What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

blue_skies

Undisputed 3 - very good movie and I hope Scott Adkins gets a chance to return to the role.

The Victim - OK it's really classic kung-fu rather than modern but it really is bloody entertaining stuff! Some of it looked a little slow but was really gripping and I had forgotten how good it really was. :xd:

In Hell - as I speak I'm about half-an-hour in to this Jean Claude Van Damme movie. I hope it gets better because I'm really not enjoying it.:squigglemouth:

• Like 1

Blood and Bone - I was a little disappointed with this expecting something on par with Undisputed 3. Unfortunately I didn't think this was in the same league. Michael Jai White, for me, looked very impressive. He looked extremely powerful and I look forward to seeing more of his films. However I didn't think there was enough complex choreography and would rather see more like the end fight.

Not sure I'm that keen on seeing lots of oversized slabs of beef as main fighters. Personally I want to see lots of fast movement, kicks punches and blocks. Not some steroid commercial gurning as he takes the kicks and punches.

I also don't like on the extras how they are talking about this film as if it's something extraordinary. Yes the martial-arts is grounded and "Real" , Michael Jai White is definitely something special as I have said. However there has been tons of better martial-arts films in the last decade or so without wirework, including from the United States that make this film Ordinary.

The drama was OK, the actors above the norm for this sort of thing. Still could be much better with a decent script writer.

Overall Michael Jai White looks a real force I just hope he gets to make the right kind of films with the right people behind him. I personally would like to see him face to face with Donnie Yen in a movie, I think that would make a challenging match-up.:xd:

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
Blood and Bone - I was a little disappointed with this expecting something on par with Undisputed 3. Unfortunately I didn't think this was in the same league.

Sorry, dude. I feel bad as I was the one suggesting so strongly that you get this.:cry:

• Like 1

blue_skies
Sorry, dude. I feel bad as I was the one suggesting so strongly that you get this.:cry:

SD, don't worry about it. It was very cheap so while I'm disappointed, it's nowhere near as much as I could have been had it been full price. Was good to see Michael Jai White in more than a trailer. I just hope he doesn't try to continue down this mixed martial-arts path especially with the same old tired underground fight Club scenario. Unfortunately I fear he could become popular in certain circles doing just that. :squigglemouth:

We definitely saw glimpses of what he was capable of and I just hope he isn't one of those martial-arts actors we talk about that could have been great.

• Like 1

blue_skies

The Master - a good Jet Li movie that I really like because it's not chock-full of wirework and has some good action.

• Like 1

Coliseum1972

I think Police Story III and IV are much more fun to watch than I and II........New PS was good too , prolly among JCs best acting imo.

*hides for cover*

• Like 1

blue_skies
I think Police Story III and IV are much more fun to watch than I and II........New PS was good too , prolly among JCs best acting imo.

*hides for cover*

well I'm with you with police story 3 as it's my favourite of the series and among Jackie Chan's best in my opinion. Can't say I was particularly fussed with New Police story.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
well I'm with you with police story 3 as it's my favourite of the series and among Jackie Chan's best in my opinion. Can't say I was particularly fussed with New Police story.

Yeah I think many people have a soft spot for 'Police Story 3', myself included, even if Maggie Cheung is given a criminally short amount of screen time.

In regards to 'New Police Story', I think it was to be enjoyed at the time probably more than now, simply because of what it was released in the midst of. It was the 'Twins Effect 2', 'The Medallion', and 'Around the World in 80 Days' Chan era, so when NPS story came along, a traditional HK action movie, it was nothing short of a miracle.

• Like 1

blue_skies

Ninja - nothing particularly special but is a pretty entertaining martial-arts action flick. Adkins was good but I think he can do better. Far better than Ninja Assassin but why do they use crappy CGI blood? Admittedly it looks better than that of what's used in Ninja Assassin, but practical effects looks so much better. I was also disappointed with the female lead (she was gorgeous though:tongue:)and although she was a ninja she was still pretty much the damsel in distress. I wish they had used a martial-arts actress and changed the story slightly to accommodate her. Overall though I enjoyed the movie despite my small gripes.

• Like 1

I watched Shaolin the other night. I had seriously high expectations for this film what with the trailer and positive review on Twitch so think I built it up to much in my head as I was slightly (only slightly) disappointed in it.

Still really good film and I can't wait to watch it again with my expectations somewhat adjusted. I wish all the fights could have been like the first hand to hand encounter in the movie. That was just awesome.

There's some brilliant and even touching moments, but it felt slightly uneven as a film on first viewing. Like I say, will definately watch this again as I reckon it could be a grower, as was Ip Man with me.

• Like 1

Muay Thai Chaiya (working on review for the main page) and Fatal Combat (the review is up on the main page)

• Like 1

blue_skies
street warrior-decent b movie

With the guy from "The Unit" ? Is he any good during the action?

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
SD, would be nice if you linked your page in.:bigsmile:

Hadn't thought of that. (Because I'm a goober.:tongue:)

I'll do that with the next one. Thanks for the idea.

ULTIMATE FORCE

See "My Many MiniReviews".

The one with Cro Cop?

Oh boy. I rented it a couple years ago. Chee-zy.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
The one with Cro Cop?

Oh boy. I rented it a couple years ago. Chee-zy.

The very same.

Over in my review thread, OpiumKungFuCracker posted that he got KO'ed in his last bout.

Must've focusing on his film career too much to train.:tongue:

• Like 1

The very same.

Over in my review thread, OpiumKungFuCracker posted that he got KO'ed in his last bout.

Must've focusing on his film career too much to train.:tongue:

If only; Cro Cop hasn't been in any movies in ages.

He's old, his knees are beyond shot these days and he can't take a punch much anymore. :sad:

• Like 1