City on Fire ranks Bruce Lee’s movies (from Worst to Best)

mpm74

The Big Boss as number 1,wtf,I can’t agree with that but each to there own.I personally thought the Big Boss  had bad production values and bad acting,the shining light was Bruce but for me it doesn’t come close to Fist of Fury.

Edited by sym8
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2020 at 6:42 PM, mpm74 said:

I know it's a topic that has been done to death, but hopefully some interesting insight... 

https://cityonfire.com/city-on-fire-ranks-bruce-lee-movies-from-worst-to-best-top-10-greatest-worse-5/

Great article @mpm74, have any of the CityonFire.Com team reviewed Game of Death(1978)?. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Great article @mpm74, have any of the CityonFire.Com team reviewed Game of Death(1978)?. 

Thanks a lot. And thanks @One Armed Boxer for directing him to the review. There's a hard rumor going around that author Joe Kenney has awoken since the release of CRITERION'S Bruce lee set. 

Hopefully 2020/2021 will be the year we see a physical, full copy of his book: https://cityonfire.com/game-of-death-game-over/

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I've scheduled a Way of the Dragon watch for this Saturday. My wife's first time watching it I hope it's not terrible! I haven't watched it in years.

What's the best audio track to watch it with? I have the Criterion boxset and want to watch in its best form.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

What's the best audio track to watch it with? I have the Criterion boxset and want to watch in its best form.

Personally, I'd prefer the English dub. Some great quotables!

"We need more time."
"More time? You stupid bastard!"

---

"May I help you?"
"May you help me? Sure. I'd like some Chinese spare ribs."
"Chinese spareribs?"
"Er...you mean to say that you...you don't know what Chinese spare ribs are?"
"Nuh uh."
"Well, let me show ya' man!"
*punches Unicorn Chan in the ribs*

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
5 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Personally, I'd prefer the English dub. Some great quotables!

"We need more time."
"More time? You stupid bastard!"

---

"May I help you?"
"May you help me? Sure. I'd like some Chinese spare ribs."
"Chinese spareribs?"
"Er...you mean to say that you...you don't know what Chinese spare ribs are?"
"Nuh uh."
"Well, let me show ya' man!"
*punches Unicorn Chan in the ribs*

My fave is

"Who...can...do...karate...betterthanJapanese!"

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I’ve always watched Bruce movies dubbed too but the missus despises dub tracks and prefers to watch with subtitles. 

I read somewhere that Bruce does the Mandarin audio for several characters. That might be fun to listen to.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

In the Mandarin dubs, Bruce does some of the English language lines. He dubs Bob Baker in Fist of Fury, and in Way of the Dragon, he dubs the black thug, the policeman and some of Jon Benn's lines (the rest dubbed by Ted Thomas).

• Like 4

On 8/20/2020 at 2:52 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

The 'Game of Death' review is a classic from the archives, featuring 3 reviews in 1!  Check it out here -

https://cityonfire.com/game-of-death-1978/

Thanks for the link, I may have read that one before and forgotten about it. There are so many CityonFire.Com reviews hitting the site on a weekly basis, its hard to remember them all.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:11 PM, DragonClaws said:

There are so many CityonFire.Com reviews hitting the site on a weekly basis, its hard to remember them all.

Here's a handy A-Z Review link in case you ever get bored, which there's a high risk of whenever viewing a Bruce Lee movie. :tongueout

• Like 2

Hey everyone, slightly confused, I thought the Bruce Lee films were originally released in Cantonese in HK (in contrast to the shaws studio and their preference for mandarin).

Am I wrong in that?

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, Ramji said:

Hey everyone, slightly confused, I thought the Bruce Lee films were originally released in Cantonese in HK (in contrast to the shaws studio and their preference for mandarin).

Am I wrong in that?

Yes.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I've scheduled a Way of the Dragon watch for this Saturday. My wife's first time watching it I hope it's not terrible! I haven't watched it in years.

Easily Lee's best film! I took my girlfriend to see it in a theatre 2 weeks ago and she loved it too, her first ever kung fu film. I love it so much I went to see it twice on the same week :lol:

On 8/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The best track IMO would be the genuine Japanese Theatrical English with the Mike Remedios songs and Lee's battle cries, but unfortunately the Criterion set only includes a modified version of it (some of the music is missing, and some of it is in the wrong place).

Oh and here's an unpopular opinion: Fist of Fury is Lee's least good film (of the complete ones). It's good, but it's just somehow too safe a filmmaking... either not light enough, or not dark enough.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
3 hours ago, Ramji said:

I see, so when were the Cantonese soundtracks created? 

1981/2 first video release.

• Like 3

Thanks for the information, that's really annoying then that the medium rare blu ray set hasn't got the original mandarin mono for Fist of Fury. Damn. 

Edited by Ramji
  • Like 1