.

I'm a YWP devotee but thought that TRUE LEGEND was a pretty uneven affair with a somewhat tacked-on ending that was a real downer for me. Definitely not amongst the five best HK flicks from last year, no way.

yeah sorry, I meant I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for the best action design award. it definitely should have been nominated for that I think. I'm just surprised it didn't get a single nomination in any category when even Triple Tap got one nomination!

• Administrator

I thought Bruce Leung and Chen Kuan-Tai should have been nominated for their acting in GALLANTS. Chen's performance was especially nuanced and it was great to see him get to stretch his dramatic chops as well as his still impressive kung fu abilities.

I wish I could watch the awards show broadcast with English subs.

Hong Kong Film Awards 2011

Biggest winner was Tsui Hark's Detective Dee winning 6 awards including Best Director. Sammo Hung won best action award for Ip Man 2. Surprise of the night Best Picture going to low budget martial arts comedy Gallants. Here is the list:

Best Picture:

GALLANTS

Best Director:

Tsui Hark - DETECTIVE DEE AND THE MYSTERY OF THE PHANTOM FLAME

Best Actor:

Nicolas Tse - THE STOOL PIGEON

Best Actress:

Carina Lau - DETECTIVE DEE AND THE MYSTERY OF THE PHANTOM FLAME

Best Supporting Actor:

Teddy Robin - GALLANTS

Best Supporting Actress:

Susan Shaw - GALLANTS

Best Screenplay:

Pang Ho Cheung, Heiward Mak - LOVE IN A PUFF

Best New Artist:

Hanjin Tan - BRUCE LEE, MY BROTHER

Best Cinematography:

Peter Pau - CONFUCIUS

Best Editing:

Cheung Ka Fai - IP MAN 2

Best Art Direction:

DETECTIVE DEE AND THE MYSTERY OF THE PHANTOM FLAME

Best Costume Design & Make-Up:

Best Action Direction:

Sammo Hung - IP MAN 2

Best Score:

Teddy Robin - GALLANTS

Best Song:

"Here To Stay" - MERRY-GO-ROUND

Best Sound:

Best Visual effects:

Best Asian Film:

CONFESSIONS (Japan)

Best New Director:

Felix Chong - ONCE A GANGSTER

Professional Achievement Award:

Willie Chan Chi-Keung

Lifetime Achievement Award:

Terry Lai Siu-Ping

Lau Kar-Leung aka Liu Chia-Liang receiving Lifetime Achievement Award at 29th Annual Hong Kong Film Awards on 18th April 2010

-AiK9PCvDCw